Bluray

bodidly

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi All,

This is the 3rd time i have tried to post this now, anyway, i was wanting to know which is the newest and best between the Panasonic DMP BD 50 & 55 and how they compare against the Sony BDP S550.

Thanks

nads

Panna BD 50 is old. the DB 55 is newer but has recently been discontinued.
emotion-5.gif

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
The BD50 was superceded by the BD55 (IIRC) and it is now being discontinued. There is a round up of the current players in this month's mag. Personally I would hold off until we see what the next gen of players are like unless you can get them at a bargain price. There is no discernable difference in pic quality from the BD35 to the BD55 from what I can gather, so the extra outlay is for better audio components and analogue audio out.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
bodidly:Ok thanks for that, is there a reason why the 55 has been discontinued.

BD is still a relatively new technology that was rushed to market to compete with HDDVD. The specs for HDDVD were pretty much final and although the first players had a few bugs, most were addressed with firmware updates (seems to be the modern way!). Bluray on the other hand was released way behind the final specs. If you look at most of the current players, they're profile 1.1 and some can be updated by firmware (usually ethernet, although some may be upgradable by disc, I'm not sure) to profile 2.0. Some still don't decode all audio formats with promises of upgraded firmware in a few months. It's a bit of a mess really, which makes me glad I got in on the ground with the PS3 which has been upgradable from the start both in terms of audio decoding, added functionality and profile upgrades. The BD55 has simply been superceded by a newer model. Hopefully the technology will settle down (and prices of discs will drop. Hint, hint) and we will have a good selection of players that all do what they're supposed to do.

Keep an eye on CES to see what future players bring.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
nads:they launched new players at CES last week. the DB60.

Hi,

That'll be the new 'Bond Edition' from Aston Martin then? 0 - 'Gone In 60 Seconds'....

Cheers,

Cofnchtr

nads

Cofnchtr:nads:they launched new players at CES last week. the DB60. Hi, That'll be the new 'Bond Edition' from Aston Martin then? 0 - 'Gone In 60 Seconds'.... Cheers, Cofnchtr he he

BD60
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts