Speakers to match with a Hegel

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
You have to decide whether a) it's your ears simply not liking the new reality; b) the Hegel is pants, c) the speakers need changing.

I know what I'd do, but that won't help you. My take FWIW - I auditioned the Naim some years ago, against Arcam and Rokasan K2. I bought the K2 (with some Spendor S5e). I thought the Naim was a rather weedy sounding box if I'm honest, the Arcam slow and ponderous. The only amp/speaker combination that was sibilant to my ears was the Caspian M2/Proac D18, and the Hegel only slightly less so. The bizzare part is that Spendors are hardly known for having a distorted and overly harsh treble. If you can, try it with some other speakers, and then decide. If not, then you know the logical conclusion.

EDIT - rereading your post - a "whistling" sound on vocals is not at all what you would expect. Before you do anything rash, get it checked out.

Thanks.
The dealer claimed I need to run the amp for a month, so that's what I'm going to do, though I'm not very optimistic.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
hybridauth_Twitter_34354971 said:
Putting the Naim back immediately tames the sibilants, they dissolve in a natural manner, without attracting attention. While with the h160 there's a sharp whistle-like sound, mainly with the S's in vocals. Same effect is noticable through the headphone output.

(otherwise the sound is a step up from the 5si in terms of resolution, separation and overall enjoyment, as long as there are no vocals involved)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AofbXQNWE3s

SteveR750

hybridauth_Twitter_34354971 said:
SteveR750 said:
You have to decide whether a) it's your ears simply not liking the new reality; b) the Hegel is pants, c) the speakers need changing.

I know what I'd do, but that won't help you. My take FWIW - I auditioned the Naim some years ago, against Arcam and Rokasan K2. I bought the K2 (with some Spendor S5e). I thought the Naim was a rather weedy sounding box if I'm honest, the Arcam slow and ponderous. The only amp/speaker combination that was sibilant to my ears was the Caspian M2/Proac D18, and the Hegel only slightly less so. The bizzare part is that Spendors are hardly known for having a distorted and overly harsh treble. If you can, try it with some other speakers, and then decide. If not, then you know the logical conclusion.

EDIT - rereading your post - a "whistling" sound on vocals is not at all what you would expect. Before you do anything rash, get it checked out.

Thanks.The dealer claimed I need to run the amp for a month, so that's what I'm going to do, though I'm not very optimistic.

So, what was the outcome?

dogg5306

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I've just received my brand new H160... it is replacing my Roksan K2 and is coupled with some B&W CM9...
The amp isn't broken in yet... but... you can already notice a fantastic control on bass, much more meat to the music...
After a few hours, the K2 is already knocked out! *clapping*

Can't wait to get it fully broken in *dance4*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
dogg5306 said:
I've just received my brand new H160... it is replacing my Roksan K2 and is coupled with some B&W CM9...The amp isn't broken in yet... but... you can already notice a fantastic control on bass, much more meat to the music...After a few hours, the K2 is already knocked out! *clapping*

So it's the Dogg's B*ll*x, then. *biggrin*

dogg5306 said:
I've just received my brand new H160... it is replacing my Roksan K2 and is coupled with some B&W CM9...The amp isn't broken in yet... but... you can already notice a fantastic control on bass, much more meat to the music...After a few hours, the K2 is already knocked out! *clapping*

Hi dogg5306

Funnily enough i just sold a H160 after a demo a couple of hours ago over a K2/Creek cdp to pair with Monitor Audio S6's. The S6's also sounded fantastic with the H160 with superb control throughout the range which the clients loved
regular_smile.gif

Anyway, nice one
thumbs_up.gif
I told you the H160 would work well with your B&W speakers.

Btw, the change will be subtle at the most as the amp settles down.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have experience with both the H160 and H300? I'm in the market for the H300 but had read comments saying that the H160 outperforms the H300. Also the H160 has some extra network connections that will come in handy (DLNA and Airplay). If the H160 indeed outperforms, or even just equals, the H300 then I can save some money going for the H160 as I don't think I'll need the extra wattage of the H300 considering my listening space is quite small. I'll be pushing the curved ATC SCM 11 with it.

SteveR750

CnoEvil said:
dogg5306 said:

So it's the Dogg's B*ll*x, then. *biggrin*

What's it with all these Dog nicknames?

eltee00 said:
Anyone have experience with both the H160 and H300? I'm in the market for the H300 but had read comments saying that the H160 outperforms the H300. Also the H160 has some extra network connections that will come in handy (DLNA and Airplay). If the H160 indeed outperforms, or even just equals, the H300 then I can save some money going for the H160 as I don't think I'll need the extra wattage of the H300 considering my listening space is quite small. I'll be pushing the curved ATC SCM 11 with it.

I don't have the link to hand, but if you search long and hard enough under Hegel H160 you should find it - I'm pretty sure it was more of a blog post than a formal review. I also posed the same question to Hegel when I spoke to them, and they didn't deny it. Make what you will of that.

Back to the OP topic though, and I'm almost exclusively listening to spotify, mosytly new releases. I've discovered more new bands in the last couple of months than I have in the previous two years. I've stopped "critical" listening, whatever that is (was) and frankly forgotten I've got a hi fi system in the house. Source / quality of recording is almost irrelevant, I've just found the more I listen the more it's about how good (or not) the musicians are. As good as the hegel is, it's been the change in speakers that has had by far the more dramatic effect (though possibly it would have been less so with a less capable source).

EDIT - the comments about the H300 are on the Hi-Fi+ review of the H160, here.

SteveR750

eltee00 said:

This might interest you.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Resurecting an old thread here.

SteveR750, you previously owned the Roksan M2 before you Hegel. Is the Hegel a big improvement in sound, and how do the two compare - bass, mid range, treble and clarity ?

Where did you purchase your unit and did you arrange a home demo ? Don't think there are any dealers near me in S. Wales to get to a shop to listen.

SteveR750

stevee1966 said:

SteveR750, you previously owned the Roksan M2 before you Hegel. Is the Hegel a big improvement in sound, and how do the two compare - bass, mid range, treble and clarity ?

Where did you purchase your unit and did you arrange a home demo ? Don't think there are any dealers near me in S. Wales to get to a shop to listen.

Hi Steve, it was a pretty big improvement, but especially in the treble. The M2 got a bit shouty when pushed a bit, and that says with more sensitive speakers too. I wouldn't think of using the Roksan with the ATC speakers, it wouldn't have been a good match. I bought mine from Musicraft, as I also did the rest of my system. Give Rick a call, he is extremely helpful. It's just a much smoother as in less "grainy". Like any amp, it depends what you hang off it. The more demanding the speaker then the bigger the differences between the two amps.

I'm in south Wales too, probably even further away from any shops as I'm in Pembrokeshire. You are more than welcome to come and listen to my system, bring your K2 as well if you want to.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
stevee1966 said:

Hi Steve, it was a pretty big improvement, but especially in the treble. The M2 got a bit shouty when pushed a bit, and that says with more sensitive speakers too. I wouldn't think of using the Roksan with the ATC speakers, it wouldn't have been a good match. I bought mine from Musicraft, as I also did the rest of my system. Give Rick a call, he is extremely helpful. It's just a much smoother as in less "grainy". Like any amp, it depends what you hang off it. The more demanding the speaker then the bigger the differences between the two amps.

I'm in south Wales too, probably even further away from any shops as I'm in Pembrokeshire. You are more than welcome to come and listen to my system, bring your K2 as well if you want to.

Thanks for the reply. Did you go to Musicraft for your demo or can they arrange a listen at home ?

I currently use a Roksan Caspian M2, not the K2, which is paired with the Roksan cd player and B+W CM10 S2 speakers.

Currently living in Llanelli so only an hour away - used to live closer though in Sageston.

SteveR750

stevee1966 said:
SteveR750 said:
stevee1966 said:

Thanks for the reply. Did you go to Musicraft for your demo or can they arrange a listen at home ?

I currently use a Roksan Caspian M2, not the K2, which is paired with the Roksan cd player and B+W CM10 S2 speakers.

Currently living in Llanelli so only an hour away - used to live closer though in Sageston.

Yes sorry about the k2 typo. I had mine on home demo, hence the suggestion to call Rick. Let me know if you want to compare it to your amp, I'm home all of next week except Wednesday.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
dogg5306 said:
I've just received my brand new H160... it is replacing my Roksan K2 and is coupled with some B&W CM9...The amp isn't broken in yet... but... you can already notice a fantastic control on bass, much more meat to the music...After a few hours, the K2 is already knocked out! *clapping*

Can't wait to get it fully broken in *dance4*

So after a few months of use what is your opinion on the Hegel matched with B&W cm speakers.
I'm considering the Hegel myself to match with my B&W CM10 S2's.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
So many praising the Hegel i am very tempted and considering a purchase. However Musicraft seems the only option and with me living in S.Wales it's not exactly easy to get a demo.

Rick. Is a home demo possible, and do you think the combination of Hegel 160 and B&W CM10's would work ?
Also would the combination be a big step up compared to my current Roksan M2 and B&W setup ?

Cheers for any info.

SteveR750

stevee1966 said:
So many praising the Hegel i am very tempted and considering a purchase. However Musicraft seems the only option and with me living in S.Wales it's not exactly easy to get a demo.

Rick. Is a home demo possible, and do you think the combination of Hegel 160 and B&W CM10's would work ?
Also would the combination be a big step up compared to my current Roksan M2 and B&W setup ?

Cheers for any info.
Steve,

How about I bring my amp to you?

If it helps (it won't your wallet) how about you bring your speakers to mine to compare to the ATC? All basses (sorry) covered?

Hi stevee1966

I tried to post the following last night but couldn't do so -
I appreciate you asking me and I am more than happy to help you however please also consider the offer from SteveR which I feel is very fair. If you can't move forward with it then please contact me regarding auditioning a H160. Btw, my comments in this thread to member dogg5306 and his views on the match between the Hegel/B&W pairing should give you a very good idea of what to also expect. All the best Rick.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi stevee1966

I tried to post the following last night but couldn't do so -

I appreciate you asking me and I am more than happy to help you however please also consider the offer from SteveR which I feel is very fair. If you can't move forward with it then please contact me regarding auditioning a H160.

Btw, my comments in this thread to member dogg5306 and his views on the match between the Hegel/B&W pairing should give you a very good idea of what to also expect.

All the best

Rick.
+1

Having heard the pairing just last week i agree. You will love it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts