Done with this thread!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys. I have learnt a lot about systems on this thread though, so defintely worth discussing. Thanks for all the input.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For me I am split between BB and Cno.

There is nothing wrong with Cno advice but he might not have seen the photos gel posted of his room.

The speakers are all placed quite poorly as they surround a tv squashed in a corner.

No point doing this with much better speakers is what BB is getting at.

Just like the advice I gave to Nugget Putting the speakers and main listening position in the correct / best spot will be a free upgrade, the best thing you will ever do for sound and then open up a worthwhile avenue to buying better av products. Pretty pointless if you don't start with the basics being right.

The advice to Gel to go demo is great advice and it would be an eye opener to the quality that is available if you do things properly but we know he doesn't want to do that unless they do demos in John Lewis.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I may be very late here but why do you need such a good set up in a bedroom?

Is it a very posh 2nd system or is that the main system?

buzz_lightclick

bigboss said:
I'm sorry but I strongly disagree with Cno here, especially for advice to gel. Besides egging him on to spend loads of money, I do not think Arcam will be any better than a Pioneer in a small room for movies. We're talking of a bedroom here, with a king size bed in the middle and furniture around. This is not a dedicated cinema room or living space. If gel needs to upgrade anything, it needs to be his room. The system he has currently is as good as it can get IMO.

Having quickly read the thread, I agree with this post over all the others.

Gel has posted photos of his setup in his bedroom on here before, and as BB says, most of it is taken up with a big bed. His TV is stuck in the corner on a stand right next to one front speaker with the other speaker in the opposite corner - he won't even wall mount it on the middle of the facing wall above the fireplace - perhaps he can't as it is not his house.

If anything his system may already be a little over powering for the size of room - and a 65" TV looks big in there to me. Talk of upgrades to the Arcam 850 and more powerful B&W series speakers is unnecessary for the room in question.

I think he would be better to spend time at looking at ways to get his own house/flat where he can build an even better home cinema system in the living room with less restrictions than he has now.

ellisdj said:
For me I am split between BB and Cno.

There is nothing wrong with Cno advice but he might not have seen the photos gel posted of his room.

The speakers are all placed quite poorly as they surround a tv squashed in a corner.

No point doing this with much better speakers is what BB is getting at.

Just like the advice I gave to Nugget Putting the speakers and main listening position in the correct / best spot will be a free upgrade, the best thing you will ever do for sound and then open up a worthwhile avenue to buying better av products. Pretty pointless if you don't start with the basics being right.

The advice to Gel to go demo is great advice and it would be an eye opener to the quality that is available if you do things properly but we know he doesn't want to do that unless they do demos in John Lewis.
Agreed.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
Andrewjvt said:
I may be very late here but why do you need such a good set up in a bedroom?

Is it a very posh 2nd system or is that the main system?
The bedroom system is his main system. He lives with his parents.

Then i really dont think b&w 800 are a good idea

A good set of 5.1 surround earphones possibly may be though

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What's all this negativity against decent bedroom systems?!!

As I said before, the useable space in my room is 12x14 feet, and I've already mentioned what I have in there, and what I would consider...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There should be no negativity towards the system being in the bedroom - it makes little difference its just a room.

I think there needs to be a choice made in every room.

How much do I love my system, how good do I want it to be, how far am I prepared to go to get the best from it.

Will I dedicate the room to it and compromise elsewhere, or will I compromise the system to have the room a certain way.

Thats there fundamentals play a huge part - such as speaker placement, sub placement and just as important Listening position placement.

A bedroom is a harder space because generally a bed goes the wrong way in the room, however if I was on my own and wanted max performance I would have the bed out the way best I can to have the system centralised best I can - however this is difficult I appreciate.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
however if I was on my own and wanted max performance I would have the bed out the way best I can to have the system centralised best I can - however this is difficult I appreciate.

hqdefault.jpg

I think the more serious point is not the fact it's a bedroom, but the overall size of the room, which is probably too small for the system being suggested in the original post.

D

Deleted member 2457

Pictures of the room. Can we still carry on with the thread, because I would like to get a quote on the system we decide on. I will probably not buy though, just doing some homework.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46498563@N07/28763531492/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46498563@N07/28253167583/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46498563@N07/28251022704/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46498563@N07/28583687880/in/dateposted-public/

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
Yup, too tight for 800 D3 series speakers. What you have now are probably the best bet for that room. Oh, and the off-centre TV's not ideal.
thumbs_up.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Is there a better amp than the Arcam 850? I would like it to be better than my Pioneer 81 for movies and music.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
You can only demo to see. I don't think you will use all the extra features of Arcam 850; 550 or even 450 will suit your 5.1 system better. Look at Anthem MRX510 / 520.
Cheers BB, I was thinking more in my super system that we were putting together.
thumbs_up.gif

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
800's are huge speakers for that size room - if you want big speakers big sound in limited space best go on wall - that makes more sense in that space anyway. I would put all the speakers on the walls as you have limited floor space.

Ideally I would push the bed up against the window - then you can put the chair next to it to get it central - compromise you lose your bedside tables.

You need to put the TV central and the fire place is in the way - either a custom stand, or DIY job or wall mount the tv infront, or over the fireplace or something to get that TV Central

Then move the cupboard with the blue doors to over next to the desk instead of the table thing to the right of the desk.

Then put your exisiting or whatever speakers you use in the best spot for them - equal distance apart from the TV and the centre speaker needs to be integrated into the custom stand or somehow integrated into the moving of the TV

Then and you should do this anyway your rear speakers should be facing you at the MLP not facing forwards, that is wrong to have them like that - instant improvement from doing that cost you nothing.

Looking at a new amp with better auto setup would be a wise choice - pioneers are very good amps but their auto setups are not the best and need manual skills to get the best out of them - and they have no bass management.

If your investing - invest it in the fundamentals otherwise whatever you buy will always be limited by the setup.

For movies only there are much better speakers out there for much less than B&W 800's in that environment - 800's woudl sound worse in there than much cheaper speakers designed for small room cinema M&K, XTZ and others

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If the fire is electric (looks like it) just unplug it and take it out - it can always go back in.

Then with the bed out of the way you will have some more floor space in front of the fire base etc to work around with a stand or whatever.

Actually easy to do - with the benefit far out weighing the effort and cost.

Then spend some time and go and see and hear proper home cinema systems - see how good it is and see if you want it.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
podiumXL-6.jpg

HiFi Racks - can be made to a custom size and fit right across infront of your empty fire place with all your kit and tv on. Simples

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Where there is a will there is a way - can get things much better - more cinematic if that is what you are after.

One thing I do really good is sound, and its the sound that makes everything you watch what it is - its the sound that captures the emotion not the visuals. Its more important.

I didnt even get started on your bass

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Where there is a will there is a way - can get things much better - more cinematic if that is what you are after.

One thing I do really good is sound, and its the sound that makes everything you watch what it is - its the sound that captures the emotion not the visuals. Its more important.

I didnt even get started on your bass

Less expensive (appropriate) equipment, correctly installed and set up, will sound markedly better than expensive equipment that has been "thrown in", with little thought/expertise.

- Try moving your room about, as Ellis has suggested

- If going ahead with an upgrade, spend some of the saving (by not going mad), on

(i) A day trip out to a good dealer, who has the equipment you want to hear...bring photos/room measurements.

(ii) A proffessionally done installation

This will be the best money you will have spent in some time....and is worth every penny.

FWIW. I would still be looking at the AVR850. I have first hand knowledge of just what a difference this level of upgrade can make. I previously had the AVR350, which was a highly regarded 1500GBP receiver, in its day....the difference the AVR600 made was remarkable. It sounded like I had also upgraded the speakers as well (Kef IQ9).

I am trying to structure this reply in such a way that I am not encouraging you to spend needlessly or inappropriately.....but carefully, methodically and appropriately.

I'm aware you have funds to throw at this and wish to get something that will bring longterm pleasure, for your 40th....which is why you need to carefully consider the excellent advice you have been given so far....as this adventure has the potential to turn into a very expensive disaster.

Maximize the room, get good advice, buy sensibly (based on dems) and get it properly installed....and you should have years of pleasure.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Ideally I would push the bed up against the window - then you can put the chair next to it to get it central - compromise you lose your bedside tables.

You need to put the TV central and the fire place is in the way - either a custom stand, or DIY job or wall mount the tv infront, or over the fireplace or something to get that TV Central

Then move the cupboard with the blue doors to over next to the desk instead of the table thing to the right of the desk.

Then put your exisiting or whatever speakers you use in the best spot for them - equal distance apart from the TV and the centre speaker needs to be integrated into the custom stand or somehow integrated into the moving of the TV

58ee34bcc8965014a500a87f9287e1d0.jpg

ellisdj: 'Lose your bedside tables'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts