i need to stop being so sceptical!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
took my speaker cable into my local hifi shop to have them shortened and re-terminated. got them to make me some jumpers out of the off cuts to replace the plates between hf and lf speaker connections. i only had them done because i like the look of jumper cables, i mean, you cant expect changing the plates for 6 inch of wire to do anything. well i'll be.... very definite small change in tonality, sound is slightly bassier now.
emotion-15.gif

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Great news Craig
Yes, the jumper bars are only cheap brass alloy links to get the job done.
You can't beat a good piece of copper wire in place of them.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I found an improvement when I did this on my MA RS1s some years ago. Anyway, we all know it can't make a difference...

A

Anonymous

David, all amps sound the same. Come on, even Peter Walker knew that...

...sprints away, cowering

A

Anonymous

Cleaning and tightening the connections might make a difference.

Moving your speakers slightly during the switch might make a difference.

Your expectations and eagerness to detect changes might make a difference.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
MattSPL:Great news Craig
Yes, the jumper bars are only cheap brass alloy links to get the job done.
You can't beat a good piece of copper wire in place of them.

I totally agree. Solid OFC is arguably the best cable to use and better still it's cheap as chips from e-bay.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:
Yup, cables make no difference, amps all sound the same, as do CD players - we'll just sell speakers then!
emotion-2.gif

I don't think there's any argument that cd players and amps make a difference and a huge difference obviously. I don't really see this being disputed at all, anywhere, on forums etc. The cable issue is being disputed all the time though and if you read internet forums, you'll know the most knowledgeable posters all agree that cables make no difference at all. I'm talking about the guys that really know their hi-fi stuff too and don't have a vested interest, and/or aren't easily fooled.

A

Anonymous

Doesnt hurt to be sceptical...if nothing changes then nothing lost but if things change for the better thats a bonus.

A

Anonymous

Ollie.:FrankHarveyHiFi:
Yup, cables make no difference, amps all sound the same, as do CD players - we'll just sell speakers then!
emotion-2.gif

I don't think there's any argument that cd players and amps make a difference and a huge difference obviously. I don't really see this being disputed at all, anywhere, on forums etc. The cable issue is being disputed all the time though and if you read internet forums, you'll know the most knowledgeable posters all agree that cables make no difference at all. I'm talking about the guys that really know their hi-fi stuff too and don't have a vested interest, and/or aren't easily fooled.

Ive changed a few cables recently, speaker cables and mains cables, and have noticed a difference in all of them, functioning wise.

Its the materials that are used that will make the difference, you could not say that a 16core copper speaker cable will sound the same as a 16 core silver cable, as they are two totally different types of cable, with different working functions.

Mains is the same, materials, size, sheilding and insulation all help.Its silver vs copper most of the time, with the special final finishing tweaks that make a good one or not

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Oh great, now your system sounds even better? That's just not fair...

Hmmm...I've got a bit too much speaker cable myself. Did you shorten the cable for appearance sake or as a SQ tweak?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
i can safely say that unless an amp is at least 10 meters long you will hear no difference.

joelsim is still trying to work out how his ears alone told him that alac files discard 60% of the original data. So he will be gone for some time.

idc

al7478:

i can safely say that unless an amp is at least 10 meters long you will hear no difference.

A 10m long amp would be difficult to shorten and re-teriminate. Maybe I should do a piece on how to shorten speaker cables, reterminate and make jumper leads.

A

Anonymous

shooter69:al7478:

Now thats an amp!!!

i want one!, to annoy the enemy.....

callofdutywomenseditionga4.jpg

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
If the difference in audio quality is tangible and the cost difference between a bit of brass and a bit of copper negliable, how come the speaker manufacturers still only supply the bare essential brass links then?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

emotion-2.gif

you are starting to sound like AJ
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

DIB:
If the difference in audio quality is tangible and the cost difference between a bit of brass and a bit of copper negliable, how come the speaker manufacturers still only supply the bare essential brass links then?

It's a conspiracy to make us buy more.

I encase my speaker cable in hose pipe to stop it getting squashed and damaging the flow of music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts