How important is a good recorded music to you?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Yes, but that's how it is and how we enjoy it. Imagine how sterile and unexciting it would sound without that distortion. The chillies aren't about sonic perfection.

You could apply that same argument to listening on halfway decent equipment rather than a ghettoblaster. I'm sure you can get software to degrade the sound to your satisfaction - adding as much atmosphere as you wish!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Yes, but that's how it is and how we enjoy it. Imagine how sterile and unexciting it would sound without that distortion. The chillies aren't about sonic perfection.

Have a listen to 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. That's quite well mastered but it doesn't sound sterile and unexciting.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:

With respect, that's rubbish: much though the music in question isn't really my thing, I'd only accept the 'everything turned up to the 0dB limit' approach if that's how the band wanted it to sound. I reject it completely if it's simply some record company wonk clumsily trying to make it sound more 'exciting' when played through a radio station's compressors or rubbish portable earbuds.

That's about as sensible as those idiots who decided some years back that old black and white classic movies would be more acceptable if they were 'colorized'.

Music shouldn't need added distortion to sound 'exciting'; if it does, it probably wasn't worth listening to in the first place.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
I've just had a very quick listen to the pre-mastered version and the difference is astonishing - talk about night and day difference! How anyone could prefer the retail release I just don't know!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
spiny norman said:
...Music shouldn't need added distortion to sound 'exciting'; if it does, it probably wasn't worth listening to in the first place.

I agree.

Also reducing the dynamic range and causing clipping makes the music sound muffled and lifeless rather than making it more exciting. Californication may sound louder than other songs when played on the radio or TV but I have a perfectly good functioning volume control on my hifi if I want to turn it up. I don't need the record label to do it for me and damage the sound quality in the process. :mad:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Have a listen to 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. That's quite well mastered but it doesn't sound sterile and unexciting.

One of my favourite albums, and usually one I use for auditioning stuff.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
margetti said:
I've just had a very quick listen to the pre-mastered version and the difference is astonishing - talk about night and day difference! How anyone could prefer the retail release I just don't know!

The RHCP would make a bucket of money if they released original studio master version of Californication on CD.

It also has these 3 extra tracks on it:

Going Li

How Strong

Fat Dance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts