Proac Response D1/D2 Demo

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

Thanks to an upcoming windfall I am looking to upgrade my speakers of 15 years. Very excited at the prospect as my source and amplication have moved on over that 15 years and I know I can't be getting the best out of them with the speakers I have, as much as I still enjoy them.

The Ruarks cost me about £350 at the time, and served me very very well. In fact, if I listened mainly to acoustic tracks, where not too much is going on to test the speaker, I would probably not be looking to upgrade. The Ruarks are very strong inthe mid-range, but when things get complicated, and/or the volume is pumped up a bit, they get a bit "muffled" and the music just becomes a mish-mash of noise to some extent.

So, having done the usual internet trawling etc, I am now ready to go shopping :grin: and enjoy a demo or two. My research so far is pointing me very much towards Proac Response D1's, so much so that I'm struggling to find something I'm equally excited about to demo it against.

What has come up on the radar is Neat, Totem, PMC, and Harbeth - the latter rejected as I need a matching centre for AV duties (a definitive pre-requisite that has also lead me to dismiss Kudos as well).

I'm looking for clarity and openness without being clinical. Thesystem will mainly be listened to at "normal" listening levels, apart from the occassional Saturday night "crank-it up" session :)

Bass extension isn't necessarily high on my list of priorities as the Ruarks are fairly bass-shy (so I'm not used to heavy bass) and I have the REL sub to help out if need be.

The only other point of mention that I can think of is I need something that is unfussy on positioning - the maximum I could have the speakers from the rear wall is 1.5 foot (1 foot would be better). This is the one thing I am worried about with the Proac's as the recommended minimum is indeed 1 foot. Room btw is about 10' x 22' but with an open-plan split down the middle between lounge and dining room, if that makes sense. Speakers fire across the 10' width - speakers are thus about 7' from the listening position.

Oh, yeah - standmounts my only option as we have a couple of cats and I just know if I spend £1-1.5k on a pair of floor-standers they'll be using them as scratching posts within 48 hours |(

So, the question is - what to demo against the Proac's!? Or, indeed - if I like the Proac's why not just leave it at that and be done with it?

Cheers :cheers:

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The Proac are great speakers and they are a safe a bet but the other speakers you mention ( Neat, Totem, PMC, and Harbeth ) are excellent too . If you have the option to audition them all do it !

Hi margetti

I would say that Focal JM Lab Aria 906 and ATC's curved SCM11 monitors are also worth an audition
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. The ATC's were on my list at one point, but read a few comments that suggested they need a bit of volume before they really start to sing - would you agree with that Rick?

Not familiar with the other suggestions, will have a look into them thanks :)

I am hoping to keep the auditioing list as short as possible so I don't have to visit too many different dealers - I am (rightly or wrongly) not convinced that listening to different speakers in different demo rooms is going to give me an entirely useful comparison... such is the nature of the game I suppose!

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Happy hunting margetti, I had to google your turntable as I'd never heard of it and I must say it's a very sweet looking deck. How do you have it setup?

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
namefail said:
Happy hunting margetti, I had to google your turntable as I'd never heard of it and I must say it's a very sweet looking deck. How do you have it setup?

Cheers! Bought it second-hand about 3 years or so ago, it came with an acrylic platter. Rega RB300 arm with Ortofon Blue cart. The only other turntable I've owned is a Project Debut, so I don't have much to directly compare it to, but it sounds pretty good to me :)

Of all my sources it is the one I am looking most forward to hearing through the new speakers (whatever they may prove to be!) :grin:

margetti said:
Thanks for the replies guys. The ATC's were on my list at one point, but read a few comments that suggested they need a bit of volume before they really start to sing - would you agree with that Rick?

Not familiar with the other suggestions, will have a look into them thanks :)

Hi margetti

Your welcome.

Possibly. Anyway the TX-SR876 has got good quality and (unless you're after constant disco like listening levels) enough reserves of power for ATC's curved SCM11 monitors.

Fwiw, i've got clients who have bought SCM11 (MK1) and SCM19 (MK1) passive monitors for use with the TX-SR876
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

margetti said:
Hi all

Thanks to an upcoming windfall I am looking to upgrade my speakers of 15 years. Very excited at the prospect as my source and amplication have moved on over that 15 years and I know I can't be getting the best out of them with the speakers I have, as much as I still enjoy them.

The Ruarks cost me about £350 at the time, and served me very very well. In fact, if I listened mainly to acoustic tracks, where not too much is going on to test the speaker, I would probably not be looking to upgrade. The Ruarks are very strong inthe mid-range, but when things get complicated, and/or the volume is pumped up a bit, they get a bit "muffled" and the music just becomes a mish-mash of noise to some extent.

So, having done the usual internet trawling etc, I am now ready to go shopping :grin: and enjoy a demo or two. My research so far is pointing me very much towards Proac Response D1's, so much so that I'm struggling to find something I'm equally excited about to demo it against.

What has come up on the radar is Neat, Totem, PMC, and Harbeth - the latter rejected as I need a matching centre for AV duties (a definitive pre-requisite that has also lead me to dismiss Kudos as well).

I'm looking for clarity and openness without being clinical. Thesystem will mainly be listened to at "normal" listening levels, apart from the occassional Saturday night "crank-it up" session :)

Bass extension isn't necessarily high on my list of priorities as the Ruarks are fairly bass-shy (so I'm not used to heavy bass) and I have the REL sub to help out if need be.

The only other point of mention that I can think of is I need something that is unfussy on positioning - the maximum I could have the speakers from the rear wall is 1.5 foot (1 foot would be better). This is the one thing I am worried about with the Proac's as the recommended minimum is indeed 1 foot. Room btw is about 10' x 22' but with an open-plan split down the middle between lounge and dining room, if that makes sense. Speakers fire across the 10' width - speakers are thus about 7' from the listening position.

Oh, yeah - standmounts my only option as we have a couple of cats and I just know if I spend £1-1.5k on a pair of floor-standers they'll be using them as scratching posts within 48 hours |(

So, the question is - what to demo against the Proac's!? Or, indeed - if I like the Proac's why not just leave it at that and be done with it?

Cheers :cheers:

As you live close to Unilet, let them guide you. Yeah, PMC 21 or B&W 805S maybe a good comparison with ProAcs.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
As you live close to Unilet, let them guide you. Yeah, PMC 21 or B&W 805S maybe a good comparison with ProAcs.

Cheers PP - Unilet were always on my radar, but as the money to fund this purchase isn't yet through I was going to wait a bit...

But after seeing your post I thought s*d it, why wait!?

And what a fantastic couple of hours it turned out to be. I went with the expectation of having a bit of a chat and arranging a demo for a future date. But Joe quickly sorted out an impromptu demo of the D1 and D Two, and before I know it 6pm had come and gone and that was all there was time for.

The D1 is certainly an impressive speaker for its diminutive size, but at the end of the day you can't defy the laws of physics and for me they just didn't have the scale and presence I'd be happy to spend £1500 on.

But the D Two - oh wow! Absolutely love them! Just so easy to listen to, and the larger size gives them the presence that the D1's lacked. What was particularly pleasing was that whilst I was there to evaluate the relative merits of the speaker (bass, treble, soundstaging, clarity, all of that blah blah) I just ended up listening to the music. Can't think of abetter accolade than that!

The only possible fly in the ointment was what was going to be the better matching centre - the Studio at £700 or the Response at £1300 - a question we didn't get to answer during my time there. The combo of D Two's and Response centre is simply out of my budget - just not going to happen. But after a bit of googling this morning, it looks like the Studio is a fine match - have seen a few people matching it with the D28's (which retail at over £3000) so it shouldn't be a problem.

So, just gotta wait for the cash to arrive, then I'm back to Unilet with the Sonneteer and Ruarks in tow for a direct comparison. I think I'll throw a pair of PMC's into the mix as well for the demo, but they'll have to be pretty good to change my mind about the Proac's.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
plastic penguin said:

Cheers PP - Unilet were always on my radar, but as the money to fund this purchase isn't yet through I was going to wait a bit...

And what a fantastic couple of hours it turned out to be. I went with the expectation of having a bit of a chat and arranging a demo for a future date. But Joe quickly sorted out an impromptu demo of the D1 and D Two, and before I know it 6pm had come and gone and that was all there was time for.

The D1 is certainly an impressive speaker for its diminutive size, but at the end of the day you can't defy the laws of physics and for me they just didn't have the scale and presence I'd be happy to spend £1500 on.

But the D Two - oh wow! Absolutely love them! Just so easy to listen to, and the larger size gives them the presence that the D1's lacked. What was particularly pleasing was that whilst I was there to evaluate the relative merits of the speaker (bass, treble, soundstaging, clarity, all of that blah blah) I just ended up listening to the music. Can't think of abetter accolade than that!

The only possible fly in the ointment was what was going to be the better matching centre - the Studio at £700 or the Response at £1300 - a question we didn't get to answer during my time there. The combo of D Two's and Response centre is simply out of my budget - just not going to happen. But after a bit of googling this morning, it looks like the Studio is a fine match - have seen a few people matching it with the D28's (which retail at over £3000) so it shouldn't be a problem.

So, just gotta wait for the cash to arrive, then I'm back to Unilet with the Sonneteer and Ruarks in tow for a direct comparison. I think I'll throw a pair of PMC's into the mix as well for the demo, but they'll have to be pretty good to change my mind about the Proac's.
Do the D2'S meet your room requirements, with their front firing ports ?

margetti said:
plastic penguin said:

Good stuff - be interested to hear how the PMCs stack up.

Good luck.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I too recently auditioned to the D2 and found it to be a very musical and enjoyable speaker.

Haven't listened to the D1, although I did own the previous version, the Response 1 SC for 15 years. Also a wonderful speaker.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

I would say that Focal JM Lab Aria 906 and ATC's curved SCM11 monitors are also worth an audition
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Unfortunately struggling to find any ATC dealers near me (Surrey/SW London) - being without a car doesn't help.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
Hi margetti

Please keep us uopdate :grin:

Will do! Just waiting for the cash to fund the purchase to arrive - may be a matter of days, may be a couple of weeks - SO SO SO frustrating! :wall:

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
At the Bristol show in February, one of the 3 or 4 best systems I heard was a simple setup of Naim CD + amp with the Proac Response D2s. Could have listened to that for hours, so in your position I'd buy em.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Unfortunately struggling to find any ATC dealers near me (Surrey/SW London) - being without a car doesn't help.

ATC are excellent speaker but do need a powerful amplifictaion to really shine . Check them carefully because of it I think the Proac is a better option than the ATC .

margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Guildford Audio used to supply them. Having checked on their website they don't seem to anymore.

ISAC69 said:
margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ATC are excellent speaker but do need a powerful amplifictaion to really shine .

Everytime I say that I usually get a EDITEDing.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
ISAC69 said:
margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

ATC are excellent speaker but do need a powerful amplifictaion to really shine .

But they do !.........:p

alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
ISAC69 said:
margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi alchemist 1

Some more then others
smiley-wink.gif

Anyway welcome
smiley-smile.gif
I was waiting for you to join in :grin:

Btw, have you heard the new curved SCM11 monitors yet? Or are you still waiting for a pair to break/run in? :rofl:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
alchemist 1 said:
plastic penguin said:
ISAC69 said:
margetti said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi margetti

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi alchemist 1

Some more then others
smiley-wink.gif

Anyway welcome
smiley-smile.gif
I was waiting for you to join in :grin:

Btw, have you heard the new curved SCM11 monitors yet? Or are you still waiting for a pair to break/run in? :rofl:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Hello Rick , no not yet. :)

Waiting on the test results...............:rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts