Hegel house sound

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

drummerman said:
I take it you bought the Rost.

Impressions?
Nearly, deciding between Rost and H160. Had Rost over the weekend and swapped for H160 on Monday. I really like the Rost just wanted to see if H160 would be a step up.

They're different so comparison isn't that simple to do. I'll do a full write up once I've had more time with H160. Both Rick and David may be surprised but at the minute I think I prefer the Rost. But that's down to a couple of smaller things and how it interacts with my speakers and system and not indicative of overall quality. More to do with presentation than anything else. The way it's voiced is very interesting. Must add I had good 3 days of listening to Rost and only 3 hours to H160. That unfortunate thing happened where I kept cranking the volume up on H160 and now my ears keep ringing where there's nothing playing so need a bit of a rest.

More to follow.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
drummerman said:
I take it you bought the Rost.

Impressions?
Nearly, deciding between Rost and H160. Had Rost over the weekend and swapped for H160 on Monday. I really like the Rost just wanted to see if H160 would be a step up.

They're different so comparison isn't that simple to do. I'll do a full write up once I've had more time with H160. Both Rick and David may be surprised but at the minute I think I prefer the Rost. But that's down to a couple of smaller things and how it interacts with my speakers and system and not indicative of overall quality. More to do with presentation than anything else. The way it's voiced is very interesting. Must add I had good 3 days of listening to Rost and only 3 hours to H160. That unfortunate thing happened where I kept cranking the volume up on H160 and now my ears keep ringing where there's nothing playing so need a bit of a rest.

More to follow.

Waiting in anticipation, like a coiled spring ... :)

Waiting to hear from Rick about the H90 at present.

I believe the newer range is voiced slightly different, warmer?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
drummerman said:
Hegel H190 receives 'outstanding' award in Jan 2018 HN&RR.

Looks still questionable.

Confused? The aesthetics are questionable or the receipt of an outstanding award?

My bad. I was referring to the austere front and stilt feet. The display has improved though.

Imho.

insider9

drummerman said:

That's great as it is the one I set my heart on. Will have the Rost too :)

Both Rost and H160 are great in their own way but the new generation has got a different sound. I personally prefer the newer generation sound. So DM you're in for a treat with H90. Not heard it but can only speculate that it will be a keeper.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
85637-Big-Hug-Bear.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
drummerman said:

That's great as it is the one I set my heart on. Will have the Rost too :)

Both Rost and H160 are great in their own way but the new generation has got a different sound. I personally prefer the newer generation sound. So DM you're in for a treat with H90. Not heard it but can only speculate that it will be a keeper.

I got in contact with Musicraft and hopefully they may be able to get me a H190 too. I have to wait and see. Fingers crossed. - However it will be an interesting comparison with the H90 and my Cyrus, roughly price comparable when new. - I had cyrus for many years and like the full but detailed and fast sound (and discrete looks). Still, I am happy to change allegiances if something exceptional comes along. I still think that could be in form and sound of Acoustic Energy's AE1a's. Seems a very tidy solution highly recommended.

Happy Days.

insider9

Bear in mind with AE1a's you will be comparing speakers really, not amplification. Of course if it sounds better than your Proac with Hegel or Cyrus it's all that matters but you could also look to upgrade the speakers and keep the Hegel. Definitely much more flexible way of doing it as opposed to buying actives. And in my opinion more fun :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
When you get the hegel, can you please post your comparisons between the hegel and cyrus. Quest has been singing so long about the cyrus, and it is ringing in my head now. Really want to know the differences . Thanks :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
newlash09 said:
When you get the hegel, can you please post your comparisons between the hegel and cyrus. Quest has been singing so long about the cyrus, and it is ringing in my head now. Really want to know the differences . Thanks :)

Sure :)

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
newlash09 said:

Sure :)

I don't know why but I thought you had Naim Audio? I also too will be interested in your take on the Hegel amp espescially your impression of the sound of the internal Dac or will you be using an outside DAC?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts