Done with this thread!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

What would this system sound like:

'B&W HTM2 D3 centre, B&W DB1 sub, B&W 804 D3 Floorstanders and B&W 805 D3 rears, with an Arcam 8500 amp. Is this a good system? Is something not quite right? Cheers!

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:

'B&W HTM2 D3 centre, B&W DB1 sub, B&W 804 D3 Floorstanders and B&W 805 D3 rears, with an Arcam 8500 amp. Is this a good system? Is something not quite right? Cheers!
Do you mean 850?.. If you can put that together, that would Hifi & movie heaven.
Yep, that's it. Cheers. So you think it will sound good then?
regular_smile.gif

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:

Do you mean 850?.. If you can put that together, that would Hifi & movie heaven. Tell me you not. *lol*

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have not not heard Arcam with B&W so not sure how both match in terms of sound. If that was kef matching speakers then I would not hesitate to say it will match very well. Still, think the B&W's or more than capable & more.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
I have not not heard Arcam with B&W so not sure how both match in terms of sound. If that was kef matching speakers then I would not hesitate to say it will match very well. Still, think the B&W's or more than capable & more.
Cheers mate, just something I was thinking about.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For this level of speaker, I would normally be recommending pre/power systems, but Arcam's AV receivers are very capable in the amplifier department. At the Bristol Show, the 850 was being used as a pre/processor, with their A49 power amps being used to power a full KEF Reference Atmos system. Admittedly, using the power amplifiers is a bit of a cheat, but obviously the quality was coming from the AVR850 - nothing lacking in that department at all. It was a huge room though, hence the power amps, but "scaled down" to a normal sized living room, the AVR850 will fulfill the role perfectly well.

D

Deleted member 2457

David@FrankHarvey said:
For this level of speaker, I would normally be recommending pre/power systems, but Arcam's AV receivers are very capable in the amplifier department. At the Bristol Show, the 850 was being used as a pre/processor, with their A49 power amps being used to power a full KEF Reference Atmos system. Admittedly, using the power amplifiers is a bit of a cheat, but obviously the quality was coming from the AVR850 - nothing lacking in that department at all. It was a huge room though, hence the power amps, but "scaled down" to a normal sized living room, the AVR850 will fulfill the role perfectly well.
Cheers David.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I may just bite the bullet & get an AVR 850. I demo'd the 850 on 3 separate occasions & it was really something special. I was looking to get a 2 channel amp, but I love my movies as well. I may just settle for the 850 as an xmas present to myself. Am currently waiting for my IPL Acoustics S2TLK speakers, after receiving them would demo again with the 850.

Throw in Dirac Live for room correction & it really begins to all add up.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
I may just bite the bullet & get an AVR 850. I demo'd the 850 on 3 separate occasions & it was really something special. I was looking to get a 2 channel amp, but I love my movies as well. I may just settle for the 850 as an xmas present to myself. Am currently waiting for my IPL Acoustics S2TLK speakers, after receiving them would demo again with the 850.

Throw in Dirac Live for room correction & it really begins to all add up.
Ah nice one, David recommended it to me once before too.

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
I have heard the Arcam 850 powering some B&W CM10 speakers and they made a great match, not the same speakers as you are suggesting but may help with the quiery do B&W and Arcam go together.

In fact the 850 is on my to add list.

D

Deleted member 2457

Q5 said:
I have heard the Arcam 850 powering some B&W CM10 speakers and they made a great match, not the same speakers as you are suggesting but may help with the quiery do B&W and Arcam go together.

In fact the 850 is on my to add list.
Ah cheers! Ta

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel

First of all, are you sure you want to spend this amount of money?

If you are, it's imperative that you hear different options at different price points....I think the amp is simply surperb, so I would look at what different speakers give you in terms of vfm and presentation.

1. How important is 2 channel to you....this will determin how much to throw at the left and right channels.

2. For AV, go for the best centre and sub you can afford, even if you spend less on the rear channels (imo)

3. If you are at this level, you must hear the New Kef Refs....the Ref 1s would be plenty, if AV makes up most of your listening. The R Series are also worth a listen, but are not in the same league. The Arcam works well with both. FWIW. My AVR600 can drive the older Refs, no problem....and the 850 is better again.

4. JL Audio subs are worth checking out.

Make sure that you are prepared to spend the money before you listen to either of these options...as they will blow your socks off!!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Anything better for the money guys? Ta
Where's the money gel?
Just some from some things I have done and given and receiving. I was thinking about a 40th birthday present or before depending upon pricing. But this stuff is personal and I don't see others sharing personal details so nor will I.

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
Hi Gel

First of all, are you sure you want to spend this amount of money?

If you are, it's imperative that you hear different options at different price points....I think the amp is simply surperb, so I would look at what different speakers give you in terms of vfm and presentation.

1. How important is 2 channel to you....this will determin how much to throw at the left and right channels.

2. For AV, go for the best centre and sub you can afford, even if you spend less on the rear channels (imo)

3. If you are at this level, you must hear the New Kef Refs....the Ref 1s would be plenty, if AV makes up most of your listening. The R Series are also worth a listen, but are not in the same league. The Arcam works well with both. FWIW. My AVR600 can drive the older Refs, no problem....and the 850 is better again.

4. JL Audio subs are worth checking out.

Make sure that you are prepared to spend the money before you listen to either of these options...as they will blow your socks off!!
Cheers mate! Some interesting points, I think I will keep with B&W though. Do you think I will hear a big difference then?

Isn't the setup for your bedroom? Those floorstanders are only suitable for large rooms. What's the size of your bedroom?

I know your financial things are personal, I also know your condition very well, being a doctor. It's a question to ask yourself and being honest with yourself.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Do you think I will hear a big difference then?

Absobloodylutley!

Is 2 channel important to you?
Thanks. Nope.
This setup is really suitable for people interested in 2-channel setup. For movies, Pioneer will perform better, it is more forward sounding.
Ah, cheers BB, didn't know that! Do you think I should keep with what I got? Ta

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Isn't the setup for your bedroom? Those floorstanders are only suitable for large rooms. What's the size of your bedroom?

I know your financial things are personal, I also know your condition very well, being a doctor. It's a question to ask yourself and being honest with yourself.
Yep, for bedroom, quite big not sure how big. Okay, cheers mate.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I think @BB is making sense. The type of combination your thinking of is for medium to large rooms. You also mentioned 2 channel music is not that important to you. If I were you, I will save myself a lot of money. These type of Av amps are built & optimized to reproduce top notch SQ with 2 channel music hence the extra expense. Any of the the cheaper Marantz, Yamaha or Pioneer av amps will more than do the job for movies.

gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
CnoEvil said:
gel said:
Do you think I will hear a big difference then?  

Absobloodylutley!

Is 2 channel important to you?

Thanks.  Nope.  
This setup is really suitable for people interested in 2-channel setup. For movies, Pioneer will perform better, it is more forward sounding.
Ah, cheers BB, didn't know that!  Do you think I should keep with what I got?  Ta
Yes. Your bedroom will not benefit from larger speakers. In fact, it will sound worse.

gel said:
bigboss said:

Yep, for bedroom, quite big not sure how big. Okay, cheers mate.

Yes, Gel. You need to start measuring the room. If the room is too small for the intended speakers it'll sound dreadful. You'll be stifling the quality of both speakers and amplifier.

For gawd sake, gel, don't part with any money until you've dem'd first.

Regards whether it is any good at surround sound will be irrelevant in isolation.

But getting that tape measure out is uber important. I've been banging on here for years about room size and acoustics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts