Canton Ergo 670dc vs KEF Q700 vs MA RX6

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
deanhartley:

Hi, You can find technical info on the RX6 at: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rx6/technology

However, if you need any help advice or synergy information then please send me a message and I will be glad to assist

Regards,

Hi dean, I have one question, my room measures 5m x 6m and I have my main speakers 20 inch away from the rear wall and 40 inch from the side walls but any closer and the bass just cancels out, so which speaker would be best the RX6 or RX8.

Thanks!

Mike.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
007L2Thrill:deanhartley:

Hi, You can find technical info on the RX6 at: http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/products/silver-rx/rx6/technology

However, if you need any help advice or synergy information then please send me a message and I will be glad to assist

Regards,

Hi dean, I have one question, my room measures 5m x 6m and I have my main speakers 20 inch away from the rear wall and 40 inch from the side walls but any closer and the bass just cancels out, so which speaker would be best the RX6 or RX8.

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

If you have a room problem, changing the speaker will not sort out the problem. It's a tricky one to solve because normally it's not easy to swap the speaker position. ie firing the shortest length, rather than longest length (vice-versa). Also, room tuning methods for low frequencies are not practical in domestic installs and generally expensive (Such as tube-traps). It also depends on the construction materials of the room. So, without performing an individual acoustic review of the room, it's extremely difficult to provide a solution to your problem.

I used to have a probem with a room when firing along the longest length. In a similar situation, where the bass would cancel in the listening position. Around 3M from the speakers. I had to resort to swapping the postion of the speakers to fire along the shortest length, which solved the problem. You may find that moving your seating position back by only 1M gives a huge boost in bass. This is more likely that the listening position is at a null spot.

Sorry, I can't be much more help here. I wouldn't want to recommend a speaker for the sake of it, when you will probably encounter the same problem.

Regards,

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
deanhartley:007L2Thrill:deanhartley:

Regards,

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

If you have a room problem, changing the speaker will not sort out the problem. It's a tricky one to solve because normally it's not easy to swap the speaker position. ie firing the shortest length, rather than longest length (vice-versa). Also, room tuning methods for low frequencies are not practical in domestic installs and generally expensive (Such as tube-traps). It also depends on the construction materials of the room. So, without performing an individual acoustic review of the room, it's extremely difficult to provide a solution to your problem.

I used to have a probem with a room when firing along the longest length. In a similar situation, where the bass would cancel in the listening position. Around 3M from the speakers. I had to resort to swapping the postion of the speakers to fire along the shortest length, which solved the problem. You may find that moving your seating position back by only 1M gives a huge boost in bass. This is more likely that the listening position is at a null spot.

Sorry, I can't be much more help here. I wouldn't want to recommend a speaker for the sake of it, when you will probably encounter the same problem.

Regards,

Thanks dean!
emotion-21.gif
There is a problem in my room which firing the speaker's different ways in the room still as the same effect which is strange? But seems to originate from the left side of the fire place and because one of the speakers as to sit by the fireplace in any way I fire the speakers, so I will have to live with it.

Good thing is I have reduced it by moving the speakers from the back wall by 20" and side wall 40" and I sit around 3M away from the speakers which gives a rich warm soundstage with minimum cancellation in the bass.

I have a pair of Tannoy Sensys 2 speakers and they have 2X 7" bass drivers and rear reflex and the bass off these speakers are just ok but would like a bit more deep bass that's why I thought I would ask which one would be the best RX6 or RX8, as I was thinking my room size would be too small for the RX8's.

The only speaker to produce bass in my room that was earth shaking was a pair of mission 783 with there side firing bass units but there smaller brothers the 782 was just to weak in the bass.

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
007L2Thrill:deanhartley:007L2Thrill:deanhartley:

Regards,

Thanks!

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Thanks dean!
emotion-21.gif
There is a problem in my room which firing the speaker's different ways in the room still as the same effect which is strange? But seems to originate from the left side of the fire place and because one of the speakers as to sit by the fireplace in any way I fire the speakers, so I will have to live with it.

Good thing is I have reduced it by moving the speakers from the back wall by 20" and side wall 40" and I sit around 3M away from the speakers which gives a rich warm soundstage with minimum cancellation in the bass.

I have a pair of Tannoy Sensys 2 speakers and they have 2X 7" bass drivers and rear reflex and the bass off these speakers are just ok but would like a bit more deep bass that's why I thought I would ask which one would be the best RX6 or RX8, as I was thinking my room size would be too small for the RX8's.

The only speaker to produce bass in my room that was earth shaking was a pair of mission 783 with there side firing bass units but there smaller brothers the 782 was just to weak in the bass.

Hi Mike,

It's still a tricky one as I don't really know the properties of your room. I'd try to get a demo in your home before considering to buy anything. A good dealer should loan you a pair for a few days. You may find a great price on a pair of Gold GS20, as the GS is about to be replaced. That's a great speaker and if you can get it for a similar price to the RX8, then that would be my choice

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
deanhartley:Hi Mike,

It's still a tricky one as I don't really know the properties of your room. I'd try to get a demo in your home before considering to buy anything. A good dealer should loan you a pair for a few days. You may find a great price on a pair of Gold GS20, as the GS is about to be replaced. That's a great speaker and if you can get it for a similar price to the RX8, then that would be my choice

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Hi Dean

Thanks for your replies and I will do as you suggested.
emotion-21.gif

All the best.

Mike.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
For listening to Classical music B & W CM8's are the best for size & price. I heard a comparison against KEF Q700 the latter were very edgy on strings . The larger Q900 have the same distortion on strings as mentioned in April HFN review of the larger KEF's which only achieve a low 70% sound rating.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
High Fidelity

All speakers sound tonally different. Some will have a little more HF, some less. Some people like a smooth, easy going treble, some prefer it to be sharper and more piercing. One speaker may have 'edgy strings' to one person, but to another, it may be exactly what they're looking for. If we all liked the same things, there would be far less speaker brands in the world, and that really would be boring. After extensive listening,, I find strings, cymbals, and snare drums a strong point of the Q900's.

Some people find Monitor Audio bright and edgy, some find B&W bright and edgy, hell, some even find Spendor bright and edgy! HFN.s 70% rating is one persons opinion. My opinion would be closer to 90%. There, now you have another rating, you can go and post that on numerous forums and rave about how good they are. Even though you haven't heard them.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
For listening to Classical music the B & W CM8's are far superior to the KEF Q700 , I found the strings on the Q700 to be very edgy exactly as descibed in the April HFN review of the larger Q900 which only achieved a low 70% sound rating.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
Frank Harvey, David I have heard most of the current well known brand of speakers, I am only interested in musically accurate speakers. I have attended many BBC Live v recorded sound not available to the general public . My own transmission line speakers were custom built for me by an speaker designer & audio consultant, many years ago and as I am now mainly into MCH SACD I am trying out the B & W CM8 with a PV-1 sub-woofer but due to demand can not get the B W 's in the colour I require until the end of this month. However I was very impressed with two shop demos of the CM8's.. I do have a KEF XQ50 centre channel speaker and find it very good.. Hi-Fi has been a lifetime Hobby & I retired some time ago.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
highfidelity:For listening to Classical music the B & W CM8's are far superior to the KEF Q700 , I found the strings on the Q700 to be very edgy exactly as descibed in the April HFN review of the larger Q900 which only achieved a low 70% sound rating.

I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that you've never heard any of these speakers as all you seem able to do is parrot the same comments you've read in another review somewhere else, you have nothing to add to any discussion on this topic and frankly you're getting very tedious now.

highfidelity

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I heard the KEF Q900's some time ago and was interested to read the HFN review which mirrors the sound I heard on the Q700's when I compared them to the B & W . CM8's People always complain when their pride & joy is commented upon adversly. You would have lost money with your bet.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
highfidelity:I heard the KEF Q900's some time ago and was interested to read the HFN review which mirrors the sound I heard on the Q700's when I compared them to the B & W . CM8's People always complain when their pride & joy is commented upon adversly. You would have lost money with your bet.

Well you seem to have very little in the way of opinion to add to what you've read elsewhere and just repeating the same thing over and over again makes you look like you haven't actually formed your own opinion of the speakers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
highfidelity:Frank Harvey Why does What Hi-Fi ? give you so much FREE advertising in these Forums ?

For the same reason they allow any dealer to post here, provided they're fully identified as being in the trade. Don't change the subject.

TRENDING THREADS