ATC SCM11 - EB2 Head to Head. No clear answers...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

pp , just a thought , but why dont you contact one of the forum hifi dealers , (ok rick or david) , by email , explain who you are and ask about the possibility of a home demo for the atc and other speakers on your list ?? im sure they would try to help you out if they could ??

edit.. even if you have to pay for sending back whatever pair you dont want , surely this small cost , £20-£30 tops , would be a small price to pay for the benefit of a home demo ??

maxflinn:

pp , just a thought , but why dont you contact one of the forum hifi dealers , (ok rick or david) , by email , explain who you are and ask about the possibility of a home demo for the atc and other speakers on your list ?? im sure they would try to help you out if they could ??

edit.. even if you have to pay for sending back whatever pair you dont want , surely this small cost , £20-£30 tops , would be a small price to pay for the benefit of a home demo ??

I can hear the screams from here...
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

If anyone wants to hear ATC SCM11s, they're not able to demo locally, and have a cuppa, come to Durham and I'll give you a blast. Seriously, the offer is there and admins can pass my email address on if anyone wants to take me up.

They have at least 700 + hours on them.

A

Anonymous

nah , they are good lads
emotion-1.gif
, just think of the kudos and future advertising you will give to whomever looks after you ? an esteemed hifi guru like yourself , talking them up all the time on here
emotion-11.gif
, i bet when they read this they will salivating at the very thought of it
emotion-5.gif

daveh75

maxflinn:
pp , just a thought , but why dont you contact one of the forum hifi dealers , (ok rick or david) , by email , explain who you are and ask about the possibility of a home demo for the atc and other speakers on your list ?? im sure they would try to help you out if they could ??And clearly much easier than contacting an authorised dealer 10 mins away, to confirm whether your assumptions about them being an web/home retailer are correct or even if they allow home demos.
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

daveh75:maxflinn:
pp , just a thought , but why dont you contact one of the forum hifi dealers , (ok rick or david) , by email , explain who you are and ask about the possibility of a home demo for the atc and other speakers on your list ?? im sure they would try to help you out if they could ??And clearly much easier than contacting an authorised dealer 10 mins away, to confirm whether your assumptions about them being an web/home retailer are correct or even if they allow home demos.
emotion-40.gif

er you do kind of have a point daveh
emotion-40.gif

only the mysterious el penguino can unravel the mystery
emotion-60.gif

emotion-4.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Guildford Triangle maybe?

Or do the premises look like this?...

psycho-house.jpg

Perhaps there is local folklore about people going for equipment demos and never returning.

"Local man escapes Harbeth horror in hifi hell"

A

Anonymous

pp , i remember you recently mentioned a rather large alfa romeo repair bill , maybe you dont want to spend the money right now ? nothing wrong with saying so if thats the case ? i cant afford a hdmi cable at the mo never mind speakers
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
chebby:"So it came about that one fine day in April found me driving through the
Cotswolds between Cirencester and Minchinghampton until I located what
at first appeared to be a group of farm buildings down a country lane."

You so have to read that with this playing in the background

what ad was that from ? or was it a sitcom ? hmmm..

A

Anonymous

chebby:
maxflinn:what ad was that from ? or was it a sitcom ? hmmm..

Puffin' Billy.

ah no its bugging me now , ive heard that music many times , its probably been played with several adds over the years i guess , but a sitcom , hmmm , terry and june ? the good life ? miami vice ? (cough) ok maybe not miami vice ... someone must know ??

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi:
maxflinn:i agree steve , anyone looking at spending north of a grand , and probably more , would surely part with £100 for a couple of hours of home demos of 2 or 3 different hifi components ?

Some would, but unless everyone would, it's not a viable option to make it standard practice.

Well not everyone wants to spend £1000+ on a separates hi fi system, but there are enough people out there offering free demos in their own living rooms and making it work. Get the price right, and aim it at mid / high end stuff and it's possible to make it viable - in any case you don't know till you've tried.

Agreed it's debatable whethere everyone after budget kit would be willing to spend extra, but personally if I was spending upwards of £1k on a piece of kit, I'd want to use all of the possible options in my own house before parting with my cash. Just avoiding the pain in the aris drive into suburbia would be worth it.

A

Anonymous

aha , cheers chebby , i wouldnt be surprised if it was used in a recent episode of top gear either , probably as james may was goofing around with something ...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:Well not everyone wants to spend £1000+ on a separates hi fi system, but there are enough people out there offering free demos in their own living rooms and making it work. Get the price right, and aim it at mid / high end stuff and it's possible to make it viable - in any case you don't know till you've tried.

Agreed it's debatable whethere everyone after budget kit would be willing to spend extra, but personally if I was spending upwards of £1k on a piece of kit, I'd want to use all of the possible options in my own house before parting with my cash. Just avoiding the pain in the aris drive into suburbia would be worth it.

Like I said Steve, a few of us would, but the majority of people are price driven - it doesn't matter how much service you give to people, no matter how low you drop the price, and it doesn't matter how much free cable you throw at them, people still want more. It's human nature, unavoidable. The amount of people that would be happy to do what you say would be an extremely small minority. If something can be exploited, people will exploit it. Once word gets out that a retailer is lending their stuff out willy nilly, you're a sitting duck. It's bad enough even without offering that. You wouldn't believe what people try (and sometimes do) get away with. There's only so many losses a company can take before the whole scheme is scrapped.

I'm not saying it definitely wouldn't work, but there are too many reasons why it wouldn't. Another reason is that if there's a hot product (let's say the SCM11's) and people are loaning for a week at a time, and you ring up today to borrow them, what would you do if I said you could have them for the 4th week of September? It'd be like Lovefilm with one copy of *insert name of mega popular film of the moment here*.

If someone is a one man band, they'll need the best products available at the price point that a customer is interested in. Either the customer gets to loan one or two oer week, or the demo is taken to the customer. If it's taken to the customer, and we assume the demo lasts the day, IF the customer decides to buy (and he's unlikely to pay top whack), the business owner would have to make enough on that sale to cover the days expenses (travel), enough to cover the business premises (as I said, you would HAVE to have a shop front to get these accounts), and he'd have to make enough to pay his mortgage/council tax/send the little squids to school/run a car etc etc. I really don't think it would be feasible.

I do agree that for many it would be easier than travelling to hear what they need to (one reason we try and keep the biggest range we can under one roof), but it would take years for it to become known well enough to become popular enough to make it pay.

I'm not trying to say that there's a divide where people after budget stuff want the best price and the higher end want service - there is no divide. People want the best service, best price, free installation, 24 hour phone back up service and as many freebies they can list on ebay as is humanly possible in one go at whatever price point they pay. I'm not trying to shoot the idea down in flames, I'm just trying to get across why it wouldn't work. Unless people have worked on 'my side of the counter', they don't really have an idea of what they're up against.

I'm sure that a real businessman would be able to come up with even better reasons. I'm not a businessman, so these are just observations I can see from that point of view.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn: pp , just a thought , but why dont you contact one of the forum hifi dealers , (ok rick or david) , by email , explain who you are and ask about the possibility of a home demo for the atc and other speakers on your list ?? im sure they would try to help you out if they could ??

I've pretty much outlined a possibility earlier......

maxflinn:daveh75:maxflinn:

emotion-40.gif

er you do kind of have a point daveh
emotion-40.gif

only the mysterious el penguino can unravel the mystery
emotion-60.gif

emotion-4.gif

Maybe this will give a clearer indication on why I prefer to deal with "known" retailers:

Arcam A65 (Unilet); MA RS6 (Sevenoaks); Pro-ject TT (Unilet); CD73T & ClearAudio cartridge (Infidelity); Wharfedale E20 (Comet); Marantz tuner & Pioneer SA-706 (Laskys); Rotel RCD 975 (Ex-boss); Arcam Alpha 7 (Richer Sounds)....

I could go on listing other components but won't.

Which one is the odd one out from the list above? Answer that and you'll understand, along with a self-confessed tag of my own "creature of habit".

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Which one is the odd one out from the list above? Answer that and you'll understand, along with a self-confessed tag of my own "creature of habit".

Err, your ex-boss and the Rotel (I think).

So your ex-boss works for (or could be working for) Guildford Hifi and this is why you are wary of using them?

You are worried they will sell you Rotel?

What is it?

Andrew Everard:

Infidelity for convincing you you could fit a ClearAudio cartridge to a CD73T?

Or Professor Plum, in the library, with the lead pipe?

Very amusing. I almost fell off my chair chuckling.

Anyway, just spoke to Trevor at Guildford Audio and he'll arrange for a dem with my new amp. Phew. See, I knew I could do it...just.
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS