Cable Directionality - do you want proof

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
wow it worked...wasn't sure if this place 'did' animated GIFs....

Yeah, but if people could just bring themselves to click on the link - and spend 5 minutes in there (not an hour) - there's lots more stuff to learn and it's very easy to understand and well presented.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
To RadioFrog

"because of my beliefs I hadn't listened to the video" - why would you not watch a video because of a preconception? Its a hifi video, its a video on your hobby

That a bit stubborn you must admit - but fair play for admitting it. Probably nothing Gained but certainly nothing lost

I haven't watched the video because it's meaningless. The sound may well change on the film but there are several possible factors which could be the cause of any change in sound which makes the whole exercise pointless.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
I waited a good part of the evening waiting for such a response....

Just bare with me a moment while I put on my internet kung fu fighting pants.....hmmm, they feel tight.

This being an area that's not had much cover on this site.

So Steve_1979, you're not familiar with the difference between modulated D/C (what you'll get from your amp and causes the speaker to move) and an A/C electrical signal? - Usually seen coming in off your mains supply.

It's easy to confuse the two but different they are.

The PCB's in your amps innards are fed D/C hence the use of capacitors.what's amplified and outputted is not A/C.

I'm actually going to sit and wait for you fake boffins to go read up on this and see what you come back with.

You're actually trying to argue that an audio amplifier outputs DC.

Wow!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ellisdj said:
To RadioFrog

"because of my beliefs I hadn't listened to the video" - why would you not watch a video because of a preconception? Its a hifi video, its a video on your hobby

That a bit stubborn you must admit - but fair play for admitting it. Probably nothing Gained but certainly nothing lost

I haven't watched the video because it's meaningless. The sound may well change on the film but there are several possible factors which could be the cause of any change in sound which makes the whole exercise pointless.
#

This is a demo at the industries biggest event infront of the industies top players by a major manufacturer what do you think they would do? Honestly its just plain silly to have that atttude , You wont watch it out of spite - its up to you.

Its an excellent presentaiton with several good demonstrations.

I remember when Panasonic put a Kuro next to their VT65 and ZT65 and said look at how these compare / how much better they basdically.

I was convinced they was using trickery to down calibrate the kuro to make the VT and ZT look better - what a muppet I was for thinking that.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
steve_1979 said:
ellisdj said:
To RadioFrog

#

This is a demo at the industries biggest event infront of the industies top players by a major manufacturer what do you think they would do? Honestly its just plain silly to have that atttude , You wont watch it out of spite - its up to you.

As I said, there are several possible reasons which could account for there being a change in the audio in that video. It being a deliberate hoax is just one of those possible reasons. As there is no way of knowing which of the several possible reasons account for the change in audio it's a pointless exercise in watching it. It is in no way 'proof'. It's not even what I'd credible evidence.

Apart from that I have no interest in watching a 45 minute speaker cable advert which is suggesting that the current accepted laws of physics are wrong.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is no reference in the whole video to any specific cable in any way. It's not about cables

The reason the sound changes is because it changes the video is filmed by a German guy who is not related either.

These types of videos will get more and more frequent it's inevitable and it's great because I couldn't go to the Munich high end show but still get a sneak peak of what was there.

Even the cut video at the end you can hear the difference between the niagra and no niagra in use. It's a video about that product and just highlights a few things on the way.

Don't worry if it's below you - that's how your comments read

abacus

1. Copy the 1st and 2nd audio sounds from the video. (The before and after audio)

2. Use Audiodiffmaker to see if there is a difference

3. There will be no ambiguities, perception Bias or arguments, just cold hard facts

I realise many on this thread will say there is something wrong with the test when they find there is no difference, (As they genuinely believed they heard a difference) but facts are facts. (Some may not like it, but that’s life)

Bill

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:

Recently I suggested this in a similar context over on the PFM audio forum. According to one of the bods over there, the time alignment in Audiodiffmaker doesn't work, so the whole tool is next to useless. (BTW this guy is an experienced electronic engineer and an "objectivist", and it's certainly not in his interests to diss Audiodiffmaker.)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There is no reference in the whole video to any specific cable in any way. It's not about cables

The reason the sound changes is because it changes the video is filmed by a German guy who is not related either.

These types of videos will get more and more frequent it's inevitable and it's great because I couldn't go to the Munich high end show but still get a sneak peak of what was there.

Even the cut video at the end you can hear the difference between the niagra and no niagra in use. It's a video about that product and just highlights a few things on the way.

OK I've just watched a few little bits of it and as expected it's just some guy waffling on about your usual audiophool pseudoscience rubbish.

As for the trumpet bit they both sound the same on my tablet. I didn't bother using my headphones because as I said before, even if I do hear a difference it would be meaningless as there are several different factors which could be causing the difference.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
My old company used to hold office parties for staff and clients and we brought in entertainers to enliven them. We had some great impersonators, including a Patsi and a Del-Boy, who would have great conversations in character. We also had a magician and he did great tricks. He performed one on me where he had me draw a playing card at random from a pack, I recall it was the 5 of Hearts, and then had me take my wallet out of my pocket where, lo and behold, there was a folded playing card in one of the compartments, again the 5 of Hearts. I watched him very carefully, as did those around me, and nobody saw him do anything suspicious. It was a great trick and I've no idea how he did it (well I do have thoughts) but at no point then or since have I thought that it was actually magic! Human perceptions are very easily fooled!

Chris

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I didn't watch it all because it was turgid 'carp' (and a whole hour of it).

The outcome was entirely predictable. (He was never going to conclude by saying ... "sorry that was terrible, looks like the guys back home will have to think this through again")

I switched off when he invoked NASA research to support his spiel.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
But look at it this way guys. If somewhere among these ten pages of **** we've managed to teach Thompsonuxb how speakers work, something good has come of it [/unusually positive]

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
abacus said:

Recently I suggested this in a similar context over on the PFM audio forum. According to one of the bods over there, the time alignment in Audiodiffmaker doesn't work, so the whole tool is next to useless. (BTW this guy is an experienced electronic engineer and an "objectivist", and it's certainly not in his interests to diss Audiodiffmaker.)

If that is the case why often is there no sound then?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ellisdj said:

OK I've just watched a few little bits of it and as expected it's just some guy waffling on about your usual audiophool pseudoscience rubbish.

As for the trumpet bit they both sound the same on my tablet. I didn't bother using my headphones because as I said before, even if I do hear a difference it would be meaningless as there are several different factors which could be causing the difference.

Your stubbornness being the main one. I said I have been listening on a good sound card and average headphones and a phone or tablet speaker is not good enough to test it

Just because he is not using avi actives you don't give him the time of day - again up to you.

I do have an apology for the major I have his cold now and I can't hear anything properly

Sorry !

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
matt49 said:
abacus said:

Do you mean why is no sound audible, or why is there no sound? If the latter, I'm not confident the premise is correct. In either case, I can't answer the question, I'm afraid.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
BigH said:
matt49 said:
abacus said:

Do you mean why is no sound audible, or why is there no sound? If the latter, I'm not confident the premise is correct. In either case, I can't answer the question, I'm afraid.

I'm saying if the timing is out, why is there no difference, as you play it back and if there is nothing then they have cancelled each other out. Does not make sense to me.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Your stubbornness being the main one. I said I have been listening on a good sound card and average headphones and a phone or tablet speaker is not good enough to test it

Just because he is not using avi actives you don't give him the time of day - again up to you.

You are completely missing the point of what I'm saying. I'm NOT saying that a difference cannot be heard. It may well be possible to hear a difference in that video.

What I'm saying is that even if I did hear a difference, that difference could be caused by one of many other factors such as variable YouTube sound quality, movement or other variations of the camrea/mic used, expectation bias or it being a deliberate hoax are just a few possible examples. Having all these unknown variables makes the whole thing a totally pointless exercise and even if a difference is heard it would be meaningless to draw any conclusions from it. This is the reason why I didn't bother to use my O2 DAC and Sennheiser HD700 headphones to listen to it with.

p.s. What does AVI have to do with anything? He has no credibility becasue he's talking rubbish not because of what speakers he's using (although the stupidly thick speaker cables make him look like an idiot before he even opened his mouth).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did try watching that video, thanks for getting the times all wrong so I had to watch even more of it, how anyone can sit through 40 odd minutes of that is beyond me. As for he is not promoting anything, really, are you watching the same video?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
He is hard selling the niagra I have said that numerous times

There is not 1 mention of any audioquest cables in the whole video that is what I have said also

The video stays constant through the demos - there is no trickery you can tell as the volumes are identical.

The sound changes because the sound changes and it's not a small difference in the second test

Sorry if the times are wrong I did it that to help clarify the various demos in the video. They can't be that far off.

How grumpy to complain about that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts