Does anybody use Plexamp? Better alternatives?

polarpam

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone uses or has used Plexamp?

I'm in the process of recording a bunch of CDs to Flac and am looking for the best software for steaming? I've been using Plexamp and was actually quite impressed with the app so far. I've seen Roon also mentioned and will trail it ( and will need to see if price is worth it).

I find local streaming apps are usually totally crap or a UI mess. Plexamp has it's flaws but does seem pretty nice so far.

Which solutions are people using?

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone uses or has used Plexamp?

I'm in the process of recording a bunch of CDs to Flac and am looking for the best software for steaming? I've been using Plexamp and was actually quite impressed with the app so far. I've seen Roon also mentioned and will trail it ( and will need to see if price is worth it).

I find local streaming apps are usually totally crap or a UI mess. Plexamp has it's flaws but does seem pretty nice so far.

Which solutions are people using?
I've used Bubble UPnP for years, never tried any alternatives. When streaming to my old Denon RCD-N7 it's better than using the Denon remote. Streams to my 2 CCA's no problem.
The issue I've seen with bubble is that when I'm searching albums in my music library, on some albums it randomly puts tracks from other albums in it, even photographs I have stored on my NAS in a completely different folder appear on some of the albums in my music library.
Bubble does sync with two online streaming services, Tidal & Qobuz can't tell you how well they integrate as I don't have either of them.

Reactions: iandb1970

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Having said all that I did about bubble, I looked at Plex website, I might give plexamp a go. The free version seems to do all that I need from a streaming app. The licensed version of bubble is a one off payment but I don't think it does anymore than the free version of plexamp.

Reactions: iandb1970

drinking12many

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
I use Plexamp and for the most part I am happy with it. I do not know what it truly passes to my DAC though on my PC. I have a Schiit Modi 3 on my PC and I have always been curious what format its truly outputting but not enough to really research how to tell etc...lol But it play DSD and FLAC files and according to my plex server its not transcoding it so there is that, but for anyone looking you need Plex to act as the server, and plex amp can run on the phone or a PC, its the player not the streaming server portion.

Last edited:

Gray

Foobar 2000 to play local FLAC from laptop.

Volumio to do the same from a Raspberry Pi....and to play the odd internet 'radio' streams (including the FLAC quality, Radio Paradise).

Never used Plexamp, so can't make comparisons with that.
All I can say is that Foobar and Volumio are great - and both free, which is handy as I'm allergic to spending money.
Seriously, can't imagine anything paid-for giving me any additional benefit anyway.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Foobar 2000 to play local FLAC from laptop.

Volumio to do the same from a Raspberry Pi....and to play the odd internet 'radio' streams (including the FLAC quality, Radio Paradise).

Never used Plexamp, so can't make comparisons with that.
All I can say is that Foobar and Volumio are great - and both free, which is handy as I'm allergic to spending money.
Seriously, can't imagine anything paid-for giving me any additional benefit anyway.
Allergic to spending money. You're not a Yorkshire man like me are you🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts