Auralic Vesa & Dega??

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:
matt49 said:
DocG said:
I know of only one: the Hypex NCore modules, as used in NAD's newish M22 power amp. Also available for DIY, like Esra posted about recently; planning to use them myself in the not-too-distant future. The NC400 has a DF of 11.000.

Of course, you only buy (the bits to build) a power amp here, not a smart-looking, upgradeable, DSP-controlled, integrated DAC-amp with a gorgeous remote...

Interesting. Is this what you're getting for your Maggies?

Yes, it is! The Maggies are on their way, and so is a first set of 1 PSU + 2 amp modules. Will cross everything over with a DEQX (probably the HDP-4).

So basically a DSP for room/speaker treatment + XO, that I never tried, steering 4 channels of amplification I never demoed, driving a pair of speakers I never heard... It'll be stunning! What could possibly go wrong? *biggrin*

Yeah, why make life boring by demoing stuff?

Actually I think you're on pretty safe ground. Magnepan + Hypex is a tried and tested combo. My only worry would be that once you've had the Maggies for a while you'll feel the urge to trade up to something bigger. *bomb*

Since I'll have the speakers reframed (Solid wood frames, matching the furniture! My architect loves the idea!), ditching their cross-overs and building the amps into the frame, that's not so likely to happen. More so because the bigger Maggies are too tall, esthaetically speaking (it's for the living room - I have no man cave). And Martin Logans too btw. Adding a sub (or two) would be a more realistic scenario...

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:
Oh well a disappointment today. The Linn dealer wants £4500 up front for me to demo it in my home. Shocked and disappointed.

I think the lad who is , or was helping me has his hands tied. Its company policy. Never come across this before.

I guess this gives me more time to think. Catch 22. I want to hear Linn in my system, but not on those terms.

That's a bummer, Womaz! Any other Linn-dealers in the wide surroundings?

Would you consider moving house to London? Everything seems to be readily available there!*mosking*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Womaz said:
Oh well a disappointment today. The Linn dealer wants £4500 up front for me to demo it in my home. Shocked and disappointed.

I think the lad who is , or was helping me has his hands tied. Its company policy. Never come across this before.

I guess this gives me more time to think. Catch 22. I want to hear Linn in my system, but not on those terms.

That's a bummer, Womaz! Any other Linn-dealers in the wide surroundings?

Would you consider moving house to London? Everything seems to be readily available there!*mosking*

I think there is one in Leeds, not sure, but a local dealer is what I would want if going down the Linn route.

Move to London??? NEVER. I am a fiercely proud Geordie, born and bred. *biggrin*

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Since I'll have the speakers reframed (Solid wood frames, matching the furniture! My architect loves the idea!), ditching their cross-overs and building the amps into the frame, that's not so likely to happen. More so because the bigger Maggies are too tall, esthaetically speaking (it's for the living room - I have no man cave). And Martin Logans too btw. Adding a sub (or two) would be a more realistic scenario...

Ah, I see. It's all fitting into place now. You're living in a house with extremely low ceilings (designed by a vertically challenged architect?) So you've bought small Maggies that you haven't heard. You're going to mod them so that they'll be unsellable, by building in amps you haven't heard either.

thats exactly what I'd have done too.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
matt49 said:
DocG said:

Ah, I see. It's all fitting into place now. You're living in a house with extremely low ceilings (designed by a vertically challenged architect?) So you've bought small Maggies that you haven't heard. You're going to mod them so that they'll be unsellable, by building in amps you haven't heard either.

thats exactly what I'd have done too.

Yes, zackly! A powerful vaccin for upgraditis, that's what it is! As for the speakers being too tall, that's too complicated to put into words; I'll post some pics when all is done (I understand the confusion - Peter Gunn asked me if Belgium was in Middle Earth *smile*)...

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
This is getting a little frustrating *biggrin*

Checked out the Devialet tonight and its not as simple as I thought. One of the big appeals to me for this was that it would reduce boxes in my system. I was hoping network played and Devialet. Not the case as I would need to keep my headphone amp as well. So now back to where I am now on box count.

Lovely bit of kit mind and will demo it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:

Checked out the Devialet tonight and its not as simple as I thought. One of the big appeals to me for this was that it would reduce boxes in my system. I was hoping network played and Devialet. Not the case as I would need to keep my headphone amp as well. So now back to where I am now on box count.

You can plug headphones directly in to a Devialet. There is some (not very good) guidance on this on the Devialet website. The Devialet Chat forum has plenty of advice.

As far as a source is concerned, one simple method is to connect a NAS drive directly into the Devialet via USB. (Obvs this mean having your NAS drive within a couple of meters of the Dev.) Most NAS drives, e.g. QNAP and Synology, come with their own music player software. I've connected my Synology DS NAS to the Dev and controlled it using the Synology software on an iPad. It worked perfectly.

Matt

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Womaz said:

You can plug headphones directly in to a Devialet. There is some (not very good) guidance on this on the Devialet website. The Devialet Chat forum has plenty of advice.

As far as a source is concerned, one simple method is to connect a NAS drive directly into the Devialet via USB. (Obvs this mean having your NAS drive within a couple of meters of the Dev.) Most NAS drives, e.g. QNAP and Synology, come with their own music player software. I've connected my Synology DS NAS to the Dev and controlled it using the Synology software on an iPad. It worked perfectly.

Matt

Ah I see, so no need for a Network player at all. Is there not a loss of sound quality? If not then why would anyone pay silly prices for a streamer.Is it because they want internet radio etc? I am guessing that the I pad app is not all bells and whistles , with cover art etc, but basic?.

So you could literally have the Dev, and the speakers only. That makes it even more appealing.

Thanks again

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Yes, zackly! A powerful vaccin for upgraditis, that's what it is! As for the speakers being too tall, that's too complicated to put into words; I'll post some pics when all is done (I understand the confusion - Peter Gunn asked me if Belgium was in Middle Earth *smile*)...

I wonder if I should look at Maggies when I replace the Cremonas in my study. The new MG1.7i model looks incredibly reasonable, though I'd want to add a sub.

I've also been looking at the PureAudioProject self-assembly open-baffle speakers: don't they look great with their twin 15" woofers? Also n.b. the central driver is a full-range unit, so the crossover is down at a virtually inaudible frequency.

Trio15-TB-and-Trio10-TB-Open-Baffle-Speakers-Front-450x670.jpg

(Womaz, apologies for hi-jacking your thread!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts