HDMI The facts...May Be

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I understand where your coming from though from experiance i have also heard and seen differences in cables ( not actual picture quality ) things like motion judder, so there must be a standard for HDMI cables which some cable do not meet.

My guess if the HDMI has been built to the correct min standard then you should be fine but some aren't

I know with PC gaming the earlier HDMI cables cannot keep up with todays PC gaming

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this link has been posted already

http://www.tested.com/tech/3329-the-difference-between-cheap-and-expensive-hdmi-cables/

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
landzw said:
I understand where your coming from though from experiance i have also heard and seen differences in cables ( not actual picture quality ) things like motion judder, so there must be a standard for HDMI cables which some cable do not meet.

My guess if the HDMI has been built to the correct min standard then you should be fine but some aren't

I know with PC gaming the earlier HDMI cables cannot keep up with todays PC gaming

indeed sir, you are correct. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions There has been 6 versions of HDMI standards up to now.

There is also a group called the hdmi forum, which is a lot of the main producers of electronics equipment that come up with the standards and make sure they work universally across the board. http://www.hdmiforum.org/members.aspx

Futher to all of this, if you want to put the HDMI logo on your cable, you have to conform to one of the standards set http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/specification.aspx Bearing in mind that those people who do the testing for the standard say that the whole point in having the HDMI standards is so that there is no difference with the performance of the cables.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
landzw said:

what gaming cables are you refering to... HDMI or DVI CABLES FOR 3D GAMING.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Did anyone watch Watchdog test house on BBC 1 yesterday? They tested HDMI cables, cut them open etc.
Even if people watch this programme they still will not want to believe what is said.. But sorry I have to say it again even if I sound like a cracked record. HIFI IS LIKE A RELIGION.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Native_bon said:
bigboss said:
Did anyone watch Watchdog test house on BBC 1 yesterday? They tested HDMI cables, cut them open etc.
HIFI IS LIKE A RELIGION.

Since when do you use a HDMI cable for hifi ???
When listening to live music recorded in 5.1.. Trying to be smart :shame:

HUM ..that reminds me.. now where is my Geogre Benson 5.1 live concert

disc.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Do I need to upgrade to a 'high-speed' version 1.4 HDMI cable for 3D?[/b]
No, these standards are virtually meaningless for consumers – they simply refer to electronics and not to the cables themselves. Think about it: when did you last experience an 'HDMI failure'?
Ok, ok, is that why my older receiver will not pass thru 3D signals? Cables need not be 3D rated but receivers have to be?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The standard for hardware and cables are different. For 3D, all hardware devices transporting the signal need to meet the 1.4 standard or above. For cables, the cables must meet the High Speed standard (which is also required for 1080p). See this link for more details.

super

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
According to watchdog, anyone who bought an expensive HDMI cable from currys/pc world can get a refund due to inaccurate information of sales. They are now going to educate their staff and inform the shopper that there is no difference in picture quality between expensive ones and cheap ones, yeah right.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts