Switch for front speakers to flip between 5.1 AVR and stereo amp

Hi,

I’m having some challenges with my Yamaha RX-V773 5.1 amp I recently picked up. It’s fine for 5.1, but two track stereo I’m finding that there is no bottom end and any recordings sourced from my turntable, cassette deck or CD player sound lifeless as compared for the NAD 325 I was using previously.

My thoughts on how to correct this are as follows:

1. Make use of the bi-amp connection so that low frequencies can be sent to the speakers through separate wires (the HF and LF terminals on the speakers are connected by jumpers at the moment, though still not getting any bottom end)
2. Even if the above improves performance, I’m skeptical that this will rival using the NAD for non surround sound audio - therefore what sort of speaker switch is recommended? Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14479707...CYEgxirTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Is there a switch that would accept bi-wire HF and LF from the Yamaha, and a single signal from the NAD… and output a single signal to the speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I’m having some challenges with my Yamaha RX-V773 5.1 amp I recently picked up. It’s fine for 5.1, but two track stereo I’m finding that there is no bottom end and any recordings sourced from my turntable, cassette deck or CD player sound lifeless as compared for the NAD 325 I was using previously.

My thoughts on how to correct this are as follows:

1. Make use of the bi-amp connection so that low frequencies can be sent to the speakers through separate wires (the HF and LF terminals on the speakers are connected by jumpers at the moment, though still not getting any bottom end)
2. Even if the above improves performance, I’m skeptical that this will rival using the NAD for non surround sound audio - therefore what sort of speaker switch is recommended? Something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14479707...CYEgxirTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Is there a switch that would accept bi-wire HF and LF from the Yamaha, and a single signal from the NAD… and output a single signal to the speakers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.
When you go for two track, have you tried 2.1 (i know it is not true two track, but adding the sub might make it sound better?)

Messiah

What speakers do you use?

Did you use them with the NAD also? (From what you say I suspect you did)

Did you use a sub before with the NAD?

Is the sub on when you play 2 channel music?

I just wonder whether it is a set-up issue? Perhaps some of the low frequencies are being sent to the sub still?

(Or not - with my Pioneer receivers in the past I would run the auto-calibration and it would set my front speakers (Monitor Audio Radius 90 - very small speakers) to Large and therefore when I played stereo music it would not engage the sub. Changing them to small fixed this issue).

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
ah good old AVR stupidity, some manufactures/models in all the wisdom dont allow Subwoofer passthrough in 2 channel mode, And when you have the AVR high passed , to lets say 80hz, you will get this lifeless sound as the amp doesnt auto switch to "full range".

The only real way round it is to run the speakers full range with the subwoofer, manufacture refer to as different things but normally somthing like full range +.

Reactions: martois
Thanks - I've pretty much exhaustedly gone throgh the menu options on the AVR. The bi-wire option is the only thing I haven't explored (after a thorough read of the manual, the only thing I hadn't considered)... so will do that when I'm back from holiday (either with separate HF and LF cables, or ensuring that bi-wire is not selected when using 2.0).

Anyway, anyone got any recommended switches like what I suggested in OP?

Thanks,

R.

Sixtyten

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Your Yamaha amp appears to have a pre-out option for the front speakers. So...
Plug your front speakers into the NAD. Attach your other devices to it (CD player etcetera) and use this to drive the stereo sources. If you want to run stuff in surround, then all you do is wire up the surround / centre speakers to your receiver, then attach it from the pre-out front labelled socket, to a free input on the NAD amp. If you want to listen to surround, select which ever source you've picked as the input for the receiver, set the volume to 50% on the NAD and Bob's your Monkhouse. Then you just need to adjust the volume on the receiver accordingly. This means the NAD drives your front speakers, and the receiver drives the surrounds and centre.
I do this with my Arcam A19 and my Marantz NR1710. So I get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS