Wilmslow Audio

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone auditioned a set of Wilmslow Audio speakers? Wilmslow offer a wide range of drive units, crossovers, cabinets etc for self assembly. I have been looking at the options for a bookshelf speaker and I wonder if the sound quality is on par or better than off the shelf brands costing around £500?

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I would get look to have the cabinets made beforehand (I definately don't want a crooked box in the front room!) and feel that I could handle the electronic work. I think what I'm trying to understand is if there is any significant musical gain to be made by making a kit as opposed to a well reviewed bookshelf either new or used?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Given the evident paucity of DIY speaker builders on this forum, it is going to be very difficult to get an answer to your question.

You could end up spending more on a home-build project (especially if - as you mentioned - you get the cabinets made for you as one-offs) and end up with speakers that don't sound as good.

You would have to get them built then have a local dealer allow you to compare them with his stock to gauge their qualities. (Not something I would be happy about doing with DIY speakers of unknown specification, unknown competence of electrical assembly and unknown provenance.)

I have no idea where (or when) any Wilmslow kit speakers were reviewed (unless their website have links).

People I knew in the past, who had built their own hifi components, posessed degrees in electronics and worked for local establishments (like Marconi & Plessey) on projects for the MOD and had competencies and confidence and a passion for their DIY hifi that I don't quite detect in your posts.

Speakers (even kits) are a bit of science and a bit of 'black art' and a bit of luck and require some skill to get right. There is the question of matching components (especially in crossovers) that is more easily done en masse for a manufacturer but not so easy for a kit builder with a 'bag of bits'.

(Sometimes the main difference between good speakers and great speakers are simple things like the care taken in very closely matching tolerances in every single component and the equipment required to measure such tolerances and the relationship with suppliers that can ensure these standards consistently. None of which will be available to you)

I have just checked out the drivers in my own speakers and they total over £300 if I were to buy them myself. (Tweeters 2 x £35 and bass/mids 2 x £117 plus P&P). Then there would be crossovers and cabinets and veneering and testing and a 3 year warranty. (The N-Sats retail for £790 which starts to look like good value all things considered.)

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for the thoughts. I was interested to know the price of the units that are used in your N-Sats - It seems like a reasonable percentage of the overall cost.

Perhaps I can ask you one further question, namely can you suggest a great set of £500 bookshelf speakers that will give me really good clarity (the sort of floating vocals and transparent instruments that I aim towards). I am interested in used speakers, ex demo or new -anything really, and I want something that will keep me happy for a few years at least. I mainly play through itunes, dac magic, Cyrus 8vs and occasionally on old CD63 KI Sig. My current speakers KEF Q35 MK2 which I have enjoyed but feel they sometimes sound "confused", struggling to keep coherent.

I have enjoyed music for many years but do find the endless upgrade path quite daunting especially when considering finding a suitable partner for existing kit.

Thanks

John Duncan

AVI Neutron V! I'd add EB Acoustic EB1s to that (very) shortlist, and I suspect chebby will add some Regas.

s/h or ex-dem, look at PMC DB1 (+ or i variants), though you may struggle at your budget given their current price.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Balderdash:...can you suggest a great set of £500 bookshelf speakers that will give me really good clarity (the sort of floating vocals and transparent instruments that I aim towards). I am interested in used speakers, ex demo or new -anything really, and I want something that will keep me happy for a few years at least. I mainly play through itunes, dac magic, Cyrus 8vs and occasionally on old CD63 KI Sig. My current speakers KEF Q35 MK2 which I have enjoyed but feel they sometimes sound "confused", struggling to keep coherent.

I used KEF Q35.2s for 11 years (and a friend still uses them in a bedroom TV and gaming set-up with an old Arcam A65) great speakers.

Now, those £500 bookshelf speakers with clarity and floating vocals and transparency.

I am going to confound John (and myself a little) by suggesting Spendor S3/5Rs. They can be used close to walls - actually on bookshelves unlike most so-called 'bookshelf' speakers - and have the attributes you just specified.

I didn't find them a happy match (for my tastes) with a Naim Nait 5i and CD5i. But I think your Cyrus 8vs might well 'play nicely' with the S3/5Rs with the reputed lean-ness and detail (of the Cyrus) and smoothness and accuracy and imaging abilities (of the S3/5Rs) clicking very well.

You won't get slammin' bass or truckloads of 'grunt' but that is true of most bookshelf speakers.

The S3/5Rs cost £750 but could be worth looking around for. (Some Audio-T branches stock them and if you have a local branch then they should be able to do an inter-branch transfer so you can hear them.)

I have taken you over budget but the Spendor S3/5Rs are the sort of speakers that people will use for 20 years so you may save in the long-run by avoiding more fashionable or 'flavour of the month' products. Given that you have probably been using your Q35.2s even longer than I used mine, I thought you might find the idea of 'timeless classics' like the S3/5Rs appealling.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Balderdash:

Many thanks for the thoughts. I was interested to know the price of the units that are used in your N-Sats - It seems like a reasonable percentage of the overall cost.

Perhaps I can ask you one further question, namely can you suggest a great set of £500 bookshelf speakers that will give me really good clarity (the sort of floating vocals and transparent instruments that I aim towards). I am interested in used speakers, ex demo or new -anything really, and I want something that will keep me happy for a few years at least. I mainly play through itunes, dac magic, Cyrus 8vs and occasionally on old CD63 KI Sig. My current speakers KEF Q35 MK2 which I have enjoyed but feel they sometimes sound "confused", struggling to keep coherent.

I have enjoyed music for many years but do find the endless upgrade path quite daunting especially when considering finding a suitable partner for existing kit.

Thanks

Instead of talking about it all the time, ring em!! 01455 286603. Ask for Terry. All their kits come with the crossoers ready built if you so desire. For a finished pair of cabinets, they either use their local cabinet maker or I make them. If you talk about it on here for too long, you'll be talked out of it by 'numptys' who have a little knowledge which, as we all know, is highly dangerous.

You wanna do it, go for it. It's not complicated.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There was a demo room at Bristol a couple of years ago, staffed by I think Hifi World with some World Audio Floorstanders. Very nice they where.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:You wanna do it, go for it. It's not complicated.

images

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Richard Allen:You wanna do it, go for it. It's not complicated. Though you do, of course, make speakers for a living.

Yes, but where the Wilmslow kits are concerned, all of the 'developement' has been done. Granted, where the cabinet is concerned, that can be a little more tricky. That's why, in the past, I've provided finished cabinets for their kits to their specs ( not only me, other cabinet makers as well ). When all the bits arrive, bolt it together. If the OP is happy with a soldering iron and a screwdriver, that's it.

And, for what it's worth JD, Wilmslow were doing kits long before I came on the scene. The fact that I make speakers for a living's got nowt to do with it.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
drummerman:There was a demo room at Bristol a couple of years ago, staffed by I think Hifi World with some World Audio Floorstanders. Very nice they where.

Those were the World Designs WD25T. One of Peter Comeau's designs. That was a kit as well but the cabinets were built and finished ready for the kit to be assembled. Again, no carpentry required.

John Duncan

Richard Allen:And, for what it's worth JD, Wilmslow were doing kits long before I came on the scene. The fact that I make speakers for a living's got nowt to do with it.

It has, only insofar as you are more likely to think it's not complicated than, say, I would, or the OP might. In the same way that I might think it's simple building a PC, but I'd still recommend people buy a Dell. That's the only point I was making.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Richard Allen:And, for what it's worth JD, Wilmslow were doing kits long before I came on the scene. The fact that I make speakers for a living's got nowt to do with it. It has, only insofar as you are more likely to think it's not complicated than, say, I would, or the OP might. In the same way that I might think it's simple building a PC, but I'd still recommend people buy a Dell. That's the only point I was making.

John, I understand your point entirely but you know from building PC's and I know from building loudspeakers. If you feel you have the necessary 'way with all' to do it and everything works, the feeling of self satisfaction is so much better than buying a coupla boxes from the local shop. However. If you are at all unsure, DON'T DO IT!!!.

John Duncan

And THAT's my point. If the OP feels confident about it, go crazy - he'll undoubtedly get a better loudspeaker out of it for the price than if he bought one from a shop (though not necessarily from you!).

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
JohnDuncan:And THAT's my point. If the OP feels confident about it, go crazy - he'll undoubtedly get a better loudspeaker out of it for the price than if he bought one from a shop (though not necessarily from you!).

Including 'from me'. Other than that, I agree with you entirely John. But, go on, the buzz you get when it works first time is difficult to better, isn't it??. Just imagine how proud the OP would be of 'HIS' creation.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:
JohnDuncan:And THAT's my point. If the OP feels confident about it, go crazy - he'll undoubtedly get a better loudspeaker out of it for the price than if he bought one from a shop (though not necessarily from you!).

Including 'from me'. Other than that, I agree with you entirely John. But, go on, the buzz you get when it works first time is difficult to better, isn't it??. Just imagine how proud the OP would be of 'HIS' creation.

After hassles with design agencies (generally charging lots for pretty poor designs!) I decided to do the visual design of our next "micro" speaker myself about 2 months back - took me less than a day and, knowing how the process works it was pretty much production ready. Placed our initial order for stock today - very satisfying!

I always think if you can do something yourself you should, as much for personal satisfaction as getting the results you actually want at the end of it!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
AEJim:

After hassles with design agencies (generally charging lots for pretty poor designs!) I decided to do the visual design of our next "micro" speaker myself about 2 months back - took me less than a day and, knowing how the process works it was pretty much production ready.

Just goes to show James, they're not all they're cracked up to be. I'm glad I don't have to use them.
emotion-19.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:
Just goes to show James, they're not all they're cracked up to be. I'm glad I don't have to use them.
emotion-19.gif

Absolutely, the older design team spent a ridiculous amount on some flashy agency which gave us some nice computer renders but nothing we wanted to use! I've just simplified most things and it generally looks better - clean and pure works for me over garish and "bling" any day of the week.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Richard, thanks for the advice. I do intend to visit Wilmslow and in addition through this conversation I have become aware of Acraydis products. I like the idea of the DM1 and am pleased that a quality product is available at that price point. The EB1 also looks good for my needs.

Do you feel the DM1 & Cyrus 8vs would work well for listening to the likes of Neil Young, Nick Drake and the occasional bit of White Stripes? If so i would look for a suitable set of stands and make a decision. If you feel that the EB1 justifies the extra cost then I'd focus on that model.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts