What CD Player - Marantz SA10 or Hegel Viking?

Vortex

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Thinking about replacing the CD Player in my system and looking at Marantz SA10 with the other option being a Hegel Viking. Any thoughts on this or feedback on either? I know the Hegel Viking is quite new. Amplifier is a Hegel H590 Reference paired with Kef Reference 3 Foundry Edition speakers, I’m currently using a Roksan Caspian M2 CD player which I’ll most likely re deploy to another system in the house.

Both huge money for a CD player but I’m not sure how large the performance difference is going to be from my current Roksan M2.

Be great to hear peoples views. Thanks

Hi,

Thinking about replacing the CD Player in my system and looking at Marantz SA10 with the other option being a Hegel Viking. Any thoughts on this or feedback on either? I know the Hegel Viking is quite new. Amplifier is a Hegel H590 Reference paired with Kef Reference 3 Foundry Edition speakers, I’m currently using a Roksan Caspian M2 CD player which I’ll most likely re deploy to another system in the house.

Both huge money for a CD player but I’m not sure how large the performance difference is going to be from my current Roksan M2.

Does your Hegel have an inbuilt DAC?
If so save yourself some money and simply buy a CD transport
Edit: I see it does. Just buy a good cd transport

D

Deleted member 201267

Hi,

All i can say is i wish it was a decision / problem i had !

WayneKerr

Never heard a Roksan but I've got a Marantz Ruby CDP and it was a huge leap from my previous Marantz Pearl Lite player. Can only imagine the SA-10 will sound mightily impressive, just need to make sure it's your cuppa.

Personally a non-matching pair would not suit my taste, so I'd probably go for the Viking or ditch the H590 in favour of a PM-10 :)

I believe the first review is being translated at the moment, but you’ll see many more appearing over the coming months. I’d wait and see if any of those reviews grab you, and if so, get a listen to one. Many raved about the Mohican, but apparently comparisons between the Mohican and Viking show distinct improvements. This comparison was going to be hosted at the North West Audio Show, but a Viking didn’t quite appear in time for it.

Last edited:

Vortex

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Any particular reason for these two? Is there a maximum budget? I see your last comment was from a couple of years ago asking about upgrading from the 390 to the 590, which it looks like you did.

A couple of reasons it is these two, firstly I’ve had my eye on the Marantz SA10 for a while after reading various reviews which really rated it. The Hegel Viking idea came from looking at another option and being very pleased with the Hegel components I’ve owned so far. You picked up on my previous post about upgrading an earlier H390 for the H590 and that turned into a bit of a journey - initially I was convinced the H590 didn’t sound quite as good as the H390 which I really liked. The H390 just seemed more lively / energetic which didn’t feel right as the shop price of a H590 is nearly double the H390. I spoke to some Hegel experts along with Hegel themselves and they quite quickly said to me that it sounds like you have purchased a nearly new amplifier that someone hasn’t done anywhere near enough run-in hours on. They advised me to burn off at least 50 hours and then tell them it does’t sound as good as the H390. Anyway, I put some hours on it and it started sounding outstanding and I’ve been very happy with it.

Budget wise I think both are ridiculously priced for a CD player but I’m not someone who endlessly changes things which helps with the man maths to justify it (think keep it x amount of years and get the value from it).

Vortex

Jun 6, 2021
Visit site
Never heard a Roksan but I've got a Marantz Ruby CDP and it was a huge leap from my previous Marantz Pearl Lite player. Can only imagine the SA-10 will sound mightily impressive, just need to make sure it's your cuppa.

Personally a non-matching pair would not suit my taste, so I'd probably go for the Viking or ditch the H590 in favour of a PM-10 :)

Non-matching pair not an issue for me as it’s more about it sounding right (although matching stuff does look great!). The Hegel H590 has been outstanding so I’m not sure how a PM-10 would compare with it. The damping factor on the Hegel along with the power available makes it hard to beat for an integrated set up.

Happy to take any suggestions recommendations on a good CD transport.
Well, looking vat your budget, there are plenty from the Audiolab 9000CDT to this:-
Or this :-
Along with plenty of others depending on whether you need SACD playback.

WayneKerr

Non-matching pair not an issue for me as it’s more about it sounding right (although matching stuff does look great!). The Hegel H590 has been outstanding so I’m not sure how a PM-10 would compare with it. The damping factor on the Hegel along with the power available makes it hard to beat for an integrated set up.
My comments were of course tongue in cheek :)
However, regarding my own Ruby pair the SACD got glowing reviews, the amp not so, until one reviewer ran them together and realised they were designed to be paired. On this aspect only you would really need to try both the Viking and the SA-10 with your amp. I'm sure both will be excellent and your ears will make the final decision (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts