Eversolo DMP-A6

FJmack

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
Does the DMP-A6 allow you to use it as a transport only? That is use the streaming element of the product along with the app but use the DAC which may be built into your amplifier or a stand-alone DAC rather than the DAC in the DMP-A6?

It is likely that the quality of the sound has been downgraded by the DAC rather than the transport element. So if your amp already contains a DAC which you are happy with then this could be bought for the transport / App only and you would get all the benefits of the app without What Hifi’s reservations on the sound quality, possibly making it better than the other products mentioned.

Has this product been tested as a transport only?

manicm

Does the DMP-A6 allow you to use it as a transport only? That is use the streaming element of the product along with the app but use the DAC which may be built into your amplifier or a stand-alone DAC rather than the DAC in the DMP-A6?

It is likely that the quality of the sound has been downgraded by the DAC rather than the transport element. So if your amp already contains a DAC which you are happy with then this could be bought for the transport / App only and you would get all the benefits of the app without What Hifi’s reservations on the sound quality, possibly making it better than the other products mentioned.

British Audiophile reported that its optical and/or coaxial outputs are crap. So the only improvement is by using an external DAC via USB. So that's where they've cut one corner. But its internal DAC should be quite good already.

podknocker

Having a pair of ES9038Q2M DACs should be enough and there is more circuitry involved in producing the sound anyway. Being able to sample at 32bit and 768kHz is massively overkill in my opinion. CD quality is adequate and sampling music at huge levels above this is lost on human hearing. The silicon is great, but how far does this technology need to go before people realise it's just higher numbers for the sake of it? Having files at master studio quality, with the correct dynamic range taken into consideration, should be enough for anyone and any playback system. Human hearing has a finite capability and there's no point obsessing about DACs and sampling rates.

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I'm delighted the Eversolo Brand has finally been detected on the WHF radar. Still it was only a matter of time, after WHF sanitised the WiiM Pro Plus and gave it the big thumbs up.
It would have been nice if they reviewed in tandem the Master Edition or the vanilla version with the linear power supply.
WHF did a good macro job with the apps and third party software, where other reviewers only touched on it and it's about the package, the user experience as well as the sound quality.

I can't wait for the bigger and much costlier sibling DMP-A8 with AKM chipset (£1890) review to come through also.
There's hope for Topping, SMSL, Fosi (especially V3 class D amp), Gustard, SingXer, Hifiman, Aune and et'al :)

Last edited:

littlelioncub

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
British Audiophile reported that its optical and/or coaxial outputs are crap. So the only improvement is by using an external DAC via USB. So that's where they've cut one corner. But its internal DAC should be quite good already.
I saw / heard that comment on the video too , i must say i thought it a bit odd as it wasnt consistent with my experience of using this as a transport feeding a DAC ...

My system is Eversolo DMP A6 > Gustrad A26 DAC > NAIM NAP250DR > KEF R11 + Rel T9x

i tried out a number of cables ....Chord Epic USB Vs Epic Coaxial - thats about as fair a comparison between interfaces as you can have - the coaxial sounded better to my ears (and my friends) i had previously used it with Chord Shawline Coaxial Vs Audioquest Coffee - not quite a level playing field but again we both prefered the coaxial input, the coffee was slightly more resolving but the coaxial had a bit more meat on the bones.

Like most things in this game try things out for yourself and make your own mind up.

As a transport its pretty tasty, to give some comparison i was running a Naim Uniti Atom for a number of years but replaced it with DMP A6 & Gustard DAC and my system has never sounded so good.

littlelioncub

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site

Yes, see below for more details

yadrihal

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Bought this about a month ago following the rave reviews online . Currently have it connected to Meridian DSP5000 digital active speakers and it sounds amazing. I have added a 2tb ssd which has all my ripped CDs on it.

Reactions: Jasonovich

podknocker

Bought this about a month ago following the rave reviews online . Currently have it connected to Meridian DSP5000 digital active speakers and it sounds amazing. I have added a 2tb ssd which has all my ripped CDs on it.
Good to hear. I'm going to be tempted, if my Omnia fails. The DMP-A6 and the matching AMP-F2 could be amazing. I'm thinking the Master Edition and the DMP-A8 might be overkill and not deliver appreciably better sound and features, for my needs anyway.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I saw / heard that comment on the video too , i must say i thought it a bit odd as it wasnt consistent with my experience of using this as a transport feeding a DAC ...

My system is Eversolo DMP A6 > Gustrad A26 DAC > NAIM NAP250DR > KEF R11 + Rel T9x

i tried out a number of cables ....Chord Epic USB Vs Epic Coaxial - thats about as fair a comparison between interfaces as you can have - the coaxial sounded better to my ears (and my friends) i had previously used it with Chord Shawline Coaxial Vs Audioquest Coffee - not quite a level playing field but again we both prefered the coaxial input, the coffee was slightly more resolving but the coaxial had a bit more meat on the bones.

Like most things in this game try things out for yourself and make your own mind up.

As a transport its pretty tasty, to give some comparison i was running a Naim Uniti Atom for a number of years but replaced it with DMP A6 & Gustard DAC and my system has never sounded so good.
Welcome to the forum 😊
It's nice, you have embraced the best of ChiFi like I have. Gustard 26 is possibly the best DAC in its price range.

littlelioncub

Nov 23, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum 😊
It's nice, you have embraced the best of ChiFi like I have. Gustard 26 is possibly the best DAC in its price range.

Thank you, i dont often post on forums nowadays but did feel What Hi-Fi and other more traditional dealers were a little slow to recognise some of the Chi-Fi brands that are going to be very disruptive to the traditional business model. Time will tell if they can provide adequate support for the products they sell, if they can then it will change the market as we know it.... all in the favour of consumers.

I did try a few other streamers and DACs but settled on the Eversolo (i dont see it as a long term product) and the Gustard A26, i did have the R26 on trial as well and with some music it was better but with the music i listen to the A26 just edged it.

Chris Brooks

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site
A first post linking to outside sites and a YT video makes it look like spam. Let's hope it's not.
I own a Bluesound Node (N130) and recently (2 days ago) completed an LHY LPS kit upgrade. I'm happy with it.
The comments below the installation video for DMP-A6 upgrade are encouraging too.
Definitely not spam.
You can see my comments beneath the video of the Bluesound Node LPS kit upgrade.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_THwmx9eVQA&t=1423s

Chris Brooks

Nov 27, 2023
Visit site
I just saw that one a little earlier. That A8 does look good, doesn't it?
But is it value for money, I'm not sure.
As Srb says, the pre-amp isn't quite there on the A8. so your Gustard R26 still is King and probably the best value, too.
It is wonderful how it's all evolving with the A6 all lineared up making it just a hair away from greatness.
At their heels is Wiim. I wonder what Wiim trick comes next.
I can hardly wait for AKM's next iteration of Dacs and surprises next year.
Compliments of the season to you.

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Well that's interesting because Chinese users are mostly praise for A6's coaxial outputs, and they reckon its USB outputs usually sounds worse than coaxial.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts