First HiFi, KEF R500 or R700?

n2n

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

Quite honestly I am very new to this high fidelity world. I am looking at building my first real hifi. Currently I am using NAD D 3020 and a pair of Cerwin Vega E-78 Bookshelves. My room size is about 20m squire. I live in Kuwait where my options are really really narrow for high end audio equipment.

I am looking towards buying a pair of good speakers which I can use for long term and slowly (may be taking 1-2 years time) build a system around that. Due to the unavailability of stores/ dealers (no scope for auditions for that matter), I am heavily dependent on online reviews and suggestions from you folks. With what looks affordable to me, my wishlist so far:

1. KEF R500/ KEF R700 (Local Store)

2. Musical Fidelity M3si (Amazon)

3. Audio-Technica AT-LP60USB (Local Store)

4. Schiit bifrost (Amazon)

5. Audioquest Cables (Local Store)

With that background, I found only one store here who has some of the KEFs, B&Ws, JBLs and Polk Audios. I narrowed it down to KEF R500 & KEF R700. I literally read every review I could find online. Finally leaning toward R500 mainly due to the room size. I am still unsure if another few hundred dollars for R700 will be a better long term investment, or may be not!

Now, among millions of questions I’m gonna mention a few specific:

1. Does my wishlist look ok or solid?

2. How good MF M3si pair with R500/R700? Has anyone any experience?

3. Can my NAD D3020 drive R500 or R700 nicely till I gather some budget for MF. Has anyone ever paired them?

4. MF M3si has a built-in DAC. Can Schiit bifrost outperform them? Has anyone ever compared them?

5. Most important question for now: R500 vs R700? The store is running low in stock (2 pairs of R500 and only 1 pair of R700). I need to decide fast.

I’ll really appreciate any inputs from you guys, with the questions and the wishlist as well.

Regards.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Wow, that is some hi end stuff you are looking at. It seems a shame to spend such big money and be so limited on options. can you bring your NAD to the shop and try these speakers out?

n2n

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
muljao said:
Wow, that is some hi end stuff you are looking at. It seems a shame to spend such big money and be so limited on options. can you bring your NAD to the shop and try these speakers out?

Honestly I'll not be able to afford it all at once. Planning to buy the speakers now and the amp may be by the end of next year. I did take my NAD to the store yesterday. It took little convincing for the salesman to let me hook that up (they said its out of their policy).

Unfortunately it wasn't much of a help. The speakers are demoed in kind of an open area and there were lot of other noises all around (others demoing on other speakers, HTs, Musical Instruments etc.). However, though it wasn't the ideal situaion, but I did like how they sounded. I didn't listen to many other speakers but i felt they have decent bass, clear mid and highs, good soundstage and imaging. The overall sound felt very smooth compared to my cerwin vega. NAD felt little underpowered and lacked muscle (it drives my cerwin vega with authority which I felt absent). I think it can do a decent job but to get the best out of KEFs, I would need to look at something else. Honestly, I souldn't be making these comments with an hour of hasty audition but just wanted to share what I felt.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The kef's are great speakers and a good investment.the nad will run them but not very well.so you will have to buy a new amp.the amp you have chosen should be fine I'm not sure what amps are available to you.

inbox4

Aug 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi n2n,

I have a pair of R500s and think they are fantastic speakers. I have used a Leema Elements Amp, a Musical Fidelity M6si and an Arcam A39 with them.

The Arcam is the best match by some distance, the pairing is just magic. I would highly recommend pairing KEF R Series with Arcam amps.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have owned both and would probably go for the R500's given the choice again. I found their presentation was more dynamic than the 700's. Also, although the 700's went lower, not much lower mind you, IMHO they didn't do it in as controlled a manner as the R500's.

I did however find them both to have drivers that sounded like what they were made of...

n2n

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a bunch guys. That helped boosting my confidence with the purchase. I think I will order R500 today. Wish me luck...
shades_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS