How can I maximise my audio experience?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

For any of the below to make sense I need to list the two systems.

AT HOME: B&W 685s, Marantz PM/CD6003 combo, SOUNDSTYLE Z2, QED Silver Anniversary XT, STANDARD INTERCONNECT, speakers 35cm from wall, blu-tack on stands, 5.5ft apart, toed in to listening position which is about 7ft from speakers.

SYSTEM AUDITIONED INSTORE: B&W 685s, Marantz PM/CD6003 combo, PARTINGTON SUPER DREADNOUGHTS, Speakers 45cm from wall, speakers 8ft apart, toed in, 7ft from speakers, HIGH QUALITY INTERCONNECT (QED QUNEX 3), unknown speaker cable.

I have written in capitals the items which I think might be making the greatest difference.

My problem is that although my home system sounds good, it doesnt quite have the same sound as the one in the store, which i really liked, the voices don't sound as clear and is "in the room" sounding. Could this be just down to the different stands and the interconnect?

I auditioned the system in the shop with some CDs such as James
Morrison, Addicted to Bass and The Dark Knight Soundtrack, in order to
try and test the system's abilities with different genres. It all
sounded really good with a new level of detail being uncovered that I
didn't know existed and the voices sounding very pronounced and
clear(particularly James Morrison).

I would like to buy a good quality interconnect which will give the voices greater clarity, as when there are many layers of sound, the voices can sometimes get lost and not stand out as much as I want, can anyone recommend an interconnect under £50 that fits the bill?

Sorry for the long post, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this is my first hifi system and still have lots to learn, especially about system matching.

Thanks for reading.

Hi jammers

What is the acoustics like in your room? I'm a mammoth beliver in this area, as I know from personal experience it can make a huge difference even with the same system.

If you're room is hard acoustically eg laminated flooring, painted walls, little furniture (especially flat-packs), no dining table or bookcases. This could [and usually does] destroy any potential of your system.

A

Anonymous

as pp says plus also correct speaker positioning is paramount

the guys in the demo room probably some time adjusting and refining to get the best sound

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, I would recommend either the Chord Crimson or the Atlas equator 2.

If you get a chance try and replace / audition Chord Carnival Superscreen speaker cable as well :). Enjoy

A

Anonymous

jammers999:

I would like to buy a good quality interconnect which will give the voices greater clarity, as when there are many layers of sound, the voices can sometimes get lost and not stand out as much as I want, can anyone recommend an interconnect under £50 that fits the bill?

Silver High Breed interconnect for approx £30 may be worth having a closer look at ... however, cables and interconnects do not make a massive difference IMHO

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick replys,

to plastic penguin: the room does have painted walls, quite a firm carpet, chest of drawers, single bed, desk, two mock wood shelving units on the floor.

I am tempted to try the setup in the lounge which is about twice the size (5mx10m vs 5mx5m) but has a sofa, two large arm chairs, rugs, lots of curtains, softer carpet, and see if I can notice a difference.

to one off: I cant really afford to place the speakers any wider in the current position, i have tried them up to 8ft apart in other positions in the room and it did sound slightly better. I have experimented with toeing in at different angles, but struggled to notice the difference.

To True Blue: I would rather not change the speaker cable, but will look into your suggestions for interconnects.

Does anyone have any experience with QED QUNEX 3? If so does it favour any particular frequencies?my local hifi dealers are doing it for £25 at the moment which seems like a good deal.

to dim_span: I will also consider your suggestion, if it doesnt make a noticeable difference, which i hope it does, i can alwas return it or sell it on.

Anymore views?

Thanks

T

the record spot

Audioquest Copperhead (circa £65, or see also their older Ruby interconnect which you can pick up off Ebay easily enough) will tame some of the shiny shiny elements in the hardware you've got. Worked nicely for my kit, so perhaps worth an audition? The Ruby was well regarded a decade or so back too, so don't write it off on age reasons alone.

A

Anonymous

Don't know if you have/can? Could you fill your stands? Were the partingtons in the shop filled?

Also, you were nearer to the speakers than the speakers were apart in the shop. Could this make a difference?

Just a thought.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
It is possible that the equipment in the shop was being run off dedicated clean mains supply's which you dont mention having in your home setup.

Also, ive recently replaced all internal and external fuses in my components with Hi-fi tuning silver fuses. This brought about a massive improvement in sound, greater than any cable upgrade ive ever made. So it is possible the components in the shop had audio grade fuses installed.

A

Anonymous

To leenorris78: I dont think the stands at the shop were filled, I do plan to fill mine eventually with some atabites. I think he had made an equilateral triangle in the shop between speakers and listening position, which is what i have at home.

Thanks for the input.

To MattSPL: Im unsure about your first point, at home i just run it out of a wall socket with an adapter attached.

Your second point sounds a little too technical for me to attempt :p.

Though I have just replaced the standard interconnects with some Chord Crimson which has definitely given me a better and more enjoyable sound than before.

Thanks

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Mains noise, some of which is in the supply before it reaches your house and some of which is added by other electronic equipment in the house, degrades sound quality.

A clean/seperate cable run from the fuse board in your house, to a socket which is just for your hifi, will give cleaner mains and better sound.

Also if the 'adaptor' you mention is a 4way extension lead type, that will also have an adverse effect on the sound quality.

As for the fuses, its probably best to upgrade your mains cable's first but basically, you replace the fuses in the 13plug's on all you hifi components with audio grade ones from hifi tuning or isoclean. Then, at the Ac power cord inlet on each component there will also be a fuse. This may be accessable from the outside but sometimes you will need to remove the cover.

There may also be more fuses inside the amplifier or beside the speaker binding posts on the back of the amp. My amp has 4x internal fuses, 2 for the speaker outputs and 1 at the ac power cord inlet.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
MattSPL:but sometimes you will need to remove the cover.

err,don`t think this is a good idea unless you really know what you`re doing,there`s also the chance you may void the warranty by breaking any security seals.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i replaced all my mains fuses in the plugs and to be honest didn't really make any difference to me - biggest diff was when i introduced a merlin mains block - in my opinion bigger difference than changing all the cables on every unit which i have also done for merlin cables

fill your stands and spend quite a bit of time with positioning as you would be surprised how much better they sound when you find the seet spot

for future ref check out merlin cables can by direct from manufacturer online and includes money back guarante

always worth investing in high quality speakers cable can make a subtle but worth while difference

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
How long have you had your system? The one in the shop was probably well run in, if your components are relatively new they may just require a bit more time to reach optimum performance. If this is the case then I suggest waiting a while longer before making any changes.

Just a thought.

A

Anonymous

If the OP bought the same system as he auditioned in the store and it sounds a lot worse at his home playing the same tracks, then the problem will be that his listening room at home needs improving (speaker placement etc)

I dont think that cables and power conditioners etc will change much IMHO

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
speaker placement def important

my experiece of most dealers listening rooms has been empty room big sofa and good speaker positioning - maybe some curtains for damping effects but never really home like - reflective surface free - no furniture, coffee tables, tvs etc

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes removing the covers of equipment may not be a good idea if still under warrenty but otherwise is no problem providing the unit is dissconnected from the mains and you are careful

Sliced Bread

Are your speakers pointed across the length of the room or across the width? This can make a huge acoustic difference in some rooms. Firing them across the length having a better sound!

This made a big difference with my speakers (although I'm stuck with them across the width or the TV catches the windows reflection and there are no spaces for the rear speakers).

PS: Also agree a great deal with the other comments regarding general room acoustics, running in and mains supplies.

A

Anonymous

I have the speakers and separates setup on the shortest wall firing down the room, the room is almost square, about 2 feet difference.

i think i may have cracked the positioning aspect. they are about 55cm from the rear wall, toed in to listening position so speaker faces are pointed directly at listening position. They are about 7 feet apart with the listening position about 8-9 feet away.

Im not sure whether it was the positioning or the new cables(chord crimson) that made the difference as i introduced both at the same time, all i can say is that sound is greatly improved with the voices having the necessary clarity and punch that had been lacking, while the bass is tighter and more defined than before.

I can definitely see why the 685s have received such positive reviews, they are incredible...for the money, as the guy in the store said, id need to pay a lot more to get a better sounding standmounter (for my tastes ofcourse).

Thanks

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Great news you've solved your problem
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts