I can measurably show there is a differences between speaker cables

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

ChemMan said:
Insider and Andy, as you know I have been thinking about this as well. I don't know if you have seen these tests, but they are insteresting and even entertaining:

Mains: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2014/02/measurements-power-cable-redux.html

Speaker cable: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/06/measurements-speaker-cables-wires.html

RCA interconnect: http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/05/measurements-analogue-rca-interconnects.html

That's interesting as I posted the same finiding on a different forum. Discussion went towards cable/amps interraction in the last day, or two. Mainly due to the fact NVA amp designer has been contributing. Surprisingly the vast majority accepted my finidings. Many more users contributed than here.

As to Archimago speaker cable measurements. Where do I start...?

He's using 1/12 dB smoothing. As I've shown at 1/3 dB you would probably decide there is zero difference. At 1/12 smoothing you could say it's too little to be relevant. At no smoothing or 1/48 (my mesurements) it shows there's much more to it. It's like trying to spot small detail from a mile away.

Measurements were taken days apart approximately in the same conditions. He also claims no difference, where one is clearly visible and calls it "very minimal inter-test variation"

His comment about Impulse Response " Likewise, no timing irregularities were detected on the impulse response measurements." shows lack of undestanding what it is that you can read from Impulse Response graph. Not to mention he has huge room reflections. You'd think a blogger like that would want to treat his room acoustically.

I can't see mention of how many measurements he did either. Looks like one of each. So which is it? When I take 20 of each cable that's not enough, need to take many more. But Archimago takes one of each and that's proof? I posted graphic representation of difference (proper calculated graphs), where as he wants you to eye-ball it. With 5dB SPL axis and 1/12 smoothing, it's obvious the difference won't be visible. How do I know? I've done it myself multiple times.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
No measured difference doesn't necessarily mean no audible differences. You can't measure aliens, yet so many people have been probed by them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
No measured difference doesn't necessarily mean no audible differences. You can't measure aliens, yet so many people have been probed by them.

My Brother's an Alien....an "Extraordinary Alien", according to US Immigration...or at least he was. He's now a full US Citizen.

ChemMan

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
[/quote]

I can't see mention of how many measurements he did either. Looks like one of each. So which is it? When I take 20 of each cable that's not enough, need to take many more. But Archimago takes one of each and that's proof? I posted graphic representation of difference (proper calculated graphs), where as he wants you to eye-ball it. With 5dB SPL axis and 1/12 smoothing, it's obvious the difference won't be visible. How do I know? I've done it myself multiple times.

[/quote]

If I recall, he uses between four and six different treatments(cords/cables), but doesn't do multiple tests. Occasionally he goes back and retests stuff. Your point is well made, especially from the standpoint of scientific validity. When you are all finished with everything I hope you have time to post a summary of all the findings for all cables.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts