Hegel house sound

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
That's a lovely size room to listen to music to. You are absolutely right more grunt would be great but I'm sure it will be easier enough. If I still have the Densen I'll bring that too :)
just measured just over 5 meters for the longest part of my room and width is 4 meters

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
drummerman said:
insider9 said:
Any more thoughts on H90, Drummerman?

Hi Insider. - All good. I really enjoy it.

Hi drummerman 

And a great buy for less then £500 *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Indeed :)

Our talk earlier also gave me an idea for a possible substantial upgrade without compromising on options.

Very interesting and a pleasure talking to you.

insider9 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Bs25 and insider9

As well as the Rost would you guys also be interested to hear the H160 with the Dali’s?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick I wasn't ignoring you I thought we might pick this up on Monday. Cheers

Hi insider9

You really hurt my feelings. No H190 for you *biggrin*

Just kidding *smile*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

insider9

Controversial only if you've not experienced it.

When I first got the Densen it would take about 3 hours. Seriously thought I made the wrong choice. And the difference wasn't like Hegel good to very good. It was not so good to great. Having it constantly on now I swear there is no need for warmup after the unit has been on for months. But still let it run for customary 15 minutes.

Remember Roksan KA-1 Mk3 needed 45 minutes to an hour every time. When I upgraded it to L3 it was lovely from cold.

Very good point about the demo. That's likely what ruined my demo of Roksan K3.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Slightly controversial this ... :)

... but I seemed to have read somewhere that Schmegel recommend at least one hour of warm-up of their amps before optimal performance is achieved.

I am not usually terribly interested in such things but subjectively, I think I agree in this instance. From stone cold (non-standby) the amp seems to very slightly change its character from good to even better (don't you just love that?) within that time.

I would recommend that if you drive for a demo of the brand wait for an hour or make sure it has been on a while.

Incidently, there have been quite a few reviews and bench tests of amplifiers, by P.M of HifiNews, that change distortion characteristics during warm-up, not all for the better it may be worth pointing out.

So, there may be some truth in it rather than just my ears deceiving me.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yup, tricky this one. Made more complicated as it probably varies from brand to brand and likely even between models of a brand.

By the way, what are your future plans for your system?

I think we both hope on the 190. - I will of course try it with my existing system but plan to buy the AE1a's and use the 190 as pre-amp. That way I keep my options open ... 'best' of both worlds and all that ... :)

insider9

H190 would be the next natural step and same boat as you as to availability. So fingers crossed.

I'm sorted for speakers and in fairness it all started because I wanted a DAC. I wanted to upgrade my digital end only. I'm still enjoy Densen immensely. Rost is different and offers something completely different. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I like both.

Rost DAC in all honesty can be improved on so I'm back to quare one if H190 isn't going to happen. Looking at Chord 2Qute or Hugo or H160 for DAC duties.

I'm hoping that DAC implementation in H190 will be as good as H160 and H190 will be my almost all in one solution.

By the way if all you need is a pre for AE1a's H160 as a DAC is absolutely amazing.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I will try the internal DAC of the 90 today! Can't believe I haven't done so but the Hifime sounds superb through the Hegel so I simply haven't bothered with it :)

It won't be any better than the Rost's of course.

Bit of a dilemma you have. Whilst the 190 is likely to better my existing cyrus substantially it may be less clear cut with the Densen. Lovely amplifier that.

insider9

You never know. Rost and H160 use the same DAC chip. Rost has a slightly larger soundstage when used with an external DAC whereas H160 sounds the same via its analogue and digital. H160 sounds big either way. Rost can sound bigger with external DAC. That's why I'm baffled with their implementation.

I'm not exactly sure about H90 in regards to its DAC chip but will be interested to know.

If you try it the next step would be coney your amp to home network. You can use BubbleUPnp or Airplay and it works really well. Without any need for source if you're mainly streaming.

insider9

Yes, you can do Airplay but also DLNA.

BubbleUpnp (Android app) works with Tidal. Free version lets you play it for half hour at a time. Paid version has no restrictions and is only a few quid. It works rather well. However you wouldn't be using Tidal's own app.

I've used it with both and the results are really good. I haven't got CCA. Should I had one I'd probably use it as it's slightly easier.

Does CCA do gapless Tidal finally? BubbleUpnp does :)

insider9

Checked DAC chip on the H90 is the same as on Rost and H160... AKM 4396

I know implementation is everything but looking forward to your thoughts. I'm guessing DAC side is very similar between H90 and Rost.

Gapless matters to me when listening to live recordings.

Blacksabbath25 said:
I was thinking muscle rick .... the Hegel h190 or hegel h360 I would really like to listen too *smile* or even better a luxman amplifier

Hi Bs25

If here then Hegel’s top integrated the H360 which you can try.

Alternatively for muscle and outright punch and as your speakers are 4 ohms you can also try ATI’s 522NC.

No Luxman. An an alternative we do have Esoteric’s massive F-05 integrated amplifier. Although probably need to also hire a crane *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
I've got a quick question: do any of the Hegel amps have a balance control hidden in the menu anywhere?

Oh and while I'm asking, do they have (dare I ask *shok* ) any tone controls?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Slightly controversial this ... :)

... but I seemed to have read somewhere that Schmegel recommend at least one hour of warm-up of their amps before optimal performance is achieved.

One hour is not particularly controversial. Six weeks is!

Back in my Naim separates days I was authoritatively informed by my dealer (an old-school ‘chrome bumper’ Naim fanatic) that if turned off my system - to go on holiday for instance - that it could all take up to six weeks to recover!

Nutter. (Nice bloke and excellent dealer though.)

insider9

Rick, thanks for your call.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Was really looking forward to picking up the Rost today. As you know H160 is just waiting to be returned as not to my taste. Which I'm happy to do as soon as I hear from you.

Hope you stay in bed and get well soon.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Diamond Joe said:
I've got a quick question: do any of the Hegel amps have a balance control hidden in the menu anywhere?

Oh and while I'm asking, do they have (dare I ask *shok* ) any tone controls?
Not that I know of.
Thanks for answering. One of them I could just about do without but the other is a deal breaker which is a shame, I really like Hegel amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts