High-end speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Any views on the following three: B&W CM9, Proac Response D18 and Spendor A6? I have Carver/Gale mix at mo so I'm sensing the B&W will be more Gale-like but detailed and musical while the other two may be a bit bass-light and polite. But I could be talking a load of ba**s. Any views, please?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't say the D18's are bass light!! The ProAcs are very amp friendly, and are one of our most popular choices in comparative demos. I put it down to their sweet, detailed sound, and generous bass response. The spenders are a little more understated. They don't tend to immediately impress, but on extended listening, they do just that. The B&W's are a lively performer, and tonally they're the complete opposite to the Spendors. A demo will help you sort out which you'd prefer.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I use ProAc D18s on the end of Naim prepower amps. I'd say their main appeal is a very smooth, sweet and even tonal balance - no harshness or emphasis on a particular frequency range. I wouldn't say they are bass light!

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I found the Spendor A6 very detailed but light on bass and too "polite" - would be great for chamber music but not for blues...

I have had B&Ws - fun speakers but probably bass "heavy" in this price bracket - I wonder if would be better in an AV setup?

No experience with Proacs...

I am hopelessly biased but... would you consider having a listen to the Audiovector S3 series.... I am sitting back at the moment with a smile on my face soaking up the music.... the Audiovector S3 Super is in the same price range as the Spendor A5s (in Australia at least) I think... (the Signature is stretching it and the Avantgarde *drools* is not).

Good luck!

stpierre76

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
eternaloptimist:

I found the Spendor A6 very detailed but light on bass and too "polite" - would be great for chamber music but not for blues...

I have had B&Ws - fun speakers but probably bass "heavy" in this price bracket - I wonder if would be better in an AV setup?

No experience with Proacs...

I am hopelessly biased but... would you consider having a listen to the Audiovector S3 series.... I am sitting back at the moment with a smile on my face soaking up the music.... the Audiovector S3 Super is in the same price range as the Spendor A5s (in Australia at least) I think... (the Signature is stretching it and the Avantgarde *drools* is not).

Good luck!

mate where did you buy your audiovector.m keen to audition some as in market for some speakers..

A

Anonymous

not so sure about 'high end' but all things are relative!

Anyhow, I heard all three with Primare I30 and the latter two with Marantz KI Pearls. Spendor A6 had the clearest mid range but seemed to have difficulty with lower ends of the frequency range (perhaps not braced enough for quite a big cabinet). I preferred the A5 which I thought were better overall and less fussy about positoining. The CM9 were very nice, more 'modern' sounding perhaps, more consistent across the range and with nicely controlled, (but not overwhleming) bass, with that amplification. My preferred option of the 3 would the Proacs, nice clean midrange and well capable with the freqeuncey extremes. If you care keen on bass control (amplification is key of course) you should have a listen to the upper range Dyanudios.

A

Anonymous

This will ultimately come down to personal choice. My preference is the Spendor A6 as they are what I like. The B&W's grated on my with way too much bass. Surely an audition is possible?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts