I can measurably show there is a differences between speaker cables

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
It's because although the differences can be shown to exist they also appear as small. That's not what their marketing blurb says.
Let's not forget cumulative differences. From mains to digital to analogue to speaker cables. then the difference gets much profound.

Samd

insider9 said:
It's because although the differences can be shown to exist they also appear as small. That's not what their marketing blurb says.

If manufacturers can extol the virtues of dog muck, then they can exaggerate the virtues of improved dog muck.

Sorry but I genuinely believe something is either missing or missed.

insider9

Samd said:
insider9 said:

If manufacturers can extol the virtues of dog muck, then they can exaggerate the virtues of improved dog muck.

Sorry but I genuinely believe something is either missing or missed.

Not quite... I'm not the first person in the world who's done such a thing. Nordost have done similar measurements too. Only thing that's missing is it probably doesn't align with their financial interest. Otherwise they'd continue to do so.

https://nordost.com/downloads/NewApproachesToAudioMeasurement.pdf

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Can you confirm the guage, strands and length of all 3 wires, please?

I'd also recommend doing many tests on each wire and checking the average incase each reading is slightly different.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
Can you confirm the guage, strands and length of all 3 wires, please?

I'd also recommend doing many tests on each wire and checking the average incase each reading is slightly different.

I've compared as much as I could. There are differences. Unless there's something wrong with the methodology only explanation is that they measure differently. I'll quote my comment about the cables so I don't have to type it again.

insider9

insider9 said:
By the way these are cables used in comparison I purposely didn't name them on graphs as the point of the experiment to see if differences are measurable, not really what the differences were.

A - NYY-J / solid core copper 2.5mm2 / £2.35 per meter (unterminated) link

B - Cambridge Audio Ulta 100 / stranded silver plated copper 2.5mm2 / £4.99 per meter (unterminated) link

C - TQ Silver / details unknown / £96 per meter (terminated) link

I've named them A, B, C above. Fancy guessing which one is CABLE 1, 2, 3 as annotated on the graphs?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The Law of Cables.

1. If you heard Cables sound different - You didn't.

2. If your Wife heard Cables sound different - She didn't

3. If you did a blind ABX test that showed a difference - You did it wrong

4. If you conducted the ABX test correctly - It doesn't count, if it's not Peer Reviewed

5. If you measured a difference - You measured the wrong thing

6. If you measured the right thing - You did it wrong, so it doesn't count.

*unknw* *dash1*

insider9

CnoEvil said:
The Law of Cables.

4. If you conducted the ABX test correctly - It doesn't count, if it's not Peer Reviewed

*unknw* *dash1*

*biggrin*

andyjm said:
How about trying mains cables next.......

Project already started *ok*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The Law of Cables.

*unknw* *dash1*

Cno, if I told you to go and measure something with a wonky ruler, that measured differently depending on its mood, time of day, suggestions it had received about likely length to be measured, you would rightly suggest I am mad.

Yet you persist in 'let your ears be the judge' when all available evidence is that ears are no better than my wonky ruler at objective judgement.

You then try to justify your view of reality by dismissing technical arguments why the differences you hear are not due to changes in sound but your perception of the sound.

You are centainly at liberty to do this - it is after all a public forum, but don't be surprised when others call out this viewpoint as fundamentally flawed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
andyjm said:
You are centainly at liberty to do this - it is after all a public forum, but don't be surprised when others call out this viewpoint as fundamentally flawed.

Not only am I not surprised, I expect it.

You are knowledgeable and polite and I agree with you on a lot of areas....I just disagree on this...but C'est La Vie.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
insider9 said:
By the way these are cables used in comparison I purposely didn't name them on graphs as the point of the experiment to see if differences are measurable, not really what the differences were. 

A - NYY-J / solid core copper 2.5mm2 /  £2.35 per meter (unterminated) link

B - Cambridge Audio Ulta 100 / stranded silver plated copper 2.5mm2 / £4.99 per meter (unterminated) link

C - TQ Silver / details unknown / £96 per meter (terminated) link

I've named them A, B, C above. Fancy guessing which one is CABLE 1, 2, 3 as annotated on the graphs?

Would you mind to type the length of each cable not the cost per meter?

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
insider9 said:

B - Cambridge Audio Ulta 100 / stranded silver plated copper 2.5mm2 / £4.99 per meter (unterminated) link

I've named them A, B, C above. Fancy guessing which one is CABLE 1, 2, 3 as annotated on the graphs?

Apologies, if I missed that. 2 meter lengths were used.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
insider9 said:

B - Cambridge Audio Ulta 100 / stranded silver plated copper 2.5mm2 / £4.99 per meter (unterminated) link

I've named them A, B, C above. Fancy guessing which one is CABLE 1, 2, 3 as annotated on the graphs?

Apologies, if I missed that. 2 meter lengths were used.
ok thanks

So now my point.

I think you need to conduct the test again many times on the SAME cable to see if you also get small differences, Similar to the difference between the different cables.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
insider9 said:

Apologies, if I missed that. 2 meter lengths were used.
ok thanks

So now my point.

I think you need to conduct the test again many times on the SAME cable to see if you also get small differences, Similar to the difference between the different cables.

[/quote

I did that Andrew. This was used as my baseline. 20 measurements of the a cable were compared. This was done for each cable. I even did averaging around midninght that day for each cable. These graphs were not posted here, as they only reaffirm above conclusions. It's measurable.

insider9

Andrewjvt said:
So now my point.

I did that Andrew. This was used as my baseline. 20 measurements of the a cable were compared. This was done for each cable. I even did averaging around midninght that day for each cable. Comparisons of each cable show differences which are about 3 times smaller than of different cables. Averaging graphs were not posted on this thread, as they only reaffirm above conclusions. It's measurable.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
Andrewjvt said:
insider9 said:
insider9 said:

Apologies, if I missed that. 2 meter lengths were used.
ok thanks

So now my point.

[/quote

I did that Andrew. This was used as my baseline. 20 measurements of the a cable were compared. This was done for each cable. I even did averaging around midninght that day for each cable. These graphs were not posted here, as they only reaffirm above conclusions. It's measurable.

Are there difference in the same cable readings, similar to the different?

Out of interest, what is the resistance reading of each of the cables

ChemMan

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
andyjm said:
How about trying mains cables next.......

Project already started *ok*

[/quote]

Insider and Andy, as you know I have been thinking about this as well. I don't know if you have seen these tests, but they are insteresting and even entertaining:

Mains: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/02/measurements-power-cable-redux.html

Speaker cable: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/06/measurements-speaker-cables-wires.html

RCA interconnect: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-analogue-rca-interconnects.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts