Review Thoughts on the Fosi audio V3

7.12_am

Jan 13, 2024
Visit site
Many people can still be wondering about what people say about this amplifier. Not sure if this post will help define how good of an amplifier the Fosi Audio V3 is, but it's a bargain I can say!

For not much you can get an audiophile-grade amplifier that is very well-built and is pretty barebones everything that you need in terms of features on an amp. It's very simple and easy to understand how to work it out.
There is one knob that controls the sound output, you have speaker binding posts, and RCA input and the power supply input.

In terms of sound I believe depending on tastes it can sound perfect or decent, I believe that it sounds great, because there is a very good stage and clarity that comes from this thing. I personally compare this amplifier to a setup that throws my setup to the wall in terms of price, but I also say that i personally find my setup better-sounding than the 30 000CA$ pair of speakers that is the reference setup at my local audio shop.

I do not think the amplifier colors the signal very much. I think that it can be paired with anything, though if you don't think the stock amplifier works well with your setup and you want to be like me and fiddle around and change stuff to your liking, the OP-Amps are swappable and you can throw some SparkoS OP-Amps in there even, though I have yet to try this cool feature.

Is the amplifier good? Without doubt.
Does it have good value? Absolutely.

I approve of this Amplifier and this made me absolutely lean towards Fosi Audio if I wish to get good things.

If you have any questions, I will try to be as active as possible on this discussion. Have a good day!

Reactions: njprrogers and Dom
Somebody whose ears I trust was also very enthusiastic about this little amp, early in December. Then a few others popped up on another forum, all agreeing. Over Christmas I did a bit of homework and thought it’d be fun to try one.

Mine arrived on 2nd January and it’s flipping amazing. After a couple of hours ‘warming up’ I had a listen, and aside from sounding slightly smoothed over it was very enjoyable. I’ve either acclimatised or it’s opened up a bit, as I’m now not the least bit bothered and am listening to it all day. Nothing unpleasant to draw attention, no lack of ooomph, and seems to run on a handful of watts.

Ridiculously, my cables cost more than this amp, if I was to buy them new.

Anyone unfamiliar, it comes in 32 or 48volt versions, that being the supply from the accompanying power block. The actual amp fits in the palm of your hand. I chose the higher powered version.

A cautionary note, it’s not an integrated amp, as it only has about 20-22dB of gain. Ok with a preamp (like my Linn DSM), or a CD player source, but less likely to work so well from a modest phono stage.

Pictured with a CD case for scale. This was before plugging in the mains, so you see how closely spaced the speaker sockets are. But they fit standard bananas, or Z plugs in the case of my Atlas Hyper 3.5.

View: https://imgur.com/WmWsS3m

View: https://imgur.com/TGmjUVT

gasolin

Last edited:
I’m not sure it is. They are both using the same TI chip, so essentially they should be similar. For reasons I don’t understand the Aiyima is slightly noisier, based on ASR’s measurements but I’ve some doubts it is audible.

Here in the UK, Amazon.co.uk sell both, which avoids possible hiccups with import duties. My Fosi had a sticker on it from a British importer.

Witterings

There is also this amp with a big power supply

Don't think it's as powerful in a stereo setup so depends what your priorities are .. I'd love to hear a pair of them as mono blocks though :D

Don't think it's as powerful in a stereo setup so depends what your priorities are .. I'd love to hear a pair of them as mono blocks though :D
I’ve got one in order, so if you buy one too I will happily lend you mine to try out.

I rashly ordered it direct from the Fosi Audio website, but have no idea if it’s imported individually or I get it from Europe or the UK distributor. They were offering 15% off for advance orders, but then had a little roulette wheel gimmick which came up with 20% off.

$189.99 less $38.00 off, total $151.99. Amex tells me that is £124.15 from my account. It includes delivery, but is silent on taxes, etc.

The power output of the v3 was overstated in some places, especially Fosi’s own website. They quoted the theoretical output of the TI chip used, rather than the actual output of the assembled amp. Unfortunately, it is still misleadingly headlined as 300wpc which is silly!

There’s now a table that sets it out clearly when you scroll through the website. This was from my ZA3 order. Ignore the 10% column, and you get 95wpc into 8 ohms, which is the typical standard we use for Hifi gear, as opposed to AV.

IMG_1587.png

Last edited:
Reactions: njprrogers

Witterings

I’ve got one in order, so if you buy one too I will happily lend you mine to try out.

I rashly ordered it direct from the Fosi Audio website, but have no idea if it’s imported individually or I get it from Europe or the UK distributor. They were offering 15% off for advance orders, but then had a little roulette wheel gimmick which came up with 20% off.

$189.99 less $38.00 off, total $151.99. Amex tells me that is £124.15 from my account. It includes delivery, but is silent on taxes, etc.

I saw the V3's on fleabay UK as well but I don't know how you stand buying on there re tax, the ZA3 hasn't appeared on there yet.

I keep trying to find an excuse to buy one and hence why I'm following threads discussing them but if I'm honest with myself it'd just be for the sake of having a toy I don't need, if I do get one I'll let you know :)

Reactions: nopiano
I saw the V3's on fleabay UK as well but I don't know how you stand buying on there re tax, the ZA3 hasn't appeared on there yet.

I keep trying to find an excuse to buy one and hence why I'm following threads discussing them but if I'm honest with myself it'd just be for the sake of having a toy I don't need, if I do get one I'll let you know :)
Looks like the second batch of 5,000 units of ZA3 won’t arrive until April. 🙁

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
There is also this amp with a big power supply

You can buy two of these ZA3's and bridge them in mono blocks. I also love the Shark grills.
I had the Fosi V3 for about six months before replacing them with my French bleu.
V3 were a gas gas gas, Mick Jagger would say. Great articulate clean sound and a steal, especially if you're on a budget.

You can buy two of these ZA3's and bridge them in mono blocks. I also love the Shark grills.
I had the Fosi V3 for about six months before replacing them with my French bleu.
V3 were a gas gas gas, Mick Jagger would say. Great articulate clean sound and a steal, especially if you're on a budget.
I’ve been using my v3 since it arrived earlier this month. Have a week away soon, then will listen again once back home. Then plan to revert to my Pass Labs to see how they compare.

I can’t believe I’m comparing a £120 amp to a £5k one, and even allowing for my ageing ears I don’t think I’m completely mad. But there we are!

As you say, a steal. The caveat being it’s not an integrated amp, and only about 2 volt sensitivity, but works great with streamer and speakers costing about 100x more!

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I’ve been using my v3 since it arrived earlier this month. Have a week away soon, then will listen again once back home. Then plan to revert to my Pass Labs to see how they compare.

I can’t believe I’m comparing a £120 amp to a £5k one, and even allowing for my ageing ears I don’t think I’m completely mad. But there we are!

As you say, a steal. The caveat being it’s not an integrated amp, and only about 2 volt sensitivity, but works great with streamer and speakers costing about 100x more!
The V3 is a little marvel, a power amp with a volume control.
When I played it the first time, I thought where's this big sound coming from?
Old class D amplifiers were reputed to sounding dull but Fosi has clearly cracked the nut.
Maybe this is the catalyst for better Class D amps to come.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
If you already have a primary HiFi system setup, you're probably not looking into the Fosi V3. However, I do think it holds a unique position, especially if you're looking to have a second system, one that isn't too costly but provides excellent sound quality.

This was the shoe that fitted my foot. I wanted something in my bedroom but I didn't want to extend my budget and I wanted a small footprint that didn't stick out too much.

I got the Fosi V3 and Dali Zensor 1 and big bulky Denon DVD/SACD 2900 player (so much for the small footprint!), with the exception of the V3, were all second hand. This set up was absolutely brilliant in terms of sound quality, big bang for the bucks.

I did eventually upgrade but just to underline my point, for a small outlay, using the Fosi as the base, you can put together an excellent second system.

Then........Thank You Fosi, Zensor 1 and Denon
1705400673841.png

And now........... say hello to; Atoll, SMSL Oberon 3 and Marantz :)

1705401129052.png

Last edited:
Reactions: njprrogers and Gray
...when I looked just now, a £20 off 'voucher' (just a box to tick) made the 48v PSU version £109.99 delivered.

A bargain if you need one :unsure: maybe.
Yes, that’s how I got mine, via Amazon. Delivered after three days over the New Year. The same deal, exactly.

Definitely didn’t need one, but was sufficiently curious to take a punt, and glad I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray and Jasonovich

Witterings

Soo, for sound quality alone of a simple streaming setup… Fosi V3 & WiiM pro plus or WiiM amp?

If I had the need of a small system in another room, this is exactly what I'd be torn between.
The WiiM Amp obviously having the advantage of being a 1 box system but not as good a DAC as the Pro Plus.

This is a really hard to decide, 1st world issue :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Gray

Soo, for sound quality alone of a simple streaming setup… Fosi V3 & WiiM pro plus or WiiM amp?
Wiim Mini could be all the streaming capability that somebody needs.
In which case:
Wiim Mini optical out > S.M.S.L. SU-1 DAC > Fosi V3 = total price £280 (currently).
...just add speakers.....then blind test against something much more expensive (y)

Might shock a few snobs.
(The sort of person that made the famous "any DAC below £1000 isn't worth considering" comment).

TRENDING THREADS