Vintage NAD amp for a second system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
knaithrover said:
insider9 said:
Ok so I'm after about 4 hours of comparative listening between NAD C320BEE and Arcam A85.

So, my initial idea to pair Tannoys with NAD is definitely a success. These 2 go together well. Tannoys were accused of sounding a little lean in some reviews I've read but with NAD the sound is a bit fuller when compared to Arcam. Sadly the quality of bass is not as good when compared to Arcam where the texture is just richer.

I've also listened to the other pairing of NAD and Roksans TR5. Considering the speakers when incorrectly paired can be bright and so revealling, revealing to the point where average recording sound poor the pairing with NAD (not surprisingly) is very good.

The most interesting finding is the way NAD projects into the room. Soundstage is sligtly wider and deeper which I like. The detail isn't as pronounced and the precision is not as good but the placement of vocals slightly deeper into the mix feels perhaps more engaging.

I don't intend this as a full blow comparison so I'll stop here. Where does this leave me? NAD will become at least for now my main amp paired with Roksans. I feel I need more time to assess it's virtues. It definitely neither as precise nor refined as Arcam but it may just be more fun... time will tell.

Thanks knaithrover for suggesting this wonderful amp

EDIT:

Few extra hours of listening and it's getting harder to pick a favourite. I guess keeping both is the answer. Rock/metal sounds better on the NAD where as jazz and more laid back listening - Arcam is a clear winner. I'll be alternating between the two depending on the type of music I want to listen to and maybe look for a more refined NAD for future.

You are very welcome, the C320bee is a real gem for the money 2nd hand, I keep 'upgrading' but will never sell it as it always ends up back in my no1 system. I'm currently converting my garage and that's where the Nad will be going along with an old Marantz CD67 and some inexpensive compact floorstanders I'm on the look out for....any suggestions anyone? I quite fancy Ruark Templars or maybe some cheap cheap Missions...

Depending on what you class inexpensive. I have tried it with Tannoy DC6T and the results were excellent. These can be had for circa £250 second hand. I believe it should match rather well with liveliness of Marantz. I had a Marantz CD63 until recently I hardly used sadly didn't connect these 3 up together. If you want something cheaper and more compact maybe KEF Q35 if you want an all round warm musical system. Considering they're not bass heavy pairing with NAD should work well. And they would probably be less than £100.

I mean reeeeaaallly cheap around the hundred mark, less if I can find something decent. I've looked at the kefs you mention and they are on the list thanks
There's a pair of Kef Q35.2 on Gumtree for £40

How far are you from York?

I'm about an hour from York actually, can't see them on chavtree though they must have sold however there's some Q3's near me..

So this is what it's called :) I should go out more. Yes you do have to be extra careful when dealing with people on there but you can get some real bargains.

By the way these Q3 are much closer to me as well as I'm in Sheffield.

And sorry about the Q35.2. I can see why you'd stuggle to find these (I had quite a bit of wine yesterday) Try to look for "kerf speakers" :) listed 10 days ago

Yes some real bargains as some people don't actually seen to know what they are selling..

Kerf.....

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Insider: Is the NAD still your favourite?

Since a few days I have a NAD 7240PE as a base for my second system. With a NAD 5325 cd player, AKAI casette deck, Sony minidisk and a pair of Argon Octave 5 speakers it sounds very well with my iMac. The NAD is playing at 4 ohm, power enough for me.

I think I hook them up with my B&W soon. I'm curious how it sounds.

insider9

Reijer said:

Since a few days I have a NAD 7240PE as a base for my second system. With a NAD 5325 cd player,  AKAI casette deck, Sony minidisk and a pair of Argon Octave 5 speakers it sounds very well with my iMac. The NAD is playing at 4 ohm, power enough for me.

Well I still own the NAD and sold the Arcam a few days ago. So between the two, yes NAD was more enjoyable. Arcam had more detail and quality but sadly less musicality.

I decided that I should really focus my efforts on one system as this hobby costs quite a bit so NAD is also about to go. The difference between the two systems is now vast and I stopped listening to music downstairs.

I upgraded my main amp to Primare A30.1 which is completely in a different league. I wouldn't mind owning a NAD in a future. I've demoed NAD M2 I rather liked.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
[qupote=insider9]

Reijer said:

Since a few days I have a NAD 7240PE as a base for my second system. With a NAD 5325 cd player, AKAI casette deck, Sony minidisk and a pair of Argon Octave 5 speakers it sounds very well with my iMac. The NAD is playing at 4 ohm, power enough for me.

Well I still own the NAD and sold the Arcam a few days ago. So between the two, yes NAD was more enjoyable. Arcam had more detail and quality but sadly less musicality.

I decided that I should really focus my efforts on one system as this hobby costs quite a bit so NAD is also about to go. The difference between the two systems is now vast and I stopped listening to music downstairs.

I upgraded my main amp to Primare A30.1 which is completely in a different league. I wouldn't mind owning a NAD in a future. I've demoed NAD M2 I rather liked.

[/quote]

Wow that was a short love affair...

insider9

Indeed, but more to do with circumstances as opposed to disliking the amp. In fact considering the modest price NAD C320bee would be my recommendation to anyone looking for a budget amp and not willing to get Onkyo A9010 for about 2.5 times the cost.

Primare does just about every little thing better than the NAD. It made me wonder how much better it will sound when using balanced inputs hence I need to free up funds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts