New system starting with speakers (preferably white!)

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the process of putting together a new "hifi" system at home in a second living room (I'm hoping that TV watchers will stay in the main living room!). I say "hifi" but I'm really not sure that applies insofar as I suspect the vast majority of listening will be to Spotify (albeit at high bitrates). One thing that I'm trying to go for is attractive/inconspicuous appearance - so probably white. The room is about 4 x 4.5m and the speakers will be able to be perhaps 20-30cm from the wall (that is down to domestic negotiation). I wondered if I might be allowed to "think aloud" here and get some suggestions from you guys.

Had a listen to some speakers today at a hifi shop in town which had a decent demo room. Unfortunately it raised more questions than it answered.

We started off with the Q-Acoustics 3050 (very highly regarded by this site!) and powered (as were all the speakers in the test) through ridiculously thick cable by the Rotel RA11 with the signal coming from Spotify running on an iPhone connected by Bluetooth. Now I know that's not an ideal start - and something like a Chromecast Audio would likely have been better, but I'm hoping that doesn't invalidate the testing we did. Certainly some sweet sounds were generated by some of the speakers...

Anyway, the Q-Acoustics 3050 (£500/£650 in white lacquer) sounded impressive. The bass was solid and authoritative, the soundstage large. However, the overall experience was a little uninvolving - it didn't make me tap my feet like some of the others that followed.

So we moved on to Monitor Audio Bronze (£550 in black or white wood). This seemed a touch sweeter in the mid-range. Vocals were great, but the bass was a bit weedy. Not a huge problem for me, as I'm all about the mid, so to speak....

The salesman suggested I try some other options. We started with KEF R100 (£600). Rather small, but boy, did they pack a punch! The mid was even better than the MAB, and I was tapping my foot more.

Next up, the KEF LS50 (£800). Strange looking beasts and, again, astonishingly good. Noticeably better than the R100 - smoother and capable of delivering a very articulate bass. Not as deep as the Q-A 3050, but better integrated.

Pushing his luck, the salesman then moved on to some other KEFs - R300s (£1000). I'm not sure I liked these that much more than the LS50, although the bass was a bit stronger. Perhaps my wallet was feeling nervous, but I felt that it was getting a little silly.

Lastly he wheeled out the Monitor Audio Silver 6 (£1000/£1100 white lacquer). This, for me, was the pick of the bunch - both musically involving and with a solid realistic bass. I suppose it bloody well should be at that price!

One speaker he mentioned, but didn't have available, was the Monitor Audio Bronze 6. This might be the answer to my prayers - a mere £700 in white ash. I really want to know how this compares to the Bronze 5 and the Silver 6 - perhaps the panel here would be able to comment? I might see if I can arrange an audition at another shop (Richer Sounds?) that carries them as a stock item.

Note that all the prices given here would be subject to a 20% reduction if I trade in some old speakers (and I have some lying around that would do).

The other option would be to say that these £500/£600 speakers are neither one thing nor the other - if I can't afford the £800ish (after discount) level, then maybe go for something in the £300/£400 range.

Bear in mind here that the final amp choice has not been made as I'm trying to manage cashflow to buy decent bits of kit one at a time, rather than just buy a £750 system in one go. I do have an OKish 30W amp - so probably not suitable for driving something picky like an LS50, but most likely tolerable in the short term. Funnily enough I also have a Denon AVR3312 (a 7.1 AVR that theoretically delivers 125W/channel into 8 ohms) that might be more powerful but less refined than the amp. Then a totally crazy option - a Behringer EP4000 power amp (550W/channel into 8 ohms) - which I presume I could just connect to the Chromecast audio (and keep the volume turned down!). I might have to site the Behringer in another room as it has a fan that's a little bit noisy.

When time comes to get a better amp, I'm hoping that it might be possible to try some out at home.

What do the panel think about choosing speakers on this basis (without a particular amp in mind) and are there other speakers that should be on my shortlist?

rainsoothe

Hi. If you can, after you narrow your choices down, try to audition in your own home. The room is just as important as the gear itself. My room is similar in size to yours (4x4m) and Martin Logan Motion 40 were overpowering with their bass (granted, those + Supernait 2 were rather overkill). If you really want floorstanders, you should look at smaller ones, like the Neat / PMC offerings (or the Sonus Faber Toy Tower).

As for the rest of the stuff, you should try to plan for the amp you're gonna get, even though it's not mandatory. For speakers, I'd look at Dynaudio DM2/7, Monitor Audio Silver 2 (the standmount counterpart of the Silver 6, I think Bronze floorstander isn't really worth it, but I might be wrong), Focal Aria 906, and, if you're gonna get a powerful amp, Wharfedale Jade 3.

As for amp, you could plan for a mix of Sonos Connect DAC or laptop + Apple Airport Express, and partner that with an amp + Dac combo, such as the Hegel H80, Quad Vena or the new Cyrus One. Either this, or save up for a Naim Unitiqute 2 and upgrade with Nap100 later should you feel the need (the difference it makes, imo, is noticeable).

