Chromecast Audio observations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
Leeps said:
Andrewjvt said:
Not read such a good review for ages

Btw out of curiosity, did you try isolation feet under the CCA? Ha

Thanks Andrew, and erm, no. It kind of dangles in free space like an astronaut on a space walk.
Ah, then that's the problem. Mine rests on a sorbothane base. Well, a spongy square piece of black foam that Next used to package some curtain poles. Free with every order! You wouldn't dangle any other streamer from a cable, so put it somewhere suitable!

Hi And sorry to op but are you still enjoying your ATC's As you first did?
Hi Andrew, yes they are brilliant - loving them. They even seem great value when I see what some speakers makers are charging these days, not to mention being made in England!

Samd said:
nopiano said:
Leeps said:
Andrewjvt said:
Not read such a good review for ages

Btw out of curiosity, did you try isolation feet under the CCA? Ha

Thanks Andrew, and erm, no. It kind of dangles in free space like an astronaut on a space walk.
Ah, then that's the problem. Mine rests on a sorbothane base. Well, a spongy square piece of black foam that Next used to package some curtain poles. Free with every order! You wouldn't dangle any other streamer from a cable, so put it somewhere suitable!

I thought that everyone knew that Hillary's Curtain Pole packaging is the working man's sorbothane! What will you be using Next?
*i-m_so_happy*

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Inspired by this review, I've just ordered a DAC to try to improve the sound from my CCA. Like the OP, I find it unsatisfactory when connected directly to the RCA inputs on my amp. Flat and lifeless would be words I'd use to describe the sound. I'm not in a position to spend a lot, so went for a CA DacMagic 100, which seems to be a reasonably well-regarded piece of kit for the money. Here's hoping it turns out to be a worthwhile purchase.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Cass said:
Inspired by this review, I've just ordered a DAC to try to improve the sound from my CCA. Like the OP, I find it unsatisfactory when connected directly to the RCA inputs on my amp. Flat and lifeless would be words I'd use to describe the sound. I'm not in a position to spend a lot, so went for a CA DacMagic 100, which seems to be a reasonably well-regarded piece of kit for the money. Here's hoping it turns out to be a worthwhile purchase.

Let us know how you get on with the DAC.

I think the key is just to compare the Chromecast Audio with different sources in your system. If you don't detect much of a difference, then there's little point in spending more money. But if the difference is significant (as it was in my system) then it's worth using the digital output. Thankfully my AV receiver already had digital inputs, so I didn't have to buy a separate DAC.

But setting aside SQ, the CCA continues to be very reliable. I think it might be possible to squeeze a little more quality out of my system by using a much higher quality streamer's own DAC into my amp's analogue inputs (something like the Cambridge CXN V2), but it would be a significant outlay for only a comparatively tiny step up in SQ, so it isn't going to happen any time soon.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Cass said:

Given the cost of the Dacmagic, I would have thought that spending a little extra on the Yamaha WXC50 might have been worthwhile.

A sizeable upgrade in functionality all round and of course a very compedent dac. Depending a lttle on what exactly you want the unit to do, it should offer a decent upgrade in SQ as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts