Any dealers who stock both Dynaudio Excite X12 & KEF R100

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Have my heart set on RS3, heard some last week but I need to listen to the Dyns & KEFs just to make sure the RS3 are for me!

Budget up to £700-800

I live in Lincoln, UK

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I had the RS3's in Gloss White, their great speakers, in particular for positioning. I now have the X12's in Gloss white, for me their best speakers I've owned. In our lounge I have them around 20 to 25cm from the rear wall and they sound amazing, Never heard the Kef's but had them in my short list and the DM2/6.

if you can accommodate them I would recommend them highly.

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I had the RS3's in Gloss White, their great speakers, in particular for positioning. I now have the X12's in Gloss white, for me their best speakers I've owned. In our lounge I have them around 20 to 25cm from the rear wall and they sound amazing, Never heard the Kef's but had them in my short list and the DM2/6.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Excellent didnt think of Fanthorpes, Hull - however dont think they are a Rega dealer so would have to take my amp in or go to Frank Harveys

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
richutd18 said:
Hi,

What made you part with the RS3? I gather the X12s are a bit more fussy with placement? Thats the thing that is tempting me with the RS3 and I love the Rega sound - just that my RS1 struggle with bass

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I wanted a bit more bass weight and found the rega's a little forward when pushed. The Dyns sound great at low and regular listening.

Their not as demanding as reviews I've read. They have a smooth sound and pretty much play any genre well, I never had turned the volume past 11 o'clock. As long as you leave around 20 to 20cm their fine

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Based on what I have read on various forums, I think the Dynaudios will be for me! I know the KEF R100 get a great write up, but so do the KEF Q series and I have listened to them and did not think much to them!

The Dyns are the better lookers too!

Obviously I need to have a listen, do the Dyns need a lot of space?

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
In our lounge as said before I I have them around 25 cm from the rear wall without bungs. When I'm listening to Massive attack, Moloko they sound great with the Dyns as they have drive. Equally at home with rock and other types of music.

Sorry to plug the Dyns, I've always found speakers the hardest part of a system to get right and now I've finally got there I'm very happy.

See if you can get a home dem from Fanthorpes?

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
In our lounge as said before I I have them around 25 cm from the rear wall without bungs. When I'm listening to Massive attack, Moloko they sound great with the Dyns as they have drive. Equally at home with rock and other types of music.

Sorry to plug the Dyns, I've always found speakers the hardest part of a system to get right and now I've finally got there I'm very happy.

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
richutd18 said:
Hi,

Hi, and welcome to Dyns X12 club... It's good to know that i'm not alone... ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Have my heart set on RS3, heard some last week but I need to listen to the Dyns & KEFs just to make sure the RS3 are for me!

Budget up to £700-800

I live in Lincoln, UK

Hi Steve!

My chin drop to the floor... :O

Hope you find what you looking for!

Best REGArds

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thats what I need something that can cope with Massive Attack, Morcheeba & Orbital but still sound good with Roxy Music & Judie Tzuke1

Frank Harvey has an ex demo pair of Piano Black for £499 - might have to make a phone call tomorrow!

stevebrock said:

Budget up to £700-800

I live in Lincoln, UK

Bit puzzled: If you can't make Neat Motive 3s work in your living room, how do you expect to make the RS3s sound right, given they are floorstanders and the Neats are standmounters?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I had a lot of trouble tracking down the Dyn X12 and then the dealer did not have KEFs. There is a dealer in Essex that has Dyns but not the X12 I suggest you check they have them in stock before going. Check on the Dyn website for dealers. I tried the X12s with Marantz Pearl Lites and did not like them the treble was too forward for me. Try the KEF LS50s but maybe the Rega amp is not enough to drive them. I think most will be a step-up from the RS1s which were probably the worst speakers I auditioned.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Some dealers are helpful and get stuff in for you most will flatly say you don't stock them which I find a bit strange if they stock that brand of speakers why not get another speaker in. One dealer said he would get Kefs in for me even though they don't stock them.

BigH said:
I had a lot of trouble tracking down the Dyn X12 and then the dealer did not have KEFs. There is a dealer in Essex that has Dyns but not the X12 I suggest you check they have them in stock before going. Check on the Dyn website for dealers. I tried the X12s with Marantz Pearl Lites and did not like them the treble was too forward for me. Try the KEF LS50s but maybe the Rega amp is not enough to drive them. I think most will be a step-up from the RS1s which were probably the worst speakers I auditioned.

Have to say - hope Steve doesn't mind but I think it's more familarity of sound than outright SQ. Clearly he trusts and thoroughly enjoy all Regas. Put a Rega badge on the LS50s it might have a chance. His mind is made up.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP your probably right, gonna try a get a home demo on the RS3, I will have to pay for them first and then if I like them they will order me in a new pair! They sounded really nice in the shop, but as we all know they always sound different at home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts