Auralic Vesa & Dega??

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi

Sorry to start another thread but interested to hear from anyone who has heard or indeed owns this gear.

I am looking to upgarde my source with a new network player, and thinking about a Linn Akurate DS and the above.

They are new to the UK i think but looking at reviews etc its very well thought of.

Any input appreciated.

audylubis

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Maybe you mean Auralic Vega (DAC) and Auralic Aries (Streamer)? There is a dedicated thread for Auralic Aries on the http://www.computeraudiophile.com/ forum.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes thats the ones. My typing can sometimes be erratic. I have read loads about them on forums etc I was just wondering if anyone had any experience of them.

Thanks

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone at all have any views on them. I think this is why I am a little concerened. Fairly new product and maybe a gamble.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
Anyone at all have any views on them. I think this is why I am a little concerened. Fairly new product and maybe a gamble.

My guess, having read the reviews, is that the Linn may give a slightly more "analogue" presentation, whlle the Auralic could be a very clean, detail driven one.

You will probably know if it's worth pursuing after hearing the Linn.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

My guess, having read the reviews, is that the Linn may give a slightly more "analogue" presentation, whlle the Auralic could be a very clean, detail driven one.

You will probably know if it's worth pursuing after hearing the Linn.

Hello again Cno, I heard the Linn this morning in one of their systems and tbh was not that impressed. It def did some tjings better than my system. I do need to hear it at home in my system. To be fair the lad in the shop went out of his way to help me as I called in off spec as I had a spare hour.

I love clarity and detail, so maybe the Auralic would suit me more. Linn on the other hand have 5o years experinence and i would have a local dealer to deal with.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
Hello again Cno, I heard the Linn this morning in one of their systems and tbh was not that impressed. It def did some tjings better than my system. I do need to hear it at home in my system. To be fair the lad in the shop went out of his way to help me as I called in off spec as I had a spare hour.

I love clarity and detail, so maybe the Auralic would suit me more. Linn on the other hand have 5o years experinence and i would have a local dealer to deal with.

Yes, not least because you'd want to compare it directly with your MF CLIC and assess whether it's worth the extra expense. (And if you were able to do a blind test at home, that'd be even better.)

I have a left-field suggestion for you. For the cost of a Linn Akurate DS you could buy a Devialet 120. This includes streaming, a DAC, and an integrated amp. (So you could sell your MF amp and actually be better off than if you'd bought the Linn.) The Devialet has several advantages:

1. it's a single integrated package that's designed from the ground up to work as one unit.

2. its software and firmware is upgraded twice a year with new functions: next on the list (so rumour has it) is integrated room equalization.

3. the Devialet SAM ("speaker active matching") DSP programme is available at no extra cost for your PMC 23s. This is clever technology and according to most reports it works very well. (It's excellent with my Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms.) One thing it does is extend the bass response of your speakers: for the PMC 23s it will take the bass response down from 42Hz to 23.4Hz. It's also adjustable: don't like it? You can turn the SAM effect down or switch it off entirely with one click of the remote.

My hunch is that a Devialet 120 with SAM will bring you a much bigger improvement in SQ than adding a Linn Akurate DS to your system, and for less money.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Some great posts thank you. The Devialet one is certainly interesting, but I am very reluctant to give up my Musical fidelity - PMC combination as I am sure thats what gives me my punchy sound and excellent bass. I feel my set up gives me loads of detail too. My criticism is it can sound a little too harsh at times ......hard to describe., but maybe I have to live with that to keep the detail and clarity.

I think it might be too big of a change for me to get my head round, and right now it is spinning with possible combinations.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
I'd take the Auralic Vega/Aries combo over the Akurate DS for detail and insight. The Linn is well overpriced IMHO.

Trouble with this is I cant demo it with my kit. The reviews in Hi Fi News are certainly very very good.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:
Some great posts thank you. The Devialet one is certainly interesting, but I am very reluctant to give up my Musical fidelity - PMC combination as I am sure thats what gives me my punchy sound and excellent bass. I feel my set up gives me loads of detail too. My criticism is it can sound a little too harsh at times ......hard to describe., but maybe I have to live with that to keep the detail and clarity.

I think it might be too big of a change for me to get my head round, and right now it is spinning with possible combinations.

Well a demo wouldn't hurt, would it? Or would it?*diablo*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Womaz said:

Well a demo wouldn't hurt, would it? Or would it?*diablo*

Up in the NE so it may not hurt but its not practical. *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:

I'm not a fan of Linn systems (amps/speakers), so I'm glad you are planning to hear it at home....if it doesn't make a big impression, look elsewhere....and I think the Devialet could be an interesting place to turn your gaze.

FWIW. You should get clarity and detail with the ADS/1 but without any edgyness.

Can you describe what it was about the Linn system that left you wanting?......with me, it's that I find them uninvolving and leave me cold, as I just don't get drawn into the music. I find Linn speakers a bit "meh".

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Cno

I found it totally lacking in bass for a start. Also with my system at home I feel it fills the whole room and If I shut my eyes then I would not know where the speakers were, if that makes sense. The Linn system today I knew the sound was coming from the speakers.

I just found it a bit dull and flat. Maybe its the MF and PMC combination that gives me what I like. I think I will demo it at home, although there are a few issues around that too. Will have to wait and see. Over the last few years I have realised just how personal prefernces make such a big difference, we all like different things. The Linn system today was just not for me, but the ADS with my amp and speakers could be a totally different proposition. The dealer also put himself out the way for me today as I called in unexpectedly.

Auralic combination interests me but would not be able to demo....after today that terrifies me.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

I'm not a fan of Linn systems (amps/speakers), so I'm glad you are planning to hear it at home....if it doesn't make a big impression, look elsewhere....and I think the Devialet could be an interesting place to turn your gaze.

FWIW. You should get clarity and detail with the ADS/1 but without any edgyness.

Can you describe what it was about the Linn system that left you wanting?......with me, it's that I find them uninvolving and leave me cold, as I just don't get drawn into the music. I find Linn speakers a bit "meh".

I am begiining to think I might like edgyness *dash1*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:

I disagree.

It's about system balance. There is nothing edgy about MF stuff, especially the M6i....and to stop the whole thing being a bit "safe" sounding, you have chosen PMC 23. On the end of the wrong system, the 23s can sound a bit lean (for some tastes)...but not on the end of a M6i.

The acid test will be on the front your system....which is quite different sounding to Linn.

My description vs your description of a Linn system, is not miles appart - Dull and flat = uninvolving and "meh".

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

I disagree.

It's about system balance. There is nothing edgy about MF stuff, especially the M6i....and to stop the whole thing being a bit "safe" sounding, you have chosen PMC 23. On the end of the wrong system, the 23s can sound a bit lean (for some tastes)...but not on the end of a M6i.

The acid test will be on the front your system....which is quite different sounding to Linn.

My description vs your description of a Linn system, is not miles appart - Dull and flat = uninvolving and "meh".

so you think it will sound better with my Amp and speakers. ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:

I think it will sound quite different and more to your taste...whether it will sound £4500 worth of different is another matter.

Your amp is a big powerful Class AB and your speakers are TL from a company that has its roots in professional monitoring. Linn's amps are their own version of Class D and their speakers are not particularly neutral (and don't measure that well IIRC)....chalk and cheese.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

I think it will sound quite different and more to your taste...whether it will sound £4500 worth of different is another matter.

Your amp is a big powerful Class AB and your speakers are TL from a company that has its roots in professional monitoring. Linn's amps are their own version of Class D and their speakers are not particularly neutral (and don't measure that well IIRC)....chalk and cheese.

I am trying not to think " is it worth £4500" If I do that I wont get anywhere *biggrin*

I know where you are coming from though. They shift a lot of units Linn, so they must be doing something right. Like i say I think music is so personal, and we all like a different sound.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:

Don't think you can get away that easily! There are Devialet dealers in Leeds and Edinburgh. According to the Devialet website and the UK importer Absolute Sounds, there's also a dealer in Stockton-on-Tees (though this info may be out of date).

What you say about the bass in your current system does tally with the traditional view of Musical Fidelity amps, i.e. that they have a slight "smile" FR curve. (I'm not saying this is my view; it's just something you often hear from folk who profess to know.) You could equally well achieve this with a Devialet, as it has user-configurable digital tone controls. Basically, any FR curve you like can be done very simply.

I spent some time with an MF AMS35i on home demo, and I've heard it at my local dealer's in W London a couple of times. I wouldn't demur from Cno's opinion of the AMS35i. But I chose the Devialet instead. In addition to the talents I've already mentioned, it looks beautiful, it confers huge pride of ownership (if that matters to you), and it has a remote control to die for.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Womaz said:

Don't think you can get away that easily! There are Devialet dealers in Leeds and Edinburgh. According to the Devialet website and the UK importer Absolute Sounds, there's also a dealer in Stockton-on-Tees (though this info may be out of date).

What you say about the bass in your current system does tally with the traditional view of Musical Fidelity amps, i.e. that they have a slight "smile" FR curve. (I'm not saying this is my view; it's just something you often hear from folk who profess to know.) You could equally well achieve this with a Devialet, as it has user-configurable digital tone controls. Basically, any FR curve you like can be done very simply.

I spent some time with an MF AMS35i on home demo, and I've heard it at my local dealer's in W London a couple of times. I wouldn't demur from Cno's opinion of the AMS35i. But I chose the Devialet instead. In addition to the talents I've already mentioned, it looks beautiful, it confers huge pride of ownership (if that matters to you), and it has a remote control to die for.

I agree its a beautiful piece of kit. I also appreciate you taking the time out to post, but not sure how I will be able to home demo if the shops are over 100 miles away *mail1*

After this morning it is essentail i hear the equipment with my kit.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
As i love the sound I get I though that with a few quid to throw at it I might be able to improve it. Also I have always felt it was the MF-PMC combination that I like - like its that combination which gives the bass and punchy feel. Thats why I thought the source woukd be the best to replace.

The CLIC is a decent little network player ( actually maybe it is much better than I ever thought ) I just thought for the cash i have I would get an improvement. Its strange this hifi lark Today I found a review of my CLIC from Hifi News which tends to focus on high end stuff, and it raved about it.

There is a part of me now thinking.......hey I might just leave things as they are, but i have already pulled my money out for use *biggrin*

What would be the source with the Devialet combination you suggest? I am a little confused......keep the CLIC?

I really feel that the CLIC is my weakest link

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I am trying not to think " is it worth £4500" If I do that I wont get anywhere *biggrin*

I know where you are coming from though. They shift a lot of units Linn, so they must be doing something right. Like i say I think music is so personal, and we all like a different sound.

I know you are talking a bit "tongue in cheek", but....

- You have to think about the £4500 ie. how does it stack up against its peers....eg. with your current system, the MDS might be a better vfm fit. A better amp in the future would change that dynamic.....worth thinking about.....or using the saving from a MDS to put towards a better amp. I'm still thrilled with MDS -> AMS35i -> Kef Ref, which I would rather have than ADS -> M6i -> Refs.

- You are right in saying that music is "so personal", which means that what I prefer and the amount of units Linn sell (while comforting), is by and large irrelevent.

- You don't need telling, but I will say it anyway as it's so important...the more you are going to spend, the more important it is to get it right and the more alternatves you need to try (like Devialet).

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

I know you are talking a bit "tongue in cheek", but....

- You have to think about the £4500 ie. how does it stack up against its peers....eg. with your current system, the MDS might be a better vfm fit. A better amp in the future would change that dynamic.....worth thinking about.....or using the saving from a MDS to put towards a better amp. I'm still thrilled with MDS -> AMS35i -> Kef Ref, which I would rather have than ADS -> M6i -> Refs.

- You are right in saying that music is "so personal", which means that what I prefer and the amount of units Linn sell (while comforting), is by and large irrelevent.

- You don't need telling, but I will say it anyway as it's so important...the more you are going to spend, the more important it is to get it right and the more alternatves you need to try (like Devialet).

Again you rasie some good points. The Devialet is beautiful kit.....would it have the oomph I get?

I think its also got to the stage that I have baffled myself with all the possible combinations. Today I thought about adding a MF6DAC ( maybe not a surprise ) and then a different straemer.

I think i need to narrow it down as back to work now and the time is more limited than it was last week. That is why I value these forums so much....................BUT NOTHING QUITE LIKE A DEMO *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yup, one thing at a time....start by assessing an ADS and possibly a MDS at home and take it from there...there is no hurry.

I will let others talk about the oomph of the Devialet.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes thats all I can do. I have a feeling the Aulraic combination is a non starter as wont be able to audition it at home. Same for the Devialet even if I was to go down that route.

Home audition is a must for me as I have a feeling my room helps with the sound I like. Like filling the room and good punchy bass. Its a smallish room about 15ft x 23ft with laminate flooring. I remember moving house once into a new build. there was nothing else in the room at all and I decided to get my hifi up and running. I loved the sound in that sparse empty room. Maybe thats the trick, sell all of my furniture ........generate more funds *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts