help make my hifi sound warmer ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
beachBOYken:
i have but im exchanging it because it was faulty

also i still have my other amp im using for the time being , still upgrading cables should be an improvement

So certain?

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:beachBOYken:

also i still have my other amp im using for the time being , still upgrading cables should be an improvement

So certain?

theres only one way to find out
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

try putting a tesco's marble chopping board under the Cdp, some times a bit of jitter can make you twitter.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
beachBOYken:drummerman:beachBOYken:

So certain?

theres only one way to find out
emotion-1.gif

Perhaps two ... ?

A

Anonymous

* Make all of your changes and leave it all in for 100 hours. Then decide
emotion-1.gif
Remember, speaker position can make a difference to sound and some say listener position can to.

* Keep the speakers straight and not toed-in. This will help to avoid 'beaming' of the high frequencies from the tweeters and may reduce brightness a little. Some speakers need to beam directly to the listener to get the best soundstage (Proac?) but the RS1s don't.

* Sit with the tweeter below your ear level. According to Sonus Faber having the tweeter level with or above your ear may increase brightness. Having them below will help reduce brightness. Some people even place their speakers upside down to get the desired effect. Have a play.

* Keep the speakers somewhat near to a rear wall, tuning the bass to taste and reinforcing it with the wall. Extra bass, particularly the warmer, slower bass from wall reinforcement can help give the illusion that the sound is less bright. Subs play this trick on the mind rather well too.

* Keep them away from side walls to avoid reflections that may make a bright sound worse.

* Place a nice, thick rug on the floor in front of the speakers to help deaden room acoustics (reflections).

* Drawer the curtains.

* Stand the CDP and amp on separate shelves/units and isolate them with a granite saucepan block from Tescos, with half squash balls underneath to act as feet.

* Keep interconnects and speaker wire away from mains wires. I cable tie I/Cs together in four places to keep things tidy.

* Put whitetak under each corner of each speaker on the stands.

If this lot fails to help the brightness then change the speakers to something that suits the room, your taste, the music and the electronics.

Gasp.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
thats some great advice , thanks very much , ive got some bluetak under my speakers ,as for rear and side walls i have problems with room . my speakers are about 50 cms away from the rear wall and the left speaker is about 40cm away from the side wall , as my hi-fi is in a corner (only place i can put)

cheers

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Leave the amp plugged into the wall because it will make high current demands and the Tacima may be a limiting factor. I hasten to add, I'm not an expert.

I've always had it plugged in, will have to give this a try.

A

Anonymous

Brisk:igglebert:Leave the amp plugged into the wall because it will make high current demands and the Tacima may be a limiting factor. I hasten to add, I'm not an expert.

I have taken this advice on face value from an electronics expert (that rebuilt my amp). I am no expert myself but see how you get on.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
beachBOYken:do the clearer audio mains leads need a certain amount of burn in time??

I find it increasingly more difficult to take you seriously ...

I'd like to be wrong though so won't post anymore in this thread
emotion-5.gif

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
beachBOYken:do the clearer audio mains leads need a certain amount of burn in time??

I find it increasingly more difficult to take you seriously ...

I'd like to be wrong though so won't post anymore in this thread
emotion-5.gif

i dont have much knowledge of all the cables side , so am just trying things out , sorry about that
emotion-7.gif

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
You might want to try some attenuators. My Rothwells have smoothed out the sound in my set-up, with only a small sacrifice in punch/attack.

They're cheap too, so if you don't like them, it's not the end of the world. (These do need a degree of running in, as straight from the box they overplayed the weighty, smooth side of things. Now they're far more balanced).

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Brisk:igglebert:Leave the amp plugged into the wall because it will make high current demands and the Tacima may be a limiting factor. I hasten to add, I'm not an expert.

I have taken this advice on face value from an electronics expert (that rebuilt my amp). I am no expert myself but see how you get on.

I did a few tests.

There is a difference, I think. When the amp is conditioned the sound is a little more open, straight into the wall (via 2 extension leads, this might make a difference?) it seems a little veiled. Its not night and day, but I'm keeping it plugged in for convenience. I think there are many factors at play, subjectivity obviously, no side by side comparison and my preference, as I've always listened the conditioned way. Be good to hear some other thoughts if anyone else can do some tests.

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
i will try to test the amps mains in the tacima and in the wall mains , and see if there is a difference , i will proberly get a clearer audio mains lead for it so i will proberly put it into the wall mains , as this seems to be what everyone has suggested

A

Anonymous

It might be more clear cut for me because I plug the power amp into the wall but the pre into the Tacima.

A

Anonymous

Ditch the RS1s.

Don't mess around with mains.

Speakers are the most important thing in the HiFi yet this thread has digressed to bloody extension blocks!

beachBOYken

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
coming away from the 'hi-fi warmer question' as i may get different speakers in the future .

my cd player and amp has a 13amp fuse would both be ok together in the tacima , not expert on mains but would the tacima not get overloaded , if thats the correct word?

thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts