Vintage NAD amp for a second system

insider9

I've never heard or owned a NAD amp (yes there's people like me out there still). I'm new to this hobby and enjoy it a lot. From what I've read I believe I will enjoy NAD sound. I'm upgrading my second system speakers from Monitor Audio BX5 to Tannoy DC6T. Currently running MAs on Onkyo CRN755 network receiver.

I've read that Tannoy can have an unruly treble if partnered incorrectly and thought about pairing it with a NAD amp. I appreciate there might be better fits but really wanted a NAD to see what the fuss is about. I have an Arcam on my main system I'm enjoying.

Looking for second hand suggestions around £100 mark but willing to up the budget if necessary. Thanks in advance

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've never heard or owned a NAD amp (yes there's people like me out there still). I'm new to this hobby and enjoy it a lot. From what I've read I believe I will enjoy NAD sound. I'm upgrading my second system speakers from Monitor Audio BX5 to Tannoy DC6T. Currently running MAs on Onkyo CRN755 network receiver.

I've read that Tannoy can have an unruly treble if partnered incorrectly and thought about pairing it with a NAD amp. I appreciate there might be better fits but really wanted a NAD to see what the fuss is about. I have an Arcam on my main system I'm enjoying.

Looking for second hand suggestions around £100 mark but willing to up the budget if necessary. Thanks in advance

I have a Nad C320BEE and can highly recommend this model. Very musical warm punchy sound, not the last word in detail/soundstage but if you enjoy the signature sound it shouldn't matter especially at around the £100 mark. I've only paired it with bookshelfs but not the kind of amp that's hard to match. Works particularly well with Monitor Audio imo.

insider9

knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

I have a Nad C320BEE and can highly recommend this model. Very musical warm punchy sound, not the last word in detail/soundstage but if you enjoy the signature sound it shouldn't matter especially at around the £100 mark. I've only paired it with bookshelfs but not the kind of amp that's hard to match. Works particularly well with Monitor Audio imo.
Thanks for your suggestion. I've read about that amp and know it was highly regarded wasn't sure whether it would come in that price bracket.

I should have probably added that I don't have super high expectations considering the budget. Most importantly I wanted to avoid buying a dud. :) Something that would introduce the NAD sound to me and wouldn't need to get upgraded straight away.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

Thanks for your suggestion. I've read about that amp and know it was highly regarded wasn't sure whether it would come in that price bracket.

I should have probably added that I don't have super high expectations considering the budget. Most importantly I wanted to avoid buying a dud. :) Something that would introduce the NAD sound to me and wouldn't need to get upgraded straight away.

Most definitely not a dud, I notice you have an Arcam A85, I had one and good though it was i actually preferred the Nad. The Arcam went the Nad remained. By all accounts the C316bee is also pretty good but I've never heard one. The C320bee can definitely be had for around a ton I've seen loads at that price or cheaper. Let us know how you get on.

insider9

Thanks both for suggestions. Well, I got the speakers yesterday. Run them off both Arcam A85 and Onkyo CRN755 and the harshness and brightness I was afraid of wasn't there. I'm quite pleased with that as it allow me more time to get a decent bargain on the NAD.

Both my amps are rather neutral so I guess only a brighter amp would tip the Tannoys over the edge or it's my house decor contributing.

I must say on the initial listening I'm rather impressed with Tannoys. They fill the room very well and are quite skilled throughout genres. And even though they're able to rock the detail is still very good thanks to that tweeter. In my eyes (ears) massive improvement on Monitor Audio BX5 in all aspects.

I'll report back once the NAD hunt is over and I've got some thoughts on the sound.

Thanks again

insider9

After a couple of weeks of losing auctions at the last minute I finally got the NAD C320BEE on eBay. Should be receiving it in the next couple of days.

Interesting thing happened yesterday as I've swapped my speakers around and currently use Tannoys as my main speakers. All because of another thread which made me listen to more heavy music. I might be swapping it around in the future though.

Roksans are definitely not a good match for my little Onkyo so NAD will come in handy. On paper it should be a good pairing with Roksans on the brighter side and NAD providining some warmth. I intend to test the amp on both systems so should have some thoughts in about a week.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
[quoteo=insider9]

After a couple of weeks of losing auctions at the last minute I finally got the NAD C320BEE on eBay. Should be receiving it in the next couple of days.

Interesting thing happened yesterday as I've swapped my speakers around and currently use Tannoys as my main speakers. All because of another thread which made me listen to more heavy music. I might be swapping it around in the future though.

Roksans are definitely not a good match for my little Onkyo so NAD will come in handy. On paper it should be a good pairing with Roksans on the brighter side and NAD providining some warmth. I intend to test the amp on both systems so should have some thoughts in about a week.

[/quote]

Excellent, how much did you pay in the end?

insider9

knaithrover said:
[quoteo=insider9]

Excellent, how much did you pay in the end?
[/quote]
£86 in pristine condition from someone with lots of feedback. According to ebay trending at £106.

I would've got one earlier but since Onkyo played well with Tannoys I was hoping for a bargain :) and voila buy it now came up today.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
All amp from NAD are great, even the 'small' ones. I'm looking for a NAD 3020 for my second set. Great amp, only 20 W/ch but enough power to drive difficult speakers.

Have fun with with your new NAD amp, insider9!

insider9

Reijer said:
All amp from NAD are great, even the 'small' ones. I'm looking for a NAD 3020 for my second set. Great amp, only 20 W/ch but enough power to drive difficult speakers.

Have fun with with your new NAD amp, insider9!
Thanks a lot Reijer!

I'll report back once I get the amp.

insider9

Ok so I'm after about 4 hours of comparative listening between NAD C320BEE and Arcam A85.

So, my initial idea to pair Tannoys with NAD is definitely a success. These 2 go together well. Tannoys were accused of sounding a little lean in some reviews I've read but with NAD the sound is a bit fuller when compared to Arcam. Sadly the quality of bass is not as good when compared to Arcam where the texture is just richer.

I've also listened to the other pairing of NAD and Roksans TR5. Considering the speakers when incorrectly paired can be bright and so revealling, revealing to the point where average recording sound poor the pairing with NAD (not surprisingly) is very good.

The most interesting finding is the way NAD projects into the room. Soundstage is sligtly wider and deeper which I like. The detail isn't as pronounced and the precision is not as good but the placement of vocals slightly deeper into the mix feels perhaps more engaging.

I don't intend this as a full blow comparison so I'll stop here. Where does this leave me? NAD will become at least for now my main amp paired with Roksans. I feel I need more time to assess it's virtues. It definitely neither as precise nor refined as Arcam but it may just be more fun... time will tell.

Thanks knaithrover for suggesting this wonderful amp

EDIT:

Few extra hours of listening and it's getting harder to pick a favourite. I guess keeping both is the answer. Rock/metal sounds better on the NAD where as jazz and more laid back listening - Arcam is a clear winner. I'll be alternating between the two depending on the type of music I want to listen to and maybe look for a more refined NAD for future.

matthewpiano

Your findings don't surprise me. I've had several amps from NAD and Arcam in the past and your experience fits well with my own.

NAD amps are similar in many respects to Roksan's own amps, so I'm not surprised the C320BEE works well with the Roksan speakers. Over the years I've owned NAD 3030, C325BEE, C326BEE, and C316BEE and they've all been engaging and fun. Bass can be a slight weakness, with a slightly boxy/hollow quality in the upper-bass in some pairings, but it rarely spoils the fun.

I've had Arcam A65+, A70, Alpha 7R, and A18 and refinement was order of the day overall. They don't quite let go and engage 'in the moment' like NAD amps, but they do tend to lay the music out in an even-handed, detailed, and natural way with a level of musical insight and atmosphere that particularly suits any acoustic-based music, whether that be classical, folk, jazz, or acoustic blues. Where NADs generally deal in broad brush strokes, I've found Arcams add a range of finer brushes to the tool box. I found some of this was lost with the A18, which wasn't as good at controlling speakers as the earlier DiVA and Alpha range models. Pairing it with B&W 686s was an unmitigated disaster, no matter where I placed the speakers, with unbearable levels of bass bloom and overhang.

insider9

matthewpiano said:
Your findings don't surprise me. I've had several amps from NAD and Arcam in the past and your experience fits well with my own.

NAD amps are similar in many respects to Roksan's own amps, so I'm not surprised the C320BEE works well with the Roksan speakers. Over the years I've owned NAD 3030, C325BEE, C326BEE, and C316BEE and they've all been engaging and fun. Bass can be a slight weakness, with a slightly boxy/hollow quality in the upper-bass in some pairings, but it rarely spoils the fun.

I've had Arcam A65+, A70, Alpha 7R, and A18 and refinement was order of the day overall. They don't quite let go and engage 'in the moment' like NAD amps, but they do tend to lay the music out in an even-handed, detailed, and natural way with a level of musical insight and atmosphere that particularly suits any acoustic-based music, whether that be classical, folk, jazz, or acoustic blues. Where NADs generally deal in broad brush strokes, I've found Arcams add a range of finer brushes to the tool box. I found some of this was lost with the A18, which wasn't as good at controlling speakers as the earlier DiVA and Alpha range models. Pairing it with B&W 686s was an unmitigated disaster, no matter where I placed the speakers, with unbearable levels of bass bloom and overhang.

Couldn't agree more.

I've now decided to start another thread as having a 2 amp setup where I use Arcam for jazz, country, folk, etc. and NAD for rock, metal etc. just doesn't work for me.

It would be ineteresting if you had any insight as to what amp (best of both worlds) would solve this conondrum

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
Ok so I'm after about 4 hours of comparative listening between NAD C320BEE and Arcam A85.

So, my initial idea to pair Tannoys with NAD is definitely a success. These 2 go together well. Tannoys were accused of sounding a little lean in some reviews I've read but with NAD the sound is a bit fuller when compared to Arcam. Sadly the quality of bass is not as good when compared to Arcam where the texture is just richer.

I've also listened to the other pairing of NAD and Roksans TR5. Considering the speakers when incorrectly paired can be bright and so revealling, revealing to the point where average recording sound poor the pairing with NAD (not surprisingly) is very good.

The most interesting finding is the way NAD projects into the room. Soundstage is sligtly wider and deeper which I like. The detail isn't as pronounced and the precision is not as good but the placement of vocals slightly deeper into the mix feels perhaps more engaging.

I don't intend this as a full blow comparison so I'll stop here. Where does this leave me? NAD will become at least for now my main amp paired with Roksans. I feel I need more time to assess it's virtues. It definitely neither as precise nor refined as Arcam but it may just be more fun... time will tell.

EDIT:

Few extra hours of listening and it's getting harder to pick a favourite. I guess keeping both is the answer. Rock/metal sounds better on the NAD where as jazz and more laid back listening - Arcam is a clear winner. I'll be alternating between the two depending on the type of music I want to listen to and maybe look for a more refined NAD for future.

You are very welcome, the C320bee is a real gem for the money 2nd hand, I keep 'upgrading' but will never sell it as it always ends up back in my no1 system. I'm currently converting my garage and that's where the Nad will be going along with an old Marantz CD67 and some inexpensive compact floorstanders I'm on the look out for....any suggestions anyone? I quite fancy Ruark Templars or maybe some cheap cheap Missions...

insider9

knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

You are very welcome, the C320bee is a real gem for the money 2nd hand, I keep 'upgrading' but will never sell it as it always ends up back in my no1 system. I'm currently converting my garage and that's where the Nad will be going along with an old Marantz CD67 and some inexpensive compact floorstanders I'm on the look out for....any suggestions anyone? I quite fancy Ruark Templars or maybe some cheap cheap Missions...

Depending on what you class inexpensive. I have tried it with Tannoy DC6T and the results were excellent. These can be had for circa £250 second hand. I believe it should match rather well with liveliness of Marantz. I had a Marantz CD63 until recently I hardly used sadly didn't connect these 3 up together. If you want something cheaper and more compact maybe KEF Q35 if you want an all round warm musical system. Considering they're not bass heavy pairing with NAD should work well. And they would probably be less than £100.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
I've now decided to start another thread as having a 2 amp setup where I use Arcam for jazz, country, folk, etc. and NAD for rock, metal etc. just doesn't work for me.

It would be ineteresting if you had any insight as to what amp (best of both worlds) would solve this conondrum

Just a thought, as both amps have preout's and in's you could pull the link bars out of the nad and try a mix and match Arcam pre to NAD power in , NAD pre out to Arcam power in.

No idea what it will sound like but it may be intresting to find out.

EDIT the Arcam or NAD mannual should have a picture in to show you how

James

insider9

JamesMellor said:
insider9 said:

Just a thought, as both amps have preout's and in's you could pull the link bars out of the nad and try a mix and match Arcam pre to NAD power in , NAD pre out to Arcam power in.

No idea what it will sound like but it may be intresting to find out.

EDIT the Arcam or NAD mannual should have a picture in to show you how

James

I know what you mean. Thanks for your suggestion will try it tomorrow. Probably not a good idea to do it today after all the wine I had.

I tried that once with Arcam and Cambridge Audio A500. The gain levels weren't a match so sadly had to abandon the idea.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

Depending on what you class inexpensive. I have tried it with Tannoy DC6T and the results were excellent. These can be had for circa £250 second hand. I believe it should match rather well with liveliness of Marantz. I had a Marantz CD63 until recently I hardly used sadly didn't connect these 3 up together. If you want something cheaper and more compact maybe KEF Q35 if you want an all round warm musical system. Considering they're not bass heavy pairing with NAD should work well. And they would probably be less than £100.

I mean reeeeaaallly cheap around the hundred mark, less if I can find something decent. I've looked at the kefs you mention and they are on the list thanks

insider9

knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

I mean reeeeaaallly cheap around the hundred mark, less if I can find something decent. I've looked at the kefs you mention and they are on the list thanks
There's a pair of Kef Q35.2 on Gumtree for £40

How far are you from York?

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

I'm about an hour from York actually, can't see them on chavtree though they must have sold however there's some Q3's near me..

insider9

knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

I'm about an hour from York actually, can't see them on chavtree though they must have sold however there's some Q3's near me..

So this is what it's called :) I should go out more. Yes you do have to be extra careful when dealing with people on there but you can get some real bargains.

By the way these Q3 are much closer to me as well as I'm in Sheffield.

And sorry about the Q35.2. I can see why you'd stuggle to find these (I had quite a bit of wine yesterday) Try to look for "kerf speakers" :) listed 10 days ago

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:

EDIT:

So this is what it's called :) I should go out more. Yes you do have to be extra careful when dealing with people on there but you can get some real bargains.

By the way these Q3 are much closer to me as well as I'm in Sheffield.

And sorry about the Q35.2. I can see why you'd stuggle to find these (I had quite a bit of wine yesterday) Try to look for "kerf speakers" :) listed 10 days ago

Yes some real bargains as some people don't actually seen to know what they are selling..

Kerf.....

TRENDING THREADS