WHF - Current Issue - Turntables

record_spot

Had a quick scan through the latest issue on Readly to see what turntables were being covered. Have to say, pretty unimpressed that all the usual suspects were covered, but glaring omissions with the likes of Edwards Audio's current range being wholly overlooked. I've next to no interest in the plastic fantastic decks from the likes of Audio Technica, Teac, et al. Enough room for TWO Audio Technica's I note though in the under £500 section. Pretty dispiriting range to be honest. The over £500 bracket is slightly better with the Technics SL1500 and the Rega P3, but even then, this is an underwhelming effort from a magazine more than capable of delivering better.

I'm looking into a new deck just now - I've been spinning tons of CDs of late on the Kenwood DP-990SG (and if you should ever get the chance on one of these and it's in good condition, grab it - £600 in 1988 means about £1500 or so in today's money - build and sound quality are terrific). There's just a direct cable into the AVI speakers and we're good to go. For vinyl though, today's landscape is deeply dispiriting.

Homogenous build, lightweight decks, anything that claims to be Technics-like is just carrying ballast, nothing around of the likes of a Systemdek, Lenco or any number of older brands. Rega and Project are about the only two worth a nod, but how on earth the mag could leave Edwards Audio out (formerly Talk Electronics) is beyond me, not least when they currently offer a range of six turntables from entry level up to about £1500 AND are made in the UK. Huge open goal miss by the magazine.

Last edited:

record_spot

Think has always been the case with WHFI. They've tended to favour certain brands, I've lost count how many times the likes of Cyrus and Roksan have been covered by the magazine.

Then again, have Edwards sent off a turntable for a review yet?

WHF covered an Edwards deck for review in 2021-apparently it had issues with a too-large spindle meaning the WHF records wouldn't fit. Even so, they've updated their range since so I'd expect to see something. Sadly, the likes of HiFi World have bit the dust so magazine reviews are becoming thin on the ground for brands available.

WHF covered an Edwards deck for review in 2021-apparently it had issues with a too-large spindle meaning the WHF records wouldn't fit. Even so, they've updated their range since so I'd expect to see something. Sadly, the likes of HiFi World have bit the dust so magazine reviews are becoming thin on the ground for brands available.
The only one I can find is from 2017.

daytona600

Project , Technics & Rega do have 95% of the global market on TTs
Audio Technica, Teac & 100s of other brands are just chinese re-branded junk & some actually cost more than TTs made in Uk/Eu
Lots of other options on the market
Kestral KT-50 £499 made in the UK Talk/ Edwards components
Rekkord F-100 £499 made in germany

Project , Technics & Rega do have 95% of the global market on TTs
Audio Technica, Teac & 100s of other brands are just chinese re-branded junk & some actually cost more than TTs made in Uk/Eu
Lots of other options on the market
Kestral KT-50 £499 made in the UK Talk/ Edwards components
Rekkord F-100 £499 made in germany

Unfortunately these and plenty of others like Roksan, Origin Live, Fluance etc will always fail to get a mention unless they offer up items to be reviewed.
It's the same with all equipment understandably.

record_spot

Sounds rather good. Should get your feet tapping. Cambridge tables tend to go under the radar.

The WHF review only handed out 3 stars, but others have been pretty glowing. I can swap out the phono stage too - a switch at the back lets you go between the supplied phono stage, or your own. I'll go with my Project Phono Box I think.

The price difference between it and the TT v2 is mostly, as I can tell anyway, down the £500 cartridge and the material used for the plinth in the new more expensive model. Plus the name "Cambridge" is engraved into the alloy. I can live without all of that I think. Anyway, it's on its' way so should be here by the end of the week latest.

The WHF review only handed out 3 stars, but others have been pretty glowing. I can swap out the phono stage too - a switch at the back lets you go between the supplied phono stage, or your own. I'll go with my Project Phono Box I think.

The price difference between it and the TT v2 is mostly, as I can tell anyway, down the £500 cartridge and the material used for the plinth in the new more expensive model. Plus the name "Cambridge" is engraved into the alloy. I can live without all of that I think. Anyway, it's on its' way so should be here by the end of the week latest.
Nice deck apparently, hopefully you got it for a decent price, but why buy one with an inbuilt phono stage unless you intend to use it? Believe it has Bluetooth as well, do you need that?
Curious as it seems to be produced to fit any of their amps that don't have an inbuilt phono stage.

record_spot

Nice deck apparently, hopefully you got it for a decent price, but why buy one with an inbuilt phono stage unless you intend to use it? Believe it has Bluetooth as well, do you need that?
Curious as it seems to be produced to fit any of their amps that don't have an inbuilt phono stage.

I can switch the phono stage out as needed, Bluetooth I might do for very late night listening (and sometimes you just want the easy option). I like the look of the Cambridge - it's a sleek looking thing and different from the run-of-the-mill sub-£500 jobs. I got it for almost half price buying direct from Cambridge and a handy Ebay discount. And, at the very worst, I can return it in 30 days, so my cash is secure if I decide it's not for me.

Reactions: Symples

Doesn't matter WHF say, they only gave 3 stars to the Usher S520 but when I demoed them with a modest amp (Arcam A18) they sounded superb.

Reactions: record_spot
I can switch the phono stage out as needed, Bluetooth I might do for very late night listening (and sometimes you just want the easy option). I like the look of the Cambridge - it's a sleek looking thing and different from the run-of-the-mill sub-£500 jobs. I got it for almost half price buying direct from Cambridge and a handy Ebay discount. And, at the very worst, I can return it in 30 days, so my cash is secure if I decide it's not for me.
I see, excellent buy then.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Had a quick scan through the latest issue on Readly to see what turntables were being covered. Have to say, pretty unimpressed that all the usual suspects were covered, but glaring omissions with the likes of Edwards Audio's current range being wholly overlooked. I've next to no interest in the plastic fantastic decks from the likes of Audio Technica, Teac, et al. Enough room for TWO Audio Technica's I note though in the under £500 section. Pretty dispiriting range to be honest. The over £500 bracket is slightly better with the Technics SL1500 and the Rega P3, but even then, this is an underwhelming effort from a magazine more than capable of delivering better.

I'm looking into a new deck just now - I've been spinning tons of CDs of late on the Kenwood DP-990SG (and if you should ever get the chance on one of these and it's in good condition, grab it - £600 in 1988 means about £1500 or so in today's money - build and sound quality are terrific). There's just a direct cable into the AVI speakers and we're good to go. For vinyl though, today's landscape is deeply dispiriting.

Homogenous build, lightweight decks, anything that claims to be Technics-like is just carrying ballast, nothing around of the likes of a Systemdek, Lenco or any number of older brands. Rega and Project are about the only two worth a nod, but how on earth the mag could leave Edwards Audio out (formerly Talk Electronics) is beyond me, not least when they currently offer a range of six turntables from entry level up to about £1500 AND are made in the UK. Huge open goal miss by the magazine.

Owned the Kenwood DP-1100 SG. It was really heavy though. Well featured machine. They were sold off cheap by Superfi.

Reactions: record_spot

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts