Proac Response range vs Larger speakers

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
I've recently upgraded B&W DM603 to Proac Studio 140 and I have questions related to my listening room size (25 sq.meters, 6x4 m).
  • Will upgrading say to Proac Response D28 or ProAc D30R radically change my experience in terms of scale, imaging?
  • Should I consider speakers with larger diameter of speakers, i.e. Focals or Cantons with 200+ mm of midrange/bass vs Proac's 165mm.
Proac 140's are fine and for me they are a big upgrade in the midrange to my old B&W. They are also much better at resonances in my room with cleaner sound. It's just that I 'feel' they are a bit small for the room...

Seems that B&W were better in bass given their drivers 180mm. Is that close to the truth? I know that Proac Response D28 or ProAc D30R have 1x165mm driver and are considered superior. That brings even more confusion...

Apologies for naive questions, I'm lost.

Would be thankful for any suggestions 👍

Not naive questions. Can you get to actually audition any of these ?
personally I feel if you go bigger and change manufacturers you could Get into a slippery slope.
to much in the way of bass energy in a room that size can cause more issues than it solves.

I’ve heard the D30R in a room a bit smaller than yours, alongside ATC SCM40. I own a pair of the ATCs too. For me the D30R was a bit overblown in the bass, and I wouldn’t have wanted them in my room for that reason - and they are over five grand now. I also think they’re visually a bit dull, as I’m used to rounded cabinets.

The D20R might be a good middle ground. Or the ATCs I mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

CheshirePete

Oct 12, 2020
Visit site
Listening in your own home is a must, otherwise it could be an expensive gamble. I never see much value in auditioning at a retailer when the room has such a significant impact on the sound.

Good luck

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
Not naive questions. Can you get to actually audition any of these ?
personally I feel if you go bigger and change manufacturers you could Get into a slippery slope.
to much in the way of bass energy in a room that size can cause more issues than it solves.
I can arrange auditions, guess for now I will continue exploring ProAc line as I recall some posts about Response being the sweet spot where the magic of the brand starts to really appear, we'll see ;)

P.Pacific

Nov 15, 2021
Visit site
I’ve heard the D30R in a room a bit smaller than yours, alongside ATC SCM40. I own a pair of the ATCs too. For me the D30R was a bit overblown in the bass, and I wouldn’t have wanted them in my room for that reason - and they are over five grand now. I also think they’re visually a bit dull, as I’m used to rounded cabinets.

The D20R might be a good middle ground. Or the ATCs I mentioned.
Thank you Nopiano. Actually, ATC was one of the brand suggested along with ProAc. I was always curious about them especially since visually I like ATC more. Hope I can audition soon.

Reactions: nopiano

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts