Amp pairing for vintage Monitor Speakers

May 11, 2016
Visit site
I have a pair of 1970s Monitor MA4 Mark 2s (100 watt/8 ohm) currently powered by an 80s NAD 3150 I was given by a family member. The NAD is beginning to play up every now and then and I think it might be time to upgrade. I was wondering if there were any modern amps that might be particularly suited to older speakers, or I suppose ones to avoid (for instance the CXA60 review on WhatHiFi says it can be picky). My budget is circa 500 quid if that's helpful.

Cheers!

insider9

I'd say it all depends if you like the sound of them or you wish they sounded different. I prefer old speaker however not heard MA4 with working tweeters :) nearly bought a pair once but they weren't working properly.

The reason why I say this should you buy second hand for £500 you could upgrade both amp and speakers.

May 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the speakers - when I bought them I demoed them with much nicer kit (well out of my budget now) and they sounded even better.

If you still have yours Audax make drop in replacements, which I have and they still sound great!

insider9

I didn't but then in the end. Back then I wouldn't know what to do.

Are you only looking at brand new amps or second hand as well? Do you need any specific functionality? Dac or a phone stage, etc.

May 11, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I didn't but then in the end. Back then I wouldn't know what to do.

Are you only looking at brand new amps or second hand as well? Do you need any specific functionality? Dac or a phone stage, etc.

I don't really mind, would prefer new/refurbished to be honest. Phono stage is the only feature I need at the moment. Anything else would be a bonus really.

Gaz37 said:
If you like the sound you've got is getting the NAD repaired an option?

I don't dislike the sound, but I don't love it either - sometimes it feels quite lifeless - so I would like to try something different.

insider9

Ok, I was going to suggest second hand Roksan L3 (the last of KA-1 Mk3 lot) for circa half the budget and with excellent phono stage. Then should you feel the need to spend more you can put it towards source.

But if new Arcam A29 would be a good shout. However fromm memory believe they were not the most efficient so I'd look to pair it with an amp circa 100W.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
But if new Arcam A29 would be a good shout. However fromm memory believe they were not the most efficient so I'd look to pair it with an amp circa 100W.

The Arcam is 80W into 8Ohms and 175W into 4Ohms....so has decent grunt.

insider9

CnoEvil said:
insider9 said:

The Arcam is 80W into 8Ohms and 175W into 4Ohms....so has decent grunt.
I might be wrong on this. I'm sure Arcam would handle them. Rega not so sure.

Roksan I suggested is 120Wpc into 8 Ohm.

May 11, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ok, I was going to suggest second hand Roksan L3 (the last of KA-1 Mk3 lot) for circa half the budget and with excellent phono stage. Then should you feel the need to spend more you can put it towards source.

That does look good! A few on ebay at the moment I will keep my eye on. As for the Arcam, that is pushing it a bit budget wise but 300 quid off is nice. Not sure whether it's worth much but the sticker on the back of the speakers recommends a 40 - 100 Watt amp.

insider9

Worth keeping an eye out for all KA-1 Mk3 and checking stickers on the back. Front only says KA-1 Mk3 and only indication it's the latter L3 edition is on the back of the unit on the sticker. Hence many sellers don't realise. They do sound different. In my opinion L3 sounding far better. For £300 I'd expect a mint unit with remote. But if you're lucky £250.

Also make sure you buy an integrated. There's a power amp on ebay too.

D

Deleted member 160668

Very biased view (see sig), but the Arcam is a great amp imo.

Bit miffed they’re dropping so heavily in price though as only picked mine up ~6mths ago! Oh well... It’s a keeper for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts