Hegel Röst (Rost) review

insider9

Reviews in general discuss components from value for money perspective. After all sonic virtues one's looking for are only achievable in one's budget. Often we discuss compromises and look for specific set of traits to make things work for a given system in regards to specified price bracket. It is not every day you can double or treble what your're willing to spend just to get everything you're after. And value for money approach is not a bad thing in principle. Where things get tricky is the minute you reach a certain level of fidelity that in order for you to surpass it you're forced to look at a number of factors that most artists don't even consider while recording. That's for me were famous "law of diminishing returns" come in. It's when you look into the recording at the finest of levels. Ultimate detail, abundance of spatial cues, it's where accuraccy is not enough and where you need absolute transparency. All sounds great? Right... see my use of the term "recording" a couple of sentences back was intentional. So often when a certain of level of performance is reached it is no longer about musical reproduction. And that's fine but what if the next level compromise is between the musicality and the ultimate analysis. What are we listening to after all music or sound?

So what if we looked at it from a different perspective for once? What was necessary for musical reproduction? What was the difference between sound and music? For me as someone who spent his formative years around live instruments music was always about rhythm. I could hear music when a dripping tap would create the most intriguing of time signatures. I was the guy who would be quite happy to just listen to the rhytm section. In fact when recording vocals I usually did this to the accompaniament of the rhythm section only. All the trimmings would come next and all were not essential to me. I know this may be quite a peculiar view and many would disagree. Many would put melody front and centre and work from there. Well you see melody at the end of the day needs its own rhythm, without different rhythm you have a different melody. But rhythm does not need melody.

So looking at it from this perspective of chosing hifi component you're forced to look for certain traits which are not necessarily the ones many people go for. What is after all needed to reproduce the sound of a drum? Dynamics... where many of my previous gear would handle these with different degrees of confidence I've not yet heard another component that matches Hegel with the way it does it. Where attack is what many manufacturers pay attention to Hegel does it differently. Yes, the attack is still there and lightning quick but what differentiates it for me is how it handles decay and the fact it decays into the blackest of backgrounds. I spent my first hour with Rost not really knowing what it was that made it sound so right. Then I realised it was the sound of the rhythm section. Drums sounded convincing with an immediate kick drum that had punch and carried rhythm so well. The bass guitar notes that had precise edges but it didn't do it at a cost of timbre. Bass was textured and well reproduced whether you're listening to Charles Mingus or Red Hot Chili Peppers. Kick drum doesn't blend in with bass guitar it's all separate with it's own distinct sound.

The presentation is build from ground up. But it doesn't mean bass is exagarated. It is punchy and deep but doesn't overpower the midrange. But it allows for a very confident rhytmic presentation that lets music flow. Whether it's a small Jazz trio like on Esperanze Spalding's album "Junjo" that keeps it relatively simple or a Progressive Metal of Animals as Leaders self titled debut album that's a little more demading. Rost has a way with rhythm that many amps I've heard just don't do it so well. And the background for all of it is really impressive. Dark as if there was nothing there.

Moving up to mids these are reproduced accurately and with a lot of detail. There's a lovely differentiation of timbre. When listening to Jeff Buckley "Grace" (title track) the many guitars are easy to follow as they just sound so different. Mix of synths and natural sounding instruments on Enya's "Shepherd Moons" album is done expertly with distinct layers and rhytmical patterns. Intruments and vocals have space to breathe and fill the soundstage. Hegel favours a rather accurate presentation when it comes to vocals. I admit to have a slight preference in this area which is much more towards valves. I like the euphonic ghostly qualities that create and illusion and Hegel is certainly not that. However the whole spectrum is done in such a way that I appreciate and enjoy it without being critical. Mainly because how fierce it can sound. And no it's not just in bass. Listening to Miles Davis's "Milestones" is really something. Horns are pounding and it's just how it's supposed to be.

Moving up once again, treble doesn't attract any attention to itself. There's enough bite in the cymbals which I like at the same time there's no brightness or coarseness. Top is open and not favoured over all other bands. I'd call it honest but it certainly isn't a negative. Ribbon tweeters in my speakers are quite fussy when it comes to this area and any harshness would be exposed. I would say and this is a personal preference I'd rather have more sparkle and sweetness here but if you're after honest presentation it's there.

From functionality perspective I must admit my first impressions where somewhat inaccurate. I was under impression that the in-built DAC was easily bettered. And it could be... Hegel decided to treat it's USB input in a slightly different way. It limited it to 24/96 input but allows using play/pause/skip buttons on the remote when used with PC playback. I like that functionality however USB can sound slightly congested when compared to Optical input. When comparing the DAC via one of it's Optical inputs it really would need a class compontent to bettered it. For non critical listening there's also Upnp and Airplay. Both do really well and having tried it with Tidal via BubbleUpnp and Apple Music via Airplay I must admit Hegel is probably cheating a little :) lossy Apple Music did sound quite good even when compared to Tidal.

Before I finish this review I should add that I was not really looking at buying an amp. I wanted to buy a DAC to compliment my now departed Densen B-110. It was only becasue of Rick at Musicraft that I considered Hegel and his insistence to try the Rost. Thanks very much, Rick :) I admit it didn't take me long to my mind up. It just sounded right and compared to Densen that's not an easy feat.

So, what is necessary for musical reproduction? Whatever it is after 4 weeks with Rost I can assure you... Rost has it.

insider9

I admit it was the hardest one yet. Found it quite hard to put it into words as nothing really stood out. And it was the basics that ultimately made me appreciate it. It just sounds right and gets you to listen to music as opposed to analyse it.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I wish you could come back my way and listen to my Yamaha now I have it back insider as I tried to remember what the Hegel sounded like compared to my Yamaha ones I got mine back but keep thinking my Yamaha is actually a bit more richer and bolder then the Hegel .

but saying all this I did like the Hegel I thought it was a very good amplifier

insider9 said:
Before I finish this review I should add that I was not really looking at buying an amp. I wanted to buy a DAC to compliment my now departed Densen B-110. It was only becasue of Rick at Musicraft that I considered Hegel and his insistence to try the Rost. Thanks very much, Rick :) I admit it didn't take me long to my mind up. It just sounded right and compared to Densen that's not an easy feat.

Hi insider9

Thanks for the review and you're welcome.

Can't argue against the Rost at less then £600 *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What a Fantastic review, well done !

I recognise many of the attributes you pointed out in your review especially these,

I could hear music when a dripping tap would create the most intriguing of time signatures. - I do this sort of thing all the time I can't stop myself.

And this.

Yes, the attack is still there and lightning quick but what differentiates it for me is how it handles decay and the fact it decays into the blackest of backgrounds.

This is one of the things I love the most about my amps. *yes3*

You should write reviews for a HiFi publication *good* .

insider9

Very kind of you to say so. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure you remember me saying that I'm still very much intrigued with Electrocompaniet. Maybe one day.

Ellisdj, I'm still to compare two Hegels from same generation. H160 comparison to Rost I've done would not be representative of what it means going up the range. I have my expectations based on experience and what I've read but that's more of an educated guess. Maybe Davidf would chime in?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Nice review but for those of us not familiar with the unit, a brief description of what it actually does would be useful. Normally I would just look on the Hegel website but that is short of detail too.

Most obviously missing is any information on the network/streaming functions, what can it actually do? Streams tracks from a NAS I presume but what about services like Spotify and Tidal? Internet radio, Bluetooth/Airplay? Does it do gapless?

I appreciate that with a product like this the emphasis is on musical ability but it is described as a streamer + dac + amp but this functionality seems very down played, any thoughts on that?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Very kind of you to say so. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I'm sure you remember me saying that I'm still very much intrigued with Electrocompaniet. Maybe one day.

Ellisdj, I'm still to compare two Hegels from same generation. H160 comparison to Rost I've done would not be representative of what it means going up the range. I have my expectations based on experience and what I've read but that's more of an educated guess. Maybe Davidf would chime in?

How do they break the range down? I have only really seen the Integrated and Power amps

is it a seperate range for products with Integrated Dacs?

What do you get when you go up the range? happy for David or Rick to answer - its interesting to know

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I believe functionality (amp, DAC & streaming) stays largely the same further up the range.

The difference I can see is mainly in power.

H90 does not have balanced.

insider9

Fair comments.

Rost is an integrated amplifier with built in DAC, headphone amp and a basic network streaming capability. Network streaming is only available via wired connection using either Upnp/DLNA or Airplay. Hegel didn't develop their own app for this. My understanding is it also has some smart home features via Control4 but I don't know anything about it.

Good digital connectivity is complimented by a set of balanced inputs and a couple of unbalanced ones. There's also variable pre outs.

D

Deleted member 160668

Great review insider. I’d been very interested to hear Hegel and had always assumed they were far beyond my price range.

David - this is <£600? Is that new/2nd hand? Seems a lot of kit for a great price.

I may be very tempted to try one also as I am a notorious box-swapper.

insider9

RRP for Rost in the UK is £2,200. Mine was ex-demo and at a very special price and many thanks to Rick for that. Should you get an opportunity to buy one at that price go for it without hesitation but at its RRP it is still great value for money one box solution.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I will admit that I had to read it several times to absorb the finer points that you mentioned. And now that I've understood everything you set out to convey, I have to agree on your different approach to the review.

You made the Hegel a superstar on this forum :)

You should really post more auditions. Sounded like a professional review, with your seperate impressions on the bass, mids and treble. And all under pinned with Excellent rythm.

insider9

I did my best. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It took me several tries to write it :)

I've been quite blessed with the last few amps that were all different kind of musical. The journey of last 6 months was Roksan - > Naim - > Densen - > Hegel

Choice between the last two was the hardest. Though different in many ways I enjoyed both however felt Hegel just worked better with my speakers. Add the extra functionality and Densen had to make way. Shame as I enjoyed it and I can see myself going back to Densen in the right system at some point in the future.

As to making Hegel popular... If so it's unintended result of my curiosity.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
The Hegel was always a super star. But as with all professional reviews which are to be taken with a bit of salt. A user experience, especially coming from someone trusted like you, goes a long way into increasing the equipment's appeal.

I do take note that you mentioned ' with my speakers'.

I think you or Al ears had auditioned the parasound sometime back, though I can't remember exactly. If you have heard the parasound, can you please elaborate the differences between the Hegel sound and parasound's. Would be interested to know :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Bit late to the party but an excellent review Insider *good*

insider9

Many thanks for your kind words.

Newlash, I've not heard the Parasound. It could've been Al as I know he did mention it a few times and all was positive indeed positive. I wish I could offer up a comparison for you.

And indeed please bear in mind that it is in relation to my speakers. And in fact I'm quite curious to hear it on the end of other speakers so watch this space. Not had another pair of speakers in 3 months and that's a long time. Quite unusual for me to only have my main speakers and nothing else.

insider9 said:
Many thanks for your kind words.

Newlash, I've not heard the Parasound. It could've been Al as I know he did mention it a few times and all was positive indeed positive. I wish I could offer up a comparison for you.

And indeed please bear in mind that it is in relation to my speakers. And in fact I'm quite curious to hear it on the end of other speakers so watch this space. Not had another pair of speakers in 3 months and that's a long time. Quite unusual for me to only have my main speakers and nothing else.

I am afraid it was me that mentioned the Halo Integrated but as I haven't heard a Rost, or any of the newer Hegels, I couldn't comment further, and it would be pointless anyway because you have to audition these things for yourself.

rainsoothe

Great read. I heard the h80, and I quite liked it (think it's the same amplification as what the Rost uses). If I had to downsize, it would be my first go-to, I think. Even though it would be between that and a similarly priced Naim integrated, as I think Naim can still boogie a tad better, and I'm not an "instrument separation" freak

TRENDING THREADS