Oh, and get decent stands and fill them with sand or something - good stands matter. Atacama ones are really nice.

jjbomber

thewinelake. said:
I'm in the process of putting together a new "hifi" system at home in a second living room (I'm hoping that TV watchers will stay in the main living room!). I say "hifi" but I'm really not sure that applies insofar as I suspect the vast majority of listening will be to Spotify (albeit at high bitrates). One thing that I'm trying to go for is attractive/inconspicuous appearance - so probably white. The room is about 4 x 4.5m and the speakers will be able to be perhaps 20-30cm from the wall (that is down to domestic negotiation). I wondered if I might be allowed to "think aloud" here and get some suggestions from you guys

Dynaudio XEO 4 active speakers, in white! Attractive, inconspicuous appearance, no need for am amp, but at £1,350 before discount, it may be the wallet needs stretching. Make sure you get the upgraded series 2 version.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys, but it sounds like you all think I've far more money than I have!

The idea of active wireless speakers is an interesting one - at least no soul-searching about cables, bi-wiring, bi-amping, etc there.

Yes, I'm a massive fan of stands - used to have them in the good old days of being single! Probably still have my old ones that supported my Tannoy Mercuries. Maybe a little too big for some of the speakers I've seen, and also a bit ugly. I could probably spray them white, though.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The size of your room, the restrictions you might have regarding placement, and the fact that you appear not to have any experience of using speakers in that room previously - makes a home demo absolutely neccessary. £800 is a lot of money and you need to make sure you get the right speakers for you in your room. I would also be having a think about how much you might spend sometime in the future on a new amp. Generally the recommendation is to have the amp and speakers similar in price. Speak to your dealer about amps that might match well with your favorite choices and see if you can borrow one to use for your home demo of your shortlisted speakers. It's not clear at the moment whether floorstanders or bookshelves will be best for you in your room. So try both, but do try a better amp with them. Then you will get a true insight into the capabilities of the speakers.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I agree with you, but are dealers prepared to do that? £800 is a lot to me, but maybe their margin after discount is in the £100-£200 range. Is it worth it to them?

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
I agree with you, but are dealers prepared to do that? £800 is a lot to me, but maybe their margin after discount is in the £100-£200 range. Is it worth it to them?

Your dealer should have a range of equipment they use for demos. All you are doing is using that same demo equipment at home for a demo. Any good dealer will understand that a home demo is really helpful in allowing a customer to have a proper, relaxed and extended listen at home in their own room. They might take your credit card details, just in case you damage the unit or don't come back. But, if they want you to purchase from them, and come back again to purchase more (in your case an amp) then it is in their interests to loan you the speakers & amps.

My local dealer Audio T are very good. I have purchased from them a few times (so they 'know' me) and they are very accomodating. In fact recently when I took home an amplifier for home demo, they asked if I wanted to take another model home at the same time. And another new dealer to me, has agreed for me to home demo an amp, but as I am new to them, they want to deliver it to me - which is fine if that's their preferred way of working. I am not going to spend my hard earned cash unless I am absolutley sure, and I have found home demos to be the best way of ensuring this.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far, guys, but it sounds like you all think I've far more money than I have!

The idea of active wireless speakers is an interesting one - at least no soul-searching about cables, bi-wiring, bi-amping, etc there.

Yes, I'm a massive fan of stands - used to have them in the good old days of being single! Probably still have my old ones that supported my Tannoy Mercuries. Maybe a little too big for some of the speakers I've seen, and also a bit ugly. I could probably spray them white, though.

The Xeo 4s are a complete solution.

Spotify Connect is built into the (supplied) Hub so it is ready to go from the box. You will need stands but that is all, the Hub accepts other inputs so if you want Airplay or Bluetooth or anything else for that matter it is easily accomodated.

Another similar but much less expensive option would be the Yamaha NX-N500, this does everything for £599, Spotify Connect is built in, as is Airplay and Bluetooth and even multi-room capabilities. Only downside is that there are no analogue inputs, wireless, network and digital only and a lack of grills, though the tweeter is protected.

nxn500whfruagbtklv_f.jpg

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Recommended from personal experience, the following ...

audio-note-ax-two-white-ash-kompakt-hojtaler.jpg

Audio-Note AX-Twos in 'white ash' finish. (About £750 per pair when I bought mine late last year.) They can be used to great effect as close to the wall as stands/connections allow. (I do.) You can also use them close to corners. (I do.) So - despite being a little 'chunky' for stand-mounts - they sound great shoved back to the wall and in corners so actually give you more space than models that require lots of room around them. Just don't stick big furniture items between them obviously. (But that goes for most speakers.)

Quad Vena amp/DAC with two optical and digital coax, USB B and A (Apple compatible), Bluetooth aptX, two analogue inputs plus 6.35mm (1/4") front mounted headphone socket and remote control.

£599 (metal case) or £699 for gloss white ...

quad_vena4.jpg

Hi-Fi Choice Group Test winning review (pdf file)

Hifi World 5 Globe review (pdf)

Qobuz award winner review

The Atacama SL600i stands that I use (perfect top plate fit for these AN AX-Two speakers) are available in 'Diamond White' for £20 premium ...

t700_x2_41ece09d03a4abbb947ca94a99d649ae.jpg

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Just had an offer from the guy in Richer Sounds in town saying I could borrow his Monitor Audio Bronze 6's to take home - obviously with some kind of deposit.

They sounded OK in the demo-room, but no spikes in place and the bass seemed rather boomy.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:

Audio-Note AX-Twos in 'white ash' finish. (About £750 per pair when I bought mine late last year.) They can be used to great effect as close to the wall as stands/connections allow. (I do.) You can also use them close to corners. (I do.) So - despite being a little 'chunky' for stand-mounts - they sound great shoved back to the wall and in corners so actually give you more space than models that require lots of room around them. Just don't stick big furniture items between them obviously. (But that goes for most speakers.)

Quad Vena amp/DAC with two optical and digital coax, USB B and A (Apple compatible), Bluetooth aptX, two analogue inputs plus 6.35mm (1/4") front mounted headphone socket and remote control.

The Atacama SL600i stands that I use (perfect top plate fit for these AN AX-Two speakers) are available in 'Diamond White' for £20 premium ...

Very nice! - I bet it looks great in a dentist's surgery - sorry just kidding - I mean a modern styled room *smile*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
thewinelake. said:
Just had an offer from the guy in Richer Sounds in town saying I could borrow his Monitor Audio Bronze 6's to take home - obviously with some kind of deposit.

They sounded OK in the demo-room, but no spikes in place and the bass seemed rather boomy.

Just try them, nothing to loose and you will have a reference point to compare with the next demo.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
chebby said:

Very nice! - I bet it looks great in a dentist's surgery - sorry just kidding - I mean a modern styled room *smile*

I was only showing the white options because the OP asked about white speakers.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
jonathanRD said:

I was only showing the white options because the OP asked about white speakers.

Yes I understood why you suggested them, and I think it was a good suggestion. Did you audition yours before you purchased them though? I have read some very good reviews of them.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions, Chebby.

Having looked at my bank balance yesterday, I might be putting this project on hold for a while, as I realise that I do have enough components to be able to listen to music and get used to the new room and possibly not enough money to splash out on gleaming new kit as well as go on holiday this year!!!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Yes I understood why you suggested them, and I think it was a good suggestion. Did you audition yours before you purchased them though? I have read some very good reviews of them.

No I didn't.

I respond badly to shop demos (headaches, feeling stifled and queasy) so I bought 'blind' after a lot of online 'research' and weighing up functionality/ connectivity/aesthetics/cost etc. and, finally, a trial at home.

I do buy from the local 'bricks & mortar' stores. I just can't listen in them.

Not a great fan of shop demo's either chebby.Always feel rushed or that because I've had a dem..I feel I'm under some kind of obligation to buy,which I know isn't the case but it just feels this way for me.Also I'm around 35 miles from Glasgow with only certain brands getting a look in at the store I use,so I have to take a punt online mostly.I must be fortunate as it's pretty much worked well for me thus far.But lots of homework and help from the forums are very useful.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Another recommendation for the Dynaudio Xeo 4.

No issues about amp/speaker matching.

No speaker cables to worry about.

Very capable sound that will at least equal and in many cases better most of the suggested combinations.

One option with the Xeo 4, is to add an Auralic Aries mini with an onboard HDD or SSD. This would result in a very capable, flexible and excellent sounding streaming system.

Be warned though; HiFi dealers don't like the idea of this sort of new tech destroying sales of their traditional wares. They'd prefer you to buy lots of expensive tin boxes and loads of Foo wire and interconnects instead, so you may find them dissing the very concept, if not the particular products like the Xeo 4 and its ilk.

z

itsme

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Another recommendation for the Dynaudio Xeo 4.

No issues about amp/speaker matching.

No speaker cables to worry about.

Very capable sound that will at least equal and in many cases better most of the suggested combinations.

One option with the Xeo 4, is to add an Auralic Aries mini with an onboard HDD or SSD. This would result in a very capable, flexible and excellent sounding streaming system.

Be warned though; HiFi dealers don't like the idea of this sort of new tech destroying sales of their traditional wares. They'd prefer you to buy lots of expensive tin boxes and loads of Foo wire and interconnects instead, so you may find them dissing the very concept, if not the particular products like the Xeo 4 and its ilk.

z

i'm not so sure that the Xeo is disruptive for traditional setups. I've auditioned Xeo 2, for 1300 EUR, i can put A good soundig passive system with interconnects and better connectivity.

Bottom line: very expensive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts