help make my hifi sound warmer ?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
hi

my system consists of the following but i find it a little bright/harsh at times , is there anywhere that i could improve perhaps the speaker cable?

arcam cd73

nad c320bee ( upgrading to a creek evo )

monitor audio rs1's

mark grants interconnects

chord carnival bi-wire speaker cable i think ( its either rumour or carnival 90% sure its carnival )

cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps try a Tacima mains block. It has the effect of taking a certain amount of brightness out and cleans bass up. Useful for other components too as surge protection so not a waste of cash in any case. Around £20 if you shop around.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Try?
emotion-2.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
My system was bright, too.

First thing I did was take the toe-in off the speakers. I have the speakers facing straight forward. It helps, but didn't completely solve the problem.

Second thing was change speaker cable. I recently changed to Van damme cable and, after a few weeks burn in, it has removed the brightness. I wrote a full write up of the cable in my post 'Just bought new speaker cable'. It's a cheap upgrade, too (under 5 quid a meter).

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:

drummerman:Try?
emotion-2.gif

... but pretty pointless just before changing amplifiers.

yes i agree , i might look into some good copper speaker cable , ive heard thats warmer sounding compared to the silver coated stuff? , does anyone know of some good speaker cable (copper)

A

Anonymous

beachBOYken ive got the rs1's & arcam cd73 but with qed silver plated cable biwired and i also found my system bright so much so it was painful to listen to, i wasn't sure what to do to calm things down, after speaking to my local hifi dealer he suggested changes the speaker cable to chord odyssey 2 which i did wow what a difference it made

there are few things i learned from this

biwire is a waste of time just use good qulity single cable

silver wire doesn't make speakers sound bright.

it's not your speakers so don't waste your time changing them as they great.

cheers jonn

A

Anonymous

I had the MA RS1s and found them too bright. I changed interconnects and speaker wire and they were still too bright. Bite the bullet and flog the speakers using their age as a tickler. Try some Dali Lektor 2's instead.

If you _really_ can't flog them then make sure your stands are filled, have no toe-in on them at all, reinforce the bass with rear walls, get some copper speaker wire from Russ Andrews and a VDH interconnect and cross your fingers. The Tacima used only on the CDP might help too, but is a good surge protector if not. Don't pay any more than £25 delivered for one.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Even though the Chord is a silver coated copper, the Carnival Silver Plus isn't particularly bright, and is definitely smoother than the QED equivalent. The Arcam isn't a bright sounding amp, so it is pointing more towards the speakers, not that I'd say they're bright to the point of being unlistenable.

Are the speakers near to side walls? These can reflect treble and make a speaker sound brighter than they are, as can a laminated floor.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Please read this!!!

Chord Carnival SilverScreen offers a set of performance characteristics that make it unique at its price point. The oxygen free copper multi stranded conductors used in Carnival SilverScreen have been borrowed from the Chord Carnival Classic. Likewise the low-density polyethylene insulation and twisted pair configuration. The conductors are surrounded by a soft PVC casing that provides excellent mechanical damping characteristics. This is surrounded by a heavily overlapped dual foil shielding system and this in turn is surrounded and protected by a translucent PVC outer jacket, again with excellent mechanical damping characteristics.

Taken from Chord.co.uk

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought, try a home audition using the Chord Chameleon Interconnect.

Had a demo today using Rega Saturn, Naim 5i and Rega Rs3's using Chord Crimson interconnect which I currently have. Was thinking of upgrading to the chameleon so asked for the leads to be swapped. All I can say is wow I heard a lot more detail especially in the lower frequencies, also made thesound a lot warmer generally.

A

Anonymous

True Blue:
Just a thought, try a home audition using the Chord Chameleon Interconnect.

Had a demo today using Rega Saturn, Naim 5i and Rega Rs3's using Chord Crimson interconnect which I currently have. Was thinking of upgrading to the chameleon so asked for the leads to be swapped. All I can say is wow I heard a lot more detail especially in the lower frequencies, also made thesound a lot warmer generally.

A

Anonymous

The interconnect. Very good I/C and is an excellent upgrade from those under £80. The system looks rather nice too though. I bet those RS3s are fab matched well.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Guess what I spent this morning doing??
emotion-2.gif

Little bit of saving first. Yep the Rega and Naim mix was awesome. Thought about rs3's with rega mira bit too restrained for my likings, then plugged in the Naim!!!!

Thing is the RS3's didnt soundout of place with anything

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts