Hegel house sound

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Romulus said:
drummerman said:
newlash09 said:
When you get the hegel, can you please post your comparisons between the hegel and cyrus. Quest has been singing so long about the cyrus, and it is ringing in my head now. Really want to know the differences . Thanks :)

Sure :)

I don't know why but I thought you had Naim Audio?  I also too will be interested in your take on the Hegel amp espescially your impression of the sound of the internal Dac or will you be using an outside DAC? 

The only DAC I will be able to compare it to is the HifimeDIY.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This thread has been a very interesting read for many reasons. One thing that jumps out at me (according to those who have first hand experience of the brand) is that the different models have very different sounds. Could this perhaps be down to the different approach they have taken to negative feedback, as per DM’s video link? I guess if you like the H60, H90 or whatever more than the H160 or Rost then who’s to criticise as choice is no bad thing, but it kind of flies in the face of any claim that these amps offer any kind of neutrality. I almost bought one blind a few weeks ago, but am now not at all convinced TBH.

insider9

Gazzip said:
This thread has been a very interesting read for many reasons. One thing that jumps out at me (according to those who have first hand experience of the brand) is that the different models have very different sounds. Could this perhaps be down to the different approach they have taken to negative feedback, as per DM’s video link? I guess if you like the H60, H90 or whatever more than the H160 or Rost then who’s to criticise as choice is no bad thing, but it kind of flies in the face of any claim that these amps offer any kind of neutrality. I almost bought one blind a few weeks ago, but am now not at all convinced TBH.
Neutrality... not one frequency spectrum is exaggerated. Isn't this what neutrality means?

For me having spent ample time with H160 (older gen) and Rost (new gen) is that new generation has a fuller sound. I'm not sure I'd call it warmer.

I've read on another forum older Hegel described as slightly cooler side of neutral. This would put new Rost (at least) bang on neutral. But in relation some could call it warmer, I guess.

However you look at it speaker matching is vital.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its fast and neutral, somewhat in Cyrus style.

At present, after its been running a few hours, it differs slightly in presentation.

Compared to what I have it is slightly broad midrange/lower treble excentric, if that makes sense, in that it is somewhat more forward from perhaps about 400hz to 4khz or thereabouts. It seems very slightly brighter there but perhaps not as focused. Bass is very good if somewhat less extended and 'elastic' than the Cyrus plus PSX-R.

Dynamically it seems less expressive and somewhat more measured. The difference between loud and quiet is less pronounced. Sound is more upfront at plane of speakers with somewhat less depth.

There is nothing harsh about it though.

Bearing in mind it probably will change very slightly tonally still and I am used to a certain sound which I had for years.

This all means probably little if they don't use cyrus. In that case I would call the amplifier neutral, at least with the stuff I have at hand.

I will do more listening as and when I have time this weekend.

insider9

Is that via built in DAC?

I've noticed with Rost that even more can be had using external DAC. Not that the internal is bad but the comments around mids (slighly more forward in the soundstage were my impressions) could be to do with the DAC.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No. At present I am streaming Tidal Hifi through a CCA and external HifimeDIY DAC into an analogue in. I will try the internal DAC once I have familiarised myself a little more with the sound.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

What are you comparing with Cyrus wise drummerman. Sorry you did tell me before I think. I suppose the Hegel compares price wise to an 8 2 dac on current range, without the psx-r.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
What are you comparing with Cyrus wise drummerman. Sorry you did tell me before I think. I suppose the Hegel compares price wise to an 8 2 dac on current range, without the psx-r. 

An 8vs2 & PSX-R.

Some observations on build quality of the H90; Whilst not the most inspiring of designs I would imagine many liking it for its absence of buttons on the front. The metal casing has rows of big slots for ventilation. If nothing else its a dust trap over time and I would advise to cover the amp when not in use/switched off. - It works for the intended use of cooling but a little more imagination could have gone into it. - What it does is allow you to see a good deal of the very well built/arranged inside including LED's which I assume are part of the active circuit. If I remember correctly Ayre use LED's too as part of their in or output stage, the exact purpose of which escapes me at present. Must look it up again. You can see the 2 x 10'000uf per channel supply capacitors and a large toroid. Impressive for a rated 60w/ch. The circuitboard quality seems very good. -

The volume knob has a lovely raster when turning. How many manufacturers have overlooked this simple but important part of the interface. Sloppy, vague and 'egging' volume knobs are not exactly rare. Speaker terminals are good quality and wide enough spaced for even thick or unwieldy cables.

The best bit by far is the display. It's big enough to see across a room. I am not sure if it is dimmable in stages but you can turn it off. - Unfortunately I dont think it is possible to assign individual names to inputs. Not a deal breaker but I would have liked to see that on a £1500 amplifier. Whilst on inputs, I also dont think input sensitivity can be adjusted. Not too many Hifi manufacturers include this feature so I can't criticise Hegel to much. Stll, Cyrus to name one does and it can be useful. I use the Cyrus remote to control the amp at the mo but the Hegel R/C is actually very nice looking. Just the right size and number of controls. Feels well built too compared to some alternatives.

I am not sure if you can put the amp into standby with its own remote. The power switch is under the amp. If not then that would be an oversight.

I think Hegel have got their priorities right, putting the emphasis on components inside and the user interface although there are some omissions. Perhaps models higher up in the range have some additional features?

I will listen more today/tomorrow, including using the internal DAC.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Have you tried the latest 8 dac or 8 2 dac preferably with the qx card. I’m sure from what you are saying it will be just as good as that Hegel , maybe only just different.

Come around to mine for a listening session if you are nearby. I might have asked you that already ?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you tried the latest 8 dac or 8 2 dac preferably with the qx card. I’m sure from what you are saying it will be just as good as that Hegel , maybe only just different. 

Come around to mine for a listening session if you are nearby. I might have asked you that already ? 

That is very kind though I don't know where you are.

As to sound, I am happy with Cyrus and happy with the Hegel. They are not that different but not the same. I will comment on it a little later. I would now also like to know what the H190 can do.

insider9

drummerman said:

Come around to mine for a listening session if you are nearby. I might have asked you that already ? 

That is very kind though I don't know where you are.

As to sound, I am happy with Cyrus and happy with the Hegel. They are not that different but not the same. I will comment on it a little later. I would now also like to know what the H190 can do.
*biggrin*

drummerman said:
MUSICRAFT said:
drummerman said:
insider9 said:
Drummerman, waiting in anticipation. Have you got it yet?

Hi Insider. Not yet. May have it this weekend.

Hi drummerman

Please take a look at your text messages *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Great. Thank you Rick.

Hi drummerman

You’re welcome *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts