I can measurably show there is a differences between speaker cables

insider9

Need some help, please. I would like to show if there are measurable differences between speaker cables. Important to add that I really don't care what the difference are. Don't intend to have same lengths or same terminations. Just want to show if it can be measured. And if so how small/big differences are we talking.

I don't believe that if I can hear a difference it won't show up on a graph somewhere. My thinking at present is that these are so small that my ordinary way of looking at these isn't really effective. Or simply I'm measuring the wrong things.

How do I go about this? My idea so far is this. Would like your input. I have 3 speaker cables available for this. Two are single wire one is bi-wire, one set of jumpers made of one of the single wire cables. To make it fair I will only measure it as single wire to remove what the jumpers could be doing.

Measurements:

1) Calibrated mic will be placed in the same position and not moved during measurements. Mic position is irrelevant as long as it remains the same

2) Amp will be set to a the same volume. No changes will occur during measurements. Laptop will feed amp's DAC.

3) Speakers will be connected single wire to HF terminals (250Hz and up) each time from same amp terminals

4) Each sample size will be made out of X number of measurements per cable (to eliminate environmental noises)

Comparisons:

1) Comparison will be done electronically. Overlaying two measurements and taking the difference. Assuming there's no difference end result should be a straight line on frequency graph.

2) To account for environmental factors first measurements of same cables will be overlaid. This should give a base line for comparison and would show margin for error. The should ideally be as close to flat as they are taken under same conditions with no significant difference.

3) Next measurements of different cables will be overlaid. Resulting measurements should show a difference (if any) between the cables

4) Differences will be compared and presented. I will look at other graphs as presented with REW to see if any patterns emerge.

Questions

Can you see any significant flaws with the above? Can it be improved at all? I don't expect to spend a day doing it so propose a sample size of 20 sweeps per cable. Would you agree this is enough to have some reasonable conclusions?

Side note

This could easily go under Tech forum but could be quite interesting for everyone. It's not meant as a wind-up to either cable sceptics or cable believers. My opinion has always been there are differences between cables, however they're nowhere near as big as cable believers would have you think. Nor that they can't be present and are only bias as cable sceptic say. As such my main speaker cable for the last year has been a solid core copper 2.5 mm2 (bi-wire) which retails for around £3 per meter delivered. The most expensive cable used here will be £96 per meter, with the third mentioned priced at £5/m.

Weather permitting and assuming work won't get in a way I might be able to have the results presented today.

insider9

MrReaper182 said:
Are you just looking to sit back and enjoy a cable war? Go out for a walk as it's a lovely day and much better for your mental state

Feel free to comment about the idea, disagree or agree with it. I'd appreciate no remarks about mental state though.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
2) Amp will be set to a the same volume. No changes will occur during measurements. Laptop will feed amp's DAC.

unless you are including volume changes as part of the changes from cables, that's a flaw unfortunately. Ideally you need to level match at each change. Hypothetically speaking, you could have two cables, one with a greater resistance than the other one, so the upshot of which is that one sounds louder, and thus different to the other cable. However, when level matched, they may be identical.

If you are serious about setting this up, maybe hop on over to hydrogenaudio and ask there as they will be able to help set something like this up more than most on here I would bet. Good luck, I'll be interested to see what the outcome is.

insider9

How much volume change would you expect? Also if volume change affects all frequencies equally, do you think it would still matter?

Also if you have to level match that already shows a difference, which is what I'm trying to measure? No?

cheeseboy said:
unless you are including volume changes as part of the changes from cables, that's a flaw unfortunately. Ideally you need to level match at each change. Hypothetically speaking, you could have two cables, one with a greater resistance than the other one, so the upshot of which is that one sounds louder, and thus different to the other cable. However, when level matched, they may be identical.
Not really necessary. If the cables do turn out to be identical as far as frequency response is concerned, this can be shown by overlaying the measurements, whether one is louder than the other or not. But it may be useful to some to see which ones do sound louder.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You probably need a signal generator at one end and an ocilloscope at the other....and then you can see how close to the original signal a particular cable gets.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
You probably need a signal generator at one end and an ocilloscope at the other....and then you can see how close to the original signal a particular cable gets.

That's not going to measure what we/I hear. But in reality I wish I had an oscilloscope and I'd be doing that too. I'd still expect to see acoustically measured differences. If you can hear them, you should be able to measure them.

nick8858 said:
Thanks for the tip Insider9. I'll give them a try....

*biggrin*

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
How much volume change would you expect? Also if volume change affects all frequencies equally, do you think it would still matter?

I guess that would depend if the volume did affect all the fequencies equally. Hard to know.

insider9 said:
Also if you have to level match that already shows a difference, which is what I'm trying to measure? No?

yep, that's up to you - If you want to include volume changes as an effect of a cable or not. I only mentioned it in case you didn't. There's been quite a few cases of people thinking the differences in cables are massive, when actually it's just a volume change. For example "the bass is more punchy" - well yes, when the volume goes up, the bass will get more punchy etc..

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Of course there are measurable differences. The dilemma is if they are reliably audible.

How would you go about measuring this acoustically?

The gold standard is a double blind listening test. However, believers will deny its reliability, claiming the listener is stressed under testing conditions and needs longevity to evaluate properly.

So...

I don't know what testing will satisfy everyone. Acoustic, electric, magnetic, listening... Either camp will keep poking holes in the results.

Why bother though? Just enjoy the 'cable thread' experience of nasty jabs and salty jokes. Do with your hi-fi system whatever pleases you.

IMO the best reason to buy an expensive boutique wire is to pi$$ opinionated people off. It's not really about the music. No one needs silver cables to enjoy Beethoven. No one needs a $150 face cream to be pretty. Some of us weren't loved and hugged enough as children because the family cat or dog was the cute one, so now we need Tellurium cables to feel special. It's OK... just breathe..... ommmmmmmmmm.......

Vladimir said:
Of course there are measurable differences. The dilemma is if they are reliably audible.
Exactly! Hifi News magazine regularly test and measure speakers cables, interconnects and even USB cables. They all measure differently but there is next to no correlation with perceived sound.

What does interest me, having owned Transparent cables is that they are one of several brands that are deliberately interventionist. They use network boxes and in top end models claim to match specific amps and speakers. Having heard the results with mega items like Wilson speakers and d’Agostino amps, I’ve no reason to doubt their efficacy. However, at home I now prefer Van Damme and similar conventional, well engineered brands.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:

How would you go about measuring this acoustically?

The gold standard is a double blind listening test. However, believers will deny its reliability, claiming the listener is stressed under testing conditions and needs longevity to evaluate properly.

So...

I don't know what testing will satisfy everyone. Acoustic, electric, magnetic, listening... Either camp will keep poking holes in the results.

Why bother though? Just enjoy the 'cable thread' experience of nasty jabs and salty jokes. Do with your hi-fi system whatever pleases you.

IMO the best reason to buy an expensive boutique wire is to pi$$ opinionated people off. It's not really about the music. No one needs silver cables to enjoy Beethoven. No one needs a $150 face cream to be pretty. Some of us weren't loved and hugged enough as children because the family cat or dog was the cute one, so now we need Tellurium cables to feel special. It's OK... just breathe..... ommmmmmmmmm.......
+1 just buy a good set of speaker cables but not at silly money job done and enjoy your music its just a wast of life worring about something you can not prove *smile*

insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Why bother though?

1) I'm curious

2) I'm stuck working from home and I have time to do it. As long it produces any reasonable results whatever they may be. (Otherwise it's just messing around and I'm not interested in that.)
Hi insider, definitely do it. I wonder what variables will emerge between identical tests, as you’ll need these as a benchmark. So, if you get, say, one decibel difference in frequency on the same test, a cable switch would need to double ot triple this to be relevant. Do you see what I’m getting at?

i daresay temperature and humidity differences during the day, plus component drift might be a factor too. So go back to the original set up at the end to test for that too.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Vladimir said:
Why bother though?

1) I'm curious

2) I'm stuck working from home and I have time to do it. As long it produces any reasonable results whatever they may be. (Otherwise it's just messing around and I'm not interested in that.)

I think you got it right already. Measure FR at listening position for the objectivist. Post your percieved listening differences for the subjectivist. Those on the fence will appreciate reading both. Let people decide which information to draw greater value from.

Which one of these 3 are you?

insider9

Hi Nopiano, I'd be shocked if there was 1dB difference. That would be quite a lot.

Actuall frequency sweeps with cable changes should take no more than half hour. I don't expect significant changes to conditions in that time and at couple of meters measuring distance these would be neglible anyway. Good point about the components. One thing I didn't mention which will be taken into account is amplifier will be warmed up from first tests.

I've no idea what the results will be but whoever fancies analyisng them just needs to email me for REW file, when it's all done.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
just buy a good set of speaker cables but not at silly money job done and enjoy your music its just a wast of life worring about something you can not prove *smile*

If I had tons of money to play with I'd buy the silly money cables and post pics on every forum, including the receipt. Then hook them up to 15 times cheaper speakers and claim the sound is a revelation, as if god Zeus was singing Canto Della Terra in my square shaped, acoustically untreated, raised wood floor living room.

After the internet collapses and gets rebuilt by DARPA, I do the same type of review but with power cables and WHAM SACD.

XqUQpAX.jpg

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have always been on the fence about cables even though I did buy audio quest solid core cable which cost me around £250 for 6 meters but before I had atlas speaker cables which cost about £12 a meter I could tell a difference between audio quest and atlas speaker cable easily but can not prove it but haven’t changed speaker cables in 3 years since owning the audio quest cables .

All I can say is some how different speaker cables in different gages gives a different faze sift with speakers and amplifier what else could it be ?

If speaker company’s can prove what they claim I would spend more money on cables but can’t see this ever happening so I keep on the fence as it’s just to risky spending lots of money on expensive cable that may give a better sound or may not .

insider9

Vladimir said:
I think you got it right already. Measure FR at listening position for the objectivist. Post your percieved listening differences for the subjectivist. Those on the fence will appreciate reading both. Let people decide which information to draw greater value from.

Which one of these 3 are you?

I'm an objectivist when I listen, subjectivist when I measure and on the fence when buying. Does this answer your question? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts