Newbie pairing speakers with Naim NAP150x

soundslikeste

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello, This is my first post & Im hoping to gain a little info & be put straight on a couple of things. Im completely new to HiFi, but have been DJing for some time. Over the past couple of years Ive began on the slippery slope of buying a built to order fully discrete high end mixer (http://www.junodownload.com/plus/2014/09/19/rotary-connection-the-condesa-electronics-story) & modifying the arms on my turntables. There are limitations with DJ kit, especially carts which have to sacrifice some fidelity for ruggedness, & so going 'full audiophile' is out of the question, but the Condesa Carmen mixer & Rega RB301s Ive added so far have offered a huge improvement. The mixer in particular is based on the old Bozak CMA10-2DL units from the 1970s. It packs a punch, a beautiful warmth that Ive not heard in other mixers & is so dynamic, adding plenty of width & really bringing music to life. This will essentially take the place of a regular pre amp. I buy a wide range of music from soul, funk & disco, through to house, techno & electronica.

So far, this has just been running through Yamaha HS8 active monitors (I can see the face youre pulling there!) as I gradually look to update things & Im looking to get shot of them ASAP. Im picking up a used Naim NAP150x power amp (the serial dates it at 10 years old) & speaker cables this weekend & have been eyeing up speakers to pair with it. I dont need enormous amounts of power, but would prefer something neutral, dynamic, punchy & quite forward since I'll be using them to monitor off. The room size is approx 3x4m. ATC SCM11's seem to tick all boxes for what Im after, reading their reviews... except my bank account at the moment. My second choices are the Dynaudio DM2/7's & B&W 685 S2's. This has introduced me to the 4 vs 8 Ohm issue, since the Dynaudios sound great for what Im looking for, but are 4 Ohm (the amp is 8 ), & the 685's are 8 Ohm, but I think I prefer the 2/7's.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what might be a suitable pairing with the 150x given what Im looking for? Im roughly aware of the situation with the 4 vs 8 thing, I guess it seems to be a common question when Ive been Googling. I'll play at volume, but we're not talking 'shaking the windows' loud. I just want to know if thats going to damage the speakers or not?

Go easy on me & thanks in advance!

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The ohms shouldn't be an issue.

Personally I liked the HS8s better than the B&Ws, but I haven't heard the Dynaudios. But I'm a fan of active monitors. I'd think you'd need to step up to SCM11 levels for better sound, but maybe it's the old Naim magic that has hooked you.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I'd upgrade the Yamahas for bigger/better actives from someone like Genelec for instance. You have Naim/ATC sized money to spend, so Genelec shouldn't be too much of a 'reach'.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have the NAP150x and have been using it with Dynaudio Excite 12. It ticked many boxes, but the bass was not quite as expansive as I wanted. I have moved to Focus 160s which are superb.

I would not get too worried about the low impedance, the 150x seems more than adequate to run them.

My only observation is that it can sound bass shy and forward with the wrong speakers; I share speakers with some hifi colleagues. However, when it is good then it is really good.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
I'd upgrade the Yamahas for bigger/better actives from someone like Genelec for instance. You have Naim/ATC sized money to spend, so Genelec shouldn't be too much of a 'reach'.

especially as he'll be using them for monitoring. Forget the power amp and go higher up the active monitor ladder.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
These are relatively inexpensive speakers, but generally pretty compedent.

Be helpful to know what the limitations are in the OPs view, ie what areas need improving?

soundslikeste

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
TBH, I think Im a little sucked in by HiFi, & now that its coming to buying, Im being apprehensive. I have seen the NAP150x for £300 (the guys willing to throw in a pair of 3.5m Naim speaker cables for £75) & Richer Sounds currently have a deal on the Dynaudio 2/7's, knocking £200 off the RRP at £399. Thats about my limit at the moment. With the speakers, the store said I can buy & return in 7 days if I dont like them (not really enough to burn them in anyway), but obviously, that wont be an option with the amp.

Really interesting that you should say that about the active monitors though - it was honestly the last thing I was expecting to hear (on here, at least). In all honestly, its far more convinient for me with space & I was torn about heading down the slippery slope of HiFi on what is a relatively low budget. I have heard Adams A7X actives (I prefer the front bass ports too) & really like them. Plus, they fall right within my budget. I was just wanting a general upgrade all round to squeeze that bit more from what I have. In the future, I had power supply mods in mind for the mixer & turntables & didnt really want to be doing any of that if I would be limited through the system I was using.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Still be interesting to know what your thoughts are on the limitations of the HS8s.

The A7x are better speakers but at nearly twice the price, they should be.

But are they better in the right areas?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts