ATC SCM11 - EB2 Head to Head. No clear answers...

Reading the ATC section, the end of the last paragraph reads: "...if you're shopping on your local high street, the ATC SCM11 speakers remain the best..."

If you do see ATCs in your high street, you're a lucky person. The ATC distribution network is such that to audition a pair I would have to travel a round trip close on 300 miles. Or alternatively, I could call David or Rick and they could sell me a pair and send by carrier. Mmm, in that case, there's little difference between the ATCs and EBs? or am I missing something here?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Strange: everyone posting on this thread seems to think the result was cut and dried. I suggest you take up the lack of distribution in your area with ATC: 300 miles seems a very long way to have to travel to hear a pair...

It wasn't a whinge, Andrew, just an observation. I'm sure there are lots of people would love to home dem the ATCs but can't due to location. As you said it's probably best taken up with ATC direct.

Maybe one of the authorised ATC sellers can throw some light on the subject?

igglebert:Guildford Audio Ltd 01483 537577 180 Epsom Road, Guildford, GU1 2RR Map clicky

Cheers, Iggle. They're just 10 mins down the road from home/work. Seems strange they don't advertise the address on the website...
emotion-43.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:
igglebert:Guildford Audio Ltd 01483 537577 180 Epsom Road, Guildford, GU1 2RR Map clicky

Cheers, Iggle. They're just 10 mins down the road from home/work. Seems strange they don't advertise the address on the website...
emotion-43.gif

It makes it clear on the website "Demonstrations by appointment" so I would phone them first. (The premises look residential rather than a shopfront.)

daveh75

chebby:plastic penguin:

emotion-43.gif

It makes it clear on the website "Demonstrations by appointment" so I would phone them first. (The premises look residential rather than a shopfront.) On the 'Home Audio' page it also states,

"A fair proportion of the components will be
available for demonstration, but as you will be aware, most of these
need to be run for at least 24 hours to sound at their best. It is for
this reason that we require a demonstration to be booked beforehand so
the system can be heat soaked."

chebby:plastic penguin:

emotion-43.gif

It makes it clear on the website "Demonstrations by appointment" so I would phone them first. (The premises look residential rather than a shopfront.)

Thank you, gentlemen. I clearly know the road well and had realised that it's unlikey to be a shop or showroom.

This was the reason for the original post, that ATC approved retailer shops are thin on the ground, especially in the deep south.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:

Reading the ATC section, the end of the last paragraph reads: "...if you're shopping on your local high street, the ATC SCM11 speakers remain the best..."

If you do see ATCs in your high street, you're a lucky person. The ATC distribution network is such that to audition a pair I would have to travel a round trip close on 300 miles. Or alternatively, I could call David or Rick and they could sell me a pair and send by carrier. Mmm, in that case, there's little difference between the ATCs and EBs? or am I missing something here?

Try almost £300 pounds price difference and if you read the little box below the SCM11, it says they have finally met their match.

Richard Allen:plastic penguin:

Try almost £300 pounds price difference and if you read the little box below the SCM11, it says they have finally met their match.

I think you have misunderstood my original point. Yes, WHFI have said the EBs "raise the bar..." but due to the lack of retail outlets, especially in the south, the ATCs and EBs are pretty much on par in terms I would have to take a flyer and hope I like them. EBs have a 28 day money back guarantee, but not sure how that would work with ATCs.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:EBs have a 28 day money back guarantee, but not sure how that would work with ATCs.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work as the ATC's need a good 100/200 or so hours to run in.

A

Anonymous

Took the write up to say that the EB2's had knocked the ATC into second place.....

A

Anonymous

Your right and you should be able to get a small discount on ex demo kit. Had a few bargains like that myself.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
potboyslim:Your right and you should be able to get a small discount on ex demo kit. Had a few bargains like that myself.

The point is that everyone will want 'run-in'/ex-demo versions and expect a discount too. (Either that or expect to be able to send them back for a full refund after 200 hours use which could takes months!)

chebby:

plastic penguin:What even an ex-dem pair?

Which people will expect a discount on. (I'd charge a premium for the pre 'run in' service
emotion-14.gif
)

No, not to buy but demo. Out of all the speakers and amps I've home demo'd they have all been nicely run-in. I know it isn't a perfect scenario, as mentioned before, I'm sure their are quite a chunk of the hi-fi population that just haven't (or can't) go to an authorised ATC dealer due location.

A

Anonymous

What I meant was that if a HIFI shop is selling ex demo set of ATC, then you would expect a bit of money off.

The reality of the ATC speakers is that hardly anyone has ex demo of these as they are so good. If you could find a set then buy them.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Plastic Penguin,

This 'test' wasn't exactly written in the usual way for comparative reviews with a definitive conclusion, and I didn't get it either initially!

Anyway reading it twice led me to this that in my opinion concludes that the EB Acoustics EB2 came out the winner (my interpretation, at least!)

ATC SCM11 (Cost of £935 on Page 50, £867 on Page 26 - Best Buys.) - another misprint?
emotion-16.gif

EB Acoustics EB2 (Cost of £669)

''....vocals are given air and convey plenty of emotion thanks to superb insight - leaving us staggered when the EB2's bring yet more initimacy and scale - and there's no shortage of dynamics and excitement when required.

It's simply and almost solely the strengths of the EB2's that hurts the SCM11's; they take the strengths of the ATC's and raise the bar''.

These speakers are cheaper, look better and sound better! Great job, EB Acoustics!

Ronald

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts