Are there any good amps with built in graphic equalizers

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The real answer would have to be no, you might find some lifstyle type amps with 5 - 7 way graphics but nothing of the quality required to drive PM1s.

You may have to think a bit out of the box. A few suggestions.

A good modern A/V reciever can be bought with Audyssey eq and room correction on board, I have heard it do some horrible things to a system but can work well when set up carefully and with a degree of restraint.

Use a regular stereo amplifier but add a pro level 30 band equaliser, top models such as those by BSS or Klark Technik cost £300-600 with cheaper alternatives available from companies like Behringer.

Build your setup around the DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core Dac/pre-amp/equaliser, this gives you sophisticated multi band parametric EQ, 'house' eq curves for gentle 'tone' variations plus of course excellent 'antimode' room correction at low frequencies.

Given the potential of your speakers this requires some thought, do you have a budget and what are the rest of your system requirements?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_1404918602 said:
Does the Dspeaker have an amp? How many watts is it?

This can act as a digital pre-amp, DAC or pure DSP (digital signal processing). So if used as a pre-amp you would need a separate power amp to go with it.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Following on from Dave's thorough post, I'd just add that, assuming it fits in with your system, doing EQ in the digital domain has two big advantages. One is that it'll be more accurate. The other is that with the DSPeaker Anti-Mode that Dave proposes you also have the possibility of automated correction of low frequencies. This is done very precisely and removes the element of guesswork.

As Dave says, it'd be really helpful if you could list your other components.

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
matt49 said:
Following on from Dave's thorough post, I'd just add that, assuming it fits in with your system, doing EQ in the digital domain has two big advantages. One is that it'll be more accurate. The other is that with the DSPeaker Anti-Mode that Dave proposes you also have the possibility of automated correction of low frequencies. This is done very precisely and removes the element of guesswork.

As Dave says, it'd be really helpful if you could list your other components.
I don't have other components, I thought all I needed was an amp and a dac and an ipod

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
davedotco said:
The real answer would have to be no, you might find some lifstyle type amps with 5 - 7 way graphics but nothing of the quality required to drive PM1s.

You may have to think a bit out of the box. A few suggestions.

A good modern A/V reciever can be bought with Audyssey eq and room correction on board, I have heard it do some horrible things to a system but can work well when set up carefully and with a degree of restraint.

Use a regular stereo amplifier but add a pro level 30 band equaliser, top models such as those by BSS or Klark Technik cost £300-600 with cheaper alternatives available from companies like Behringer.

Build your setup around the DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core Dac/pre-amp/equaliser, this gives you sophisticated multi band parametric EQ, 'house' eq curves for gentle 'tone' variations plus of course excellent 'antimode' room correction at low frequencies.

Given the potential of your speakers this requires some thought, do you have a budget and what are the rest of your system requirements?

My budget is 2500 shich means i can spend up to 500 on an amp

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My budget is 2500 shich means i can spend up to 500 on an amp

Trying to drive a pair of £2000 PM1 speakers with a £500 amplifier is not really a great idea, I thought from your post you already had the speakers.

With all due respect, you need to rethink, tell us what you actually have, what your reqirements are in terms of functionality and sources and perhaps even looks, otherwise many of the suggestions will not be suitable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This reads more like a wind-up the longer it goes on ...

... however, giving you the benefit of the doubt, any well engineered amplifier, regardless of cost, will 'drive' the speakers mentioned. Some will soon share that all decent amplifiers sound the same ... (was that the intention of the thread?)

Anyways, back to giving you the benefit of the doubt ... as has been said before, it is probably not the best distribution of budget to use a £500 amplifier with a £2000 speaker, especially if it has to include a graphic equalizer and 200 real watts (perhaps some budget home DJ 'Pro' amplifier will fullfill those needs).

Having said that, there are examples of 'mismatches' which have reportedly sounded very good. - One of them is QAcoustics new 3000 series bookshelf, £200 with a £3000 Arcam integrated amplifier (Bristol Show) and a Micromega Myamp which was used to power Focal Utopia's at Munich Show.

Make of that what you will.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
"Anyways, back to giving you the benefit of the doubt ... as has been said before, it is probably not the best distribution of budget to use a £500 amplifier with a £2000 speaker"

But I don't understand why, I would like to know so I don't make the wrong choice.

The concept of "system matching" is sorighn to me because before this i've only used active speakers.

Why the PM-1?

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
"Anyways, back to giving you the benefit of the doubt ... as has been said before, it is probably not the best distribution of budget to use a £500 amplifier with a £2000 speaker"

But I don't understand why, I would like to know so I don't make the wrong choice.

The concept of "system matching" is forighn to me because before this i've only used active speakers.

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
Because I'm looking for a front ported speaker that system that's below 15.5 inches in height and ten inches in width for under 2500 that goes down into the 40hz range that's also widely critically acclaimed. I was thinking of going with the ADAM A8x also which is a studio monitor but I heard works well as a HIFI.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Because I'm looking for a front ported speaker that system that's below 15.5 inches in height and ten inches in width for under 2500 that goes down into the 40hz range.

Why don't you stay 'active'?

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
BEcause all the active speakers are studio monitors which are quite analytical sounding. What Hifi review said the PM1 where fun sounding. Typically the speakers I used before where for mixing, not for listening. However I was thinking of getting the flattest monitors possible and then EQing them how I want, but I would like to audition the PM1

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can be flexible with port placing, you might consider the Kef LS50s, which are not (imo) analytical sounding and have a scale which belies their size. They also cost £800, which would free up enough cash to look at amps like Arcam A39, Hegel H80 and Rega Elicit R.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts