New Amplifiers - What are the current popular options?

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Back when I started showing an interest in HiFi, when sources consisted of vinyl and FM radio, I n my price range I had a choice either a NAD 3020 or an A&R A60 amplifier, it all seemed so easy, having said that I ended up buying a technics SU-V3!

So, if I was interested in buying a new amplifier today, what are the current popular options?

Based on browsing the bewildering array of devices out there I have been eyeing up the NAD C298 or a M23 to use with my present DAC which has built in Volume control, or maybe a NAD M33, as a 'clean the decks' all in one solution.

Tell me, what am I missing out on?

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes that's the one the M33 integrated amplifier. (I see that the HiFi Rose is a similar proposition) I could do this either way, keep my DAC with 'built-in' volume control and use a power amp or start all over and buy an integrated to work with my streamer.

Unlike my first stereo back in 1981, my current source is now streaming only. I currently use an Rpi with my DAC.

The reason for my thread is that I am feeling out of touch with the market and amplifiers in general, integrated or not. I see the brands out there but have no feel for their relative merits. As I started out by saying, back in the day the NAD 3020 or the A&R A60 were seen as obvious choices at their price points, I feel much less confident when staring at the internet based 'shop front' today.

Gray

So, if I was interested in buying a new amplifier today, what are the current popular options?
Like you, my digital comes out of a Digi hat on a RPi - first into separate £100 DACs, but currently into the built-in DAC of a Cyrus i7XR.

If streaming is your only source, I think your power amp idea is a good one (not least because of your 'hardware' control of DAC volume).

Funnily enough that C298 caught my eye when I first saw it.
The price seems (relatively) reasonable too.

You ask what you might be missing.
Well, one of the amps I've had over the years was that original 3020 that you mentioned.
Good though it was, I reckon that 298 would sound significantly better all round.

In your position, I certainly wouldn't rule it out 👍

With the NAD M33 you’re missing out on very little, imo, because it has pretty much everything built in, with a virtually state-of-the-art amplifier to boot. The M23, if I remember the numbers, is the amp alone - and looks a bit pricy by comparison.

Now that’s not to say some might prefer valves, or a slightly crazy class A amp like my Pass Labs, but for 99% the NAD might be all you ever need.

Re the DAC, I can’t recall what you have, so