help make my hifi sound warmer ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I found that TCI Python speaker cable took the edge off my system (so I ditched it - wasn't the effect I was after). A similarly dull cable might be just what you need to balance things out, though, and would be cheaper than new speakers, so it's worth a try.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thanks for the help guys , i might look into trying the chord odessey when i get my creek amp sorted , and also study the Chord Chameleon Interconnect

edit* second thoughts i might give the interconnect a miss , a bit pricey , i think my markgrant interconnects are good enough

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
BeachBOYken,

Honestly I thought there would be very little difference between a £40 interconnect and a £125 pound one, but boy how wrong was I. By the way can pick em up for about £90 now.

A

Anonymous

I'm tempted to say that it would be a proportionally more economical upgrade going for just the single wire. If you had the funds for twice as much Odyssey then I'd go for a single run of Epic! Save the cash and scour ebay for a used Chameleon instead....
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Try some solid core copper cable (I use Audioquest Type IV biwire), also have a think about a new interconnect - I've gone for Audioquest Copperhead here. Worth having a listen to some if you get the chance. The Type IV is long out of date I think, so check and see what the current product is. Mine is solid core, single strand copper and works a treat.

A

Anonymous

Yes, the Epic is silver coated, as is the Odyssey. Look at both I/C and speaker cable as a balance rather than all on the speaker cable though.

A

Anonymous

They should do! I've never tried the Epic but have heard some accounts of it being too open for any system with a hint of brightness or hardness in the upper frequencies.

For you, I would recommend some Kimber 4TC or 8TC with a Chord Chameleon I/C. The Kimber is a very good copper cable and will keep the tonal balance away from brightness. The Odyssey and in particular, the Epic may exasperate the brightness you flag up in your OP.

A

Anonymous

Also, Russ Andrews does a 60 day home trial on all products including the Kimber cable. At least you can buy with the confidence that if it doesn't work for you, you can send it back. This might be reason enough to get one of their interconnects too. There's not much point to all of this if it doesn't deliver what you seem to want.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
that kimber cable is nice but i would not be able to afford it ,thats a lot of money , i dont mind spending up to about £90 on some cable if im getting it single pairs , but then theres the jumper cables if i dont bi-wire or should i just stick my gold plated supplied ones back on?

A

Anonymous

The Kimber 4TC is a lot cheaper than the Chord Epic that you said you might buy so I'm slightly lost. However, just go for one of the cheaper copper cable from Kimber and give it a try. Don't worry about the jumper cables too much, the gold bars will be fine.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
http://www.hificables.co.uk/11396/Chord-Epic-Twin-Speaker-Cable.html

i would need a 1metre terminated pair

russ andrews only do a 2.5m terminated pair, and it seems more expensive?

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=3167&customer_id=PAA2010048409182IJDLGMUUKHKDIFDW

if i get my cable online i like it to be terminated

A

Anonymous

Arh, I see. Well, you could try this Kimber cable:

Kimber

...or this one...

Chord Silverscreen

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
that kimber is still a little pricey with the banana plugs fitted and only in 2.5m lengths and higher , as for the chord is that not like what i have now (chord carnival plus)

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
after looking at the chord epic its a nice cable but i think my system want do it justice , i might try some single pairs of odessey as its a bit cheaper this means i will need to stick my gold plated links back on , hopefully it will sound ok ??

i will also invest in the chord chameleon I/C

going from chord canival silver bi-wire to chord odessey single pairs do you think im taking a step backwards in performance?

cheers

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Rather than chuck a lot of money at I/c'a and speaker cable, have a
look round the net for some Van Damme 2.5mm Sq blue coloured studio
grade speaker cable, and some I/C's using Van Damme cable, plain old
copper type. I think that they will do as good a job as any 'branded'
and so charged cables. If that does not balance the sound of your
system to how you want it, then at least it will not have cost you a
fortune to find out. I would also suggest that if that does not do it, think about the MA's as thay could be the route cause.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
im going to leave the interconnect because i think my markgrant I/C is very good anyway , ive got some of the odessey 2 cable so will try that out.

theres one thing i might also get , the tacima cs929 , hopefully that will also improve things , ive read that its best not to plug amp into the tacima but just the cd player and other av equipment ,whys this??

cheers

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
also seen as ive recently got a clearer audio alpha line mains lead for my cd player ,getting the tacima as well would that not take away the performance from either the tacima or mains lead?

A

Anonymous

No, it'll be a step forward if my experience is anything to go by. Leave the amp plugged into the wall because it will make high current demands and the Tacima may be a limiting factor. I hasten to add, I'm not an expert.

Not sure about the Odyssey to help your problem. It's silver coated copper and will ultimately let more signal through than the Carnival. It was exactly the upgrade I made when I had RS1s (from biwire to single too) and the bass and treble were definitely improved. It still didn't resolve the brightness for me and I ended up buying the Spendor SA1s instead.

Good luck with it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
beachBOYken:
also seen as ive recently got a clearer audio alpha line mains lead for my cd player ,getting the tacima as well would that not take away the performance from either the tacima or mains lead?

Have you actually got your creek amplifier yet ...?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
i have but im exchanging it because it was faulty

also i still have my other amp im using for the time being , still upgrading cables should be an improvement

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts