Integrated amp recommendations for Monitor Audio Silver 6

storyteller

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Howdy guys,

Long time reader first time poster here. Just want to sort out my puzzle here. Had auditioned Monitor Audio silver 6 speakers in couple places. Really liked the way they sound, look and build quality. Now got a bit confused with the amp I should go with these speakers. I mostly listen to various old school rock, some heavy metal and occasional jazz/blues is also on the list. As the source I would be looking to stream files from my PC/iPad/iPhone, but that could be sorted out in the future through various DAC options. For now I want to play vinyl and have pretty much decided on Rega RP3. So to me the amp is the only one outstanding piece of the puzzle. I would like to narrow down amp options to maybe 2 or 3 and maybe convince shop owners to let me audition them at home. Not sure if that's possible though. Recommended specs for MA Silver 6s are 60-150W, impedance 8ohms so not too sure how well would it go with the options bellow. The budget is around $1000 for the amp, so what I would be looking at is:

NAD - C356BEEE with aditional phono input or dac board (if I go with phono input board, then I would buy separate DAC later on).

NAD - C326BEE with separate phono stage unit and separate DAC

Rotel RA-12 - got phono input and DAC

Cambridge Audio 651A - no phono input, got DAC (therefore additional phono stage required)

Cambrige Audio CXA60 - no photo input, got DAC (therefore additional phono stage required)

Arcam FMJ A19 - got phono input (would consider DAC in the future), but only 40w per channel, might not be enough to drive Silver 6

Marantz PM6005 - got phono input and DAC

Rega Brio R - got phono input (additional DAC would be required)

So, has anyone have any input or any other opinions or options? Maybe heard of the similar setups before? Would highly appreciate advices of whatever you think.

Cheers guys,

Storie

Welcome to the madhouse.

You really should be looking at the best amp your budget will allow - Marantz Pearl Lite or 8005, Creek, s/hand Arcam A38, Roksan Caspian or latest Kandy....

MAs of this calibre really thrive on top-notch amplification.

I would strongly advise a dem before buying.

Out of interest, what other speakers have you heard?

storyteller

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Where I live Arcam A38 and all the other ones you mentioned cost around $2000, so that's over my budget. $1000 is already a strech for me.

To be honest haven't listened to any other speakers yet. Might give it a go to Q-accoustics 3050 on the weekend, but for the price I think I'm not able to get anything better than Monitor Audio at this stage. Only other ones I was looking at were some Jamo, B&W or KEF smaller floorstanders but I haven't auditioned them based on the reviews. I doubt they would sound anything close to MAs though.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As usual for MA they are relatively sensitive so even the A19 should get decent volume from them. My instinct would be to aim for an amp at the next level up.

Marantz PM8005 would be worth testing. A recent favorite I'd also want to check out is the Onkyo A9070.

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
From what ive read about the MA S6 they appear to have a warm sound associated with them (correct me if im worng here)...if so i would avoid a warm amp like an Arcam (although try and see what you think). The PM8005 and Creek Evo on paper would be good, although personally i find the PM8005 a bit fugly, and seen a few comments about lean bass from the Creek. If your budget could stretch, how about a Rega Elex R?

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
forget what i said, just read a review on the S6 and they didnt mention anything about a warm sound.....no idea where i got it in my mind they were warm from, might have been the SA8's i was thinking about.......So Arcam may be a good match.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
storyteller said:
Arcam FMJ A19 - got phono input (would consider DAC in the future), but only 40w per channel, might not be enough to drive Silver 6

Arcam A19 is 50W, in fact its more check out stereophile review. The Creek 50A is similar, which I preferred. Rega Brio R and Marantz I think are less powerful than the Arcam? For vinyl I would consider Croft if you can get one there.

storyteller

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Yes indeed Arcam A19 is 50w per channel. But the speaker's specs says they need 60-150w, so not sure if that lack of 10w would make a difference. But definately A19 sits up high on my list. Apparently I already made a strech with speakers and turntabe, so not thinking of spending more than a grand of the amp. Also from what I've mentioned in the first post are the options I could audition in the shop or at home.

So yes, silver 6's are on the bright side. I had a listen through a HI-END system, and it sounded bright. Through Arcam A19 it was pretty good, but thought it lacks a bit of highs. So definately the suggested Marantz is not an option as it would make system even brighter.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Its a bit strange as the MA silver 6's have a high sensitivity on their specs but MA still suggest a high power rating for the amp. With a 90dB rating I would have thought 30w min would be fine.

To the OP - Have you heard the MA silver 6's with a vinyl player in the shop or digital sources? It might make quite a difference.

I'd be waiting for the new Dali series to compare and I'm sure they won't need 60w suggested amp power as a min.

It seems a little strange on the surface. But I know from experience with the RS6s, albeit they were 6 ohms, they require high quality current. Having originally owned them with a 40 watt Arcam (A65+) they were great at low volumes, but weirdly once you cranked the volume knob over 10 o'clock the amp started to struggle - the presentation lost its composure.

rainsoothe

Arcam A19 should be fine. But you might like Creek Evo 50A as well, Rega Elex R is another great suggestion. What about the Abrahamsen that people talk about on here? Seems to be perfect for your needs, and will allow you to budget for DAC or phono or both or whatever it lacks. Also, if it fits your budget, seriously consider a Rogue Audio Sphinx. It would be between the Abrahamsen 2.0 (or the UP option), Rega Elex R and the Rogue Audio Sphinx.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I auditioned the Silver 2's with a Marantz PM 6004 and found the resulting sound very good! Surely a PM 8005 would be more than capable of driving the speakers, whether you like the sound offcourse is up to you. But FWIW I think Marantz is not "bright" at all.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Unless you have a really large room the Arcam would be a great match.

I used to have the Silver 6s with the the Arcam FMJ A19 and it was a great combo, not dull and not bright just right in my opinion. I used them with an Audiolab 8200 Cd player.

D

Deleted member 108165

BigH said:
Never thought Marantz as bright.

You are quite correct, I would never say that the Marantz is bright. Warm maybe, but certainly not bright.

As a note to the OP I moved from MA (BX2, BX5, RX2) speakers to PMC but there really wasn't much wrong with the Marantz/MA pairing to my ears, the PMC were just better, that's the only reason why I changed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts