Auralic Vesa & Dega??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
Home audition is a must for me as I have a feeling my room helps with the sound I like. Like filling the room and good punchy bass. Its a smallish room about 15ft x 23ft with laminate flooring. I remember moving house once into a new build. there was nothing else in the room at all and I decided to get my hifi up and running. I loved the sound in that sparse empty room. Maybe thats the trick, sell all of my furniture ........generate more funds *biggrin*

Personally, I hated the sound when I had Laminate Flooring (now carpet) and do not like the sound of hifi in an empty room if it has reflective surfaces....but you need to stick with what you prefer.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the Devialet have the oomph i get because god i missed that today in the demo.

I have been looking at them and the 120 and 200 are maybe close to the ever expanding possible spend. It would also mean a total revamp for me. Total start again really apart from the PMCs. I was also putt off by all the technical stuff about adjisting the whatever to match my PMCs. I really just want to listen to music. Buy my gear, set it up and let it go.

There is also no hurry I guess so another 3 months could increase the budget. .......unless of course the ADS blows me away. if it does I would go for it. As if I kept auditioning i would just wrap myself up in knots. Also like I said up here its difficult to find the gear. If you are down south you are so spoilt for choice when it comes to hifi.

Devialet added to at least investigate........ah the ever increasing list.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
As if I kept auditioning i would just wrap myself up in knots.

The wraping up in knots comes in "boiling down" stage before listening. Once you start listening, provided you are honest with yourself, it has a way of sorting itself out. I find it helpful to take notes of my thoughts after listening to a piece of kit...even if it's just posting on here...ie. something you can refer back to. You need a reference benchmark to compare with (atm it's your Clic).

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:
As if I kept auditioning i would just wrap myself up in knots.

The wraping up in knots comes in "boiling down" stage before listening. Once you start listening, provided you are honest with yourself, it has a way of sorting itself out. I find it helpful to take notes of my thoughts after listening to a piece of kit...even if it's just posting on here...ie. something you can refer back to. You need a reference benchmark to compare with (atm it's your Clic).

I agree Cno, but that has to be at home. That takes a lot of possibilities away. I actually think the ADS will blow my CLIC out of the water. On reflection I think the dealer was trying to put me off the demo today. he kept saying it would be tottaly different to my system. Maybe I should have listened. Its a fault of mine I guess, once I want to do something i tend to go ahead. Its his bloody profession , he knew better than me.....there I said it!!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I agree Cno, but that has to be at home. That takes a lot of possibilities away. I actually think the ADS will blow my CLIC out of the water. On reflection I think the dealer was trying to put me off the demo today. he kept saying it would be tottaly different to my system. Maybe I should have listened. Its a fault of mine I guess, once I want to do something i tend to go ahead. Its his bloody profession , he knew better than me.....there I said it!!

Hearing what you don't like is imo, just as important as hearing what you do...it helps to build up a personal understanding of one's own taste and how to achieve it. Remember, something is only best, until you hear better...and that isn't always about what you spend.

If you had come from an "all in one" boom box, the Linn would have sounded brilliant...

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

Hearing what you don't like is imo, just as important as hearing what you do...it helps to build up a personal understanding of one's own taste and how to achieve it. Remember, something is only best, until you hear better...and that isn't always about what you spend.

If you had come from an "all in one" boom box, the Linn would have sounded brilliant...

Agree with all of that.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Womaz said:
Does the Devialet have the oomph i get because god i missed that today in the demo.

Yes.

Womaz said:
I have been looking at them and the 120 and 200 are maybe close to the ever expanding possible spend. It would also mean a total revamp for me. Total start again really apart from the PMCs.
Well, it'll be a total start again for your PMCs too, when enabling the SAM protocol for them: fine-tuned and turbo-charged!
Womaz said:
I was also put off by all the technical stuff about adjusting the whatever to match my PMCs. I really just want to listen to music. Buy my gear, set it up and let it go.

That's exactly how it goes. You choose your speakers in the SAM drop-down menu, choose which source(s) you want to use and you're ready to go. Whenever you feel bored, you can play with a whole lot of other settings and parameters, but that's not necessary at all.

And yes, I would stick to the CLIC as a streamer and see how you get on. You can always change that one later!

BTW, I very much agree with boggit's point: for a streamer it's the robustness and the user interface that matter most; that's where the major differences are IMO.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I'd take the Auralic Vega/Aries combo over the Akurate DS for detail and insight. The Linn is well overpriced IMHO.

However, matt49's suggestion has a great appeal. He makes a good case for such a step change and by all accounts the improvement in the performance of your speakers will provide a much bigger benefit than just changing your streamer source.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
Womaz said:

Yes.

Womaz said:
I have been looking at them and the 120 and 200 are maybe close to the ever expanding possible spend. It would also mean a total revamp for me. Total start again really apart from the PMCs.
Well, it'll be a total start again for your PMCs too, when enabling the SAM protocol for them: fine-tuned and turbo-charged!

Womaz said:
I was also put off by all the technical stuff about adjusting the whatever to match my PMCs. I really just want to listen to music. Buy my gear, set it up and let it go.

That's exactly how it goes. You choose your speakers in the SAM drop-down menu, choose which source(s) you want to use and you're ready to go. Whenever you feel bored, you can play with a whole lot of other settings and parameters, but that's not necessary at all.

And yes, I would stick to the CLIC as a streamer and see how you get on. You can always change that one later!

BTW, I very much agree with boggit's point: for a streamer it's the robustness and the user interface that matter most; that's where the major differences are IMO.

Definitely something to think about. Thanks again.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Womaz said:
Hello again Cno, I heard the Linn this morning in one of their systems and tbh was not that impressed. It def did some tjings better than my system. I do need to hear it at home in my system. To be fair the lad in the shop went out of his way to help me as I called in off spec as I had a spare hour.

I love clarity and detail, so maybe the Auralic would suit me more. Linn on the other hand have 5o years experinence and i would have a local dealer to deal with.

Yes, not least because you'd want to compare it directly with your MF CLIC and assess whether it's worth the extra expense. (And if you were able to do a blind test at home, that'd be even better.)

I have a left-field suggestion for you. For the cost of a Linn Akurate DS you could buy a Devialet 120. This includes streaming, a DAC, and an integrated amp. (So you could sell your MF amp and actually be better off than if you'd bought the Linn.) The Devialet has several advantages:

1. it's a single integrated package that's designed from the ground up to work as one unit.

2. its software and firmware is upgraded twice a year with new functions: next on the list (so rumour has it) is integrated room equalization.

3. the Devialet SAM ("speaker active matching") DSP programme is available at no extra cost for your PMC 23s. This is clever technology and according to most reports it works very well. (It's excellent with my Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms.) One thing it does is extend the bass response of your speakers: for the PMC 23s it will take the bass response down from 42Hz to 23.4Hz. It's also adjustable: don't like it? You can turn the SAM effect down or switch it off entirely with one click of the remote.

My hunch is that a Devialet 120 with SAM will bring you a much bigger improvement in SQ than adding a Linn Akurate DS to your system, and for less money.

+1

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
How is your MF CLIC connected to your home network/router?

Ethernet or WiFi ?

If it's by WiFi and the router is remote from your HiFi and there's no ethernet connection nearby, the Linn streamers are out of the question, because they don't have WiFi capability (IIRC?).

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
How is your MF CLIC connected to your home network/router?

Ethernet or WiFi ?

If it's by WiFi and the router is remote from your HiFi and there's no ethernet connection nearby, the Linn streamers are out of the question, because they don't have WiFi capability (IIRC?).

Ethernet for the CLIC. It can be wireless but my broadband only about 3mb so I wired them

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
.........for a streamer it's the robustness and the user interface that matter most; that's where the major differences are IMO.

This is absolutely true. No streamer alone is worth £4500.

There's nothing they can do to make it worth that much, unless the casework is made from 24 carat Gold.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
DocG said:
.........for a streamer it's the robustness and the user interface that matter most; that's where the major differences are IMO.

There's nothing they can do to make it worth that much, unless the casework is made from 24 carat Gold.

I think the Akurate is a bit more than a streamer mind *biggrin*

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
DocG said:

I certainly have a sympathy for that view, but it is very personal....the fact that quite a few people have spent this (and more), having heard alternatives in their systems, mean it's worth it to them; which is all that really matters in this most subjective of experiences.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I think the Akurate is a bit more than a streamer mind *biggrin*

The DAC and its power supply are of course the important extras that push up the cost. That and R&D.

The streamer element of the unit shouldn't and won't cost a fortune. It's one of the reasons we'll see more and more new HiFi components, having a streamer built in (Arcam CD/Streamer, Primare Amp/Streamer, all-in-ones like the Naim Uniti products etc).

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
One of the remarkable things about the Devialet phenomenon (phenomenon is not too strong a word) is how many Devialet owners have traded down (in cash terms) to Devialet from more expensive systems, e.g. from hugely elaborate valve amps or multi-box Naim set-ups or high-end brands like Goldmund, Audio Research, Nagra and the like.

We normally think of upgrades as being more expensive. Our natural inclination is to think: pricier = better. For quite a few Devialet owners the upgrade has proved to be cheaper than what they had before. There aren't many products of which you can say that.

OK, I'll stop evangelizing now. *angel*

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Over the last few years, and I am not saying that I am correct, I have formed the opinion that because of the digital age its the amp and speakers that drive the performance of a system. This thread has reminded me of that fact. Now having a total rethink.

I do still however have the issue that up here it is very difficult to demo stuff.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
One of the remarkable things about the Devialet phenomenon (phenomenon is not too strong a word) is how many Devialet owners have traded down (in cash terms) to Devialet from more expensive systems, e.g. from hugely elaborate valve amps or multi-box Naim set-ups or high-end brands like Goldmund, Audio Research, Nagra and the like.

We normally think of upgrades as being more expensive. Our natural inclination is to think: pricier = better. For quite a few Devialet owners the upgrade has proved to be cheaper than what they had before. There aren't many products of which you can say that.

OK, I'll stop evangelizing now. *angel*

Its great that you love it so much. its actually a beautiful looking kit, cant deny that. Would look great in my room. There is not much info on their site mind so may do some further digging. Indeed its difficult to see how much they cost. I think the 120 and 200 could be within my budget ........maybe not in next few weeks but in the next 6 months or so. Thanks for your input.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
Over the last few years, and I am not saying that I am correct, I have formed the opinion that because of the digital age its the amp and speakers that drive the performance of a system. This thread has reminded me of that fact. Now having a total rethink.

I do still however have the issue that up here it is very difficult to demo stuff.

IME. Digital sources, especially modern streaming solutions, can take up a lesser percentage of the system compared to a TT....but....as your system improves, the source becomes more important. If you can get hold of an ADS, you will be able to see if you agree.

The improvements are subtler than you get with amps, which in turn are usually subtler than you get with speakers (imo).

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Womaz said:

IME. Digital sources, especially modern streaming solutions, can take up a lesser percentage of the system compared to a TT....but....as your system improves, the source becomes more important. If you can get hold of an ADS, you will be able to see if you agree.

The improvements are subtler than you get with amps, which in turn are usually subtler than you get with speakers (imo).

I think i am starting to think that 4.5k is a lot for a source in my system. Will sleep on it. I would love to get a cheap CD player off someonne and stick it through my system, see how it sounds.

Also at the minute the streamer/ dac/ network player is evolving so fast it could be a time to sit it out and see what develops.

Possibly replace the CLIC with another cheaperoption for now or leave it alone altogether. A new 6500!.....Devialet....PMC 26?? All possibilities in 6 to 12 months time.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I really wish you could see what forum members systems are. For eg the Devialet users. What do they use as their source.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:
I think i am starting to think that 4.5k is a lot for a source in my system. Will sleep on it. I would love to get a cheap CD player off someonne and stick it through my system, see how it sounds.

Also at the minute the streamer/ dac/ network player is evolving so fast it could be a time to sit it out and see what develops.

Possibly replace the CLIC with another cheaperoption for now or leave it alone altogether. A new 6500!.....Devialet....PMC 26?? All possibilities in 6 to 12 months time.

FWIW I agree. In some ways digital audio has made things simpler: it's dead easy to get over a minimum threshhold of performance with a digital source (which was never the case with vinyl). But things are changing fast in the digital world, especially with respect to the integration of streaming services (Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal etc) and the development of user interfaces. And we're being bombarded with new products that promise to tick all the boxes of SQ and functionality. This can be quite confusing.

And as you say, there's something to be said for keeping it simple and going back to a CDP. I've recently become intrigued by SACD, which has never been more than a minority interest (except in Japan).

So I share your caution about taking the plunge.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Womaz said:
I think i am starting to think that 4.5k is a lot for a source in my system. Will sleep on it.

Maybe borrow a Sneaky DS (£1k) and see how it compares with the Clic....it's exceedingly good and might tide you over while you decide on your direction over a year or two.If you like what it does and want more, then go to MDS or ADS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts