Review Thoughts on the Fosi audio V3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

manicm

Wiim Mini could be all the streaming capability that somebody needs.
In which case:
Wiim Mini optical out > S.M.S.L. SU-1 DAC > Fosi V3 = total price £280 (currently).
...just add speakers.....then blind test against something much more expensive (y)

Might shock a few snobs.
(The sort of person that made the famous "any DAC below £1000 isn't worth considering" comment).

I do have an issue with the Wiim Mini - and I don't know if it extends to the rest of the range, in that you manually set the maximum bitrate and depth in the app. This is unusual for a standalone streamer, in which switching should be automatic according to source.

And I could hear differences between setting the bitrate and depth to max and 16/44 - while playing 16/44. I don't know if my soundbar's internal DAC played a part to this - I connected via optical.

I mentioned this to Wiim. They gave a vague reply.

The sound at max bitrate and depth was more spacious, but also more fatiguing. At 16/44 was a bit more relaxing, if not quite as clear.

Reactions: Gray

gasolin

Fosi V3 & WiiM pro plus, WiiM amp, price you can get it for ?

wiim amp has tone controls and crossover you can adjust with the app (im pretty shure the wiim streamer has it to, eq)

Both use the same chip, the wiim has a built in power supply

No ventilation holes for the wiim amp

The AIYIMA A07 MAX is better and cheasper than the Fosi audio v3 ?

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...pa3255-2x225w-4-ohm-1x450w-4-ohm-p-18403.html (no power supply)

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...d-amplifier-tpa3255-2x225w-4-ohm-p-17954.html (with a big 48v 5a power supply)

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I do have an issue with the Wiim Mini - and I don't know if it extends to the rest of the range, in that you manually set the maximum bitrate and depth in the app. This is unusual for a standalone streamer, in which switching should be automatic according to source.

And I could hear differences between setting the bitrate and depth to max and 16/44 - while playing 16/44. I don't know if my soundbar's internal DAC played a part to this - I connected via optical.

I mentioned this to Wiim. They gave a vague reply.

The sound at max bitrate and depth was more spacious, but also more fatiguing. At 16/44 was a bit more relaxing, if not quite as clear.
WiiM Pro Plus it's all done automatically, it all depends on the source PCM/DSD, 44, 88, 192, 384 etc.

Reactions: manicm

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Wiim Mini could be all the streaming capability that somebody needs.
In which case:
Wiim Mini optical out > S.M.S.L. SU-1 DAC > Fosi V3 = total price £280 (currently).
...just add speakers.....then blind test against something much more expensive (y)

Might shock a few snobs.
(The sort of person that made the famous "any DAC below £1000 isn't worth considering" comment).
Sounds like an interesting challenge :)

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Fosi 48v and SMSL on order. Me and Gray will have a play and get back with some thoughts...might take a few months.
Calling out to owners of Ayima A107, it'll be interesting to have your opinion on this other little gem. Some YT reviews claims this bested Fosi V3 and please correct me if I got this wrong but I heard the pre-out on the Ayima is volume control from the amp?

Witterings

Calling out to owners of Ayima A107, it'll be interesting to have your opinion on this other little gem. Some YT reviews claims this bested Fosi V3 and please correct me if I got this wrong but I heard the pre-out on the Ayima is volume control from the amp?

I'd be interested in comparisons between the two as well.
Doesn't the latest V3 also have volume control on the pre-out from the amp ..... certainly if I were buying a Fosi I'd want to know exactly which model it was so I didn't end up with one where it wasn't.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Witterings

Bit of an afterthought to my above comment .... the 1st company that offers similar quality to the Fosi / Aiyima with digital input as well as RCA and a 1/2 decent DAC ... albeit for more money, will smash it out of the park in my opinion.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Juzzie Wuzzie

I'd be interested in comparisons between the two as well.
Doesn't the latest V3 also have volume control on the pre-out from the amp ..... certainly if I were buying a Fosi I'd want to know exactly which model it was so I didn't end up with one where it wasn't.
The manual on the Fosi site for the V3 doesn't suggest there is volume control of the pre-out FWIW

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Tested the V3 against my amp this evening with the NAD cd connected by phono.

Used three albums I play a lot as a good representation of what I generally listen to.

First impressions: it’s tiny, and it’s loud! It sounds… ok. I feel mean saying this, but it’s definitely lacking after listening to the same setup on the Elicit Mk5. I ruined the test by A/Bing with an amp that costs £1900 more.

In general, I’d say it’s missing a lot of body, or fullness vs the Rega. Alice in Chains sounded the best as expected - acoustic live guitars always make speakers shine. Talking Heads was nice sounding, but definitely missing bottom end. The Smashing Pumpkins cd is pretty heavily compressed and didn’t sound great. It was just loud, lacking definition & the bass was just messy.

surprised by the difference on smashing pumpkins - it was the last test on Rega and first on Fosi v3, so the sound was still fresh in my ears.

For £75 or whatever I paid? Well worth it!

IMG-2964.jpg
IMG-2966.jpg

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray
As a matter of interest, roughly where did you have the volume control for your normal volume? Because of its low gain, many use it as a power amp (which is really what it is) flat out. Mine is just before 3 o’clock as that gives similar gain to my usual Pass power amp. I’ve yet to try a CD player direct.

Reactions: Revolutions

Witterings

Used three albums I play a lot as a good representation of what I generally listen to.

First impressions: it’s tiny, and it’s loud! It sounds… ok. I feel mean saying this, but it’s definitely lacking after listening to the same setup on the Elicit Mk5. I ruined the test by A/Bing with an amp that costs £1900 more.

In general, I’d say it’s missing a lot of body, or fullness vs the Rega. Alice in Chains sounded the best as expected - acoustic live guitars always make speakers shine. Talking Heads was nice sounding, but definitely missing bottom end. The Smashing Pumpkins cd is pretty heavily compressed and didn’t sound great. It was just loud, lacking definition & the bass was just messy.

surprised by the difference on smashing pumpkins - it was the last test on Rega and first on Fosi v3, so the sound was still fresh in my ears.

IMG-2964.jpg
IMG-2966.jpg

I'd say the ZA3 shares a lot of similarity to the what you've found with the V3 but much the same as you I'm comparing it to an Arcam SA30 which was the same cost as yours.

The bass / kick, I'd say the ZA3 has a bigger "thwack" but lacks the breadth and depth of the SA30 on the low end.
Vocals are a little more foward which at low volumes can work in it's favour but a shrill vocal and in comparison it can have a slight edge to it but that isn't with the majority of tracks just to put it into context.

There was a female vocal track I was listening to and with the Arcam there was a very definite and clear seperation between the voice and echo of the room which gives the feel of actually being there, with the ZA3 the two merge into one and generally I'd say the ZA3 is slightly "thinner" sounding which is fractionally more noticeable as the volume rises.

Overall though I think it's an incredible piece of kit for the money and wouldn't hesitate to have one in a secondary listening room or for anyone who wants something really good on a tight budget .... but I'm not about to sell / replace the Arcam with one in the near future.

Fandango Andy

IMG-2964.jpg
IMG-2966.jpg
That CD payer sat on the record player is really triggering, I can hear it scratching just looking at it 🤣.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site

IMG-2964.jpg
IMG-2966.jpg
Cheers Rev, nice review sir (y) I'll be comparing the V3+SMSL against an old Kenwood amp, a Marantz Pearl Lite amp+CDP+network player DAC + MA BX2 or BX5 speakers.

I don't expect the pair to come close but you never know. I personally think the initial 'giant-killer' kudos levelled at these Chi-fi components won't stand up in a direct comparison.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
As a matter of interest, roughly where did you have the volume control for your normal volume? Because of its low gain, many use it as a power amp (which is really what it is) flat out. Mine is just before 3 o’clock as that gives similar gain to my usual Pass power amp. I’ve yet to try a CD player direct.
I had the volume where it is in the picture - that’s a good point, moving the volume much below that & it cuts out. Definitely not great for quiet listening via a direct line in without independent volume control,

I'd say the ZA3 shares a lot of similarity to the what you've found with the V3 but much the same as you I'm comparing it to an Arcam SA30 which was the same cost as yours.
Glad it wasn’t just me. Not sure what I was expecting, but I was hoping for slightly better than it sounds vs the online hype. I’m happy for the price, bit this morning I do wonder what I’d use this for vs an entry-level integrated amp. Luckily, Doug to the rescue…

Cheers Rev, nice review sir (y) I'll be comparing the V3+SMSL against an old Kenwood amp, a Marantz Pearl Lite amp+CDP+network player DAC + MA BX2 or BX5 speakers.

I don't expect the pair to come close but you never know. I personally think the initial 'giant-killer' kudos levelled at these Chi-fi components won't stand up in a direct comparison.
Look forward to your review even more now I’ve used one. And yes, doesn’t stand up to some of the headlines attributed to it from my experience. Still good value, but not a game changer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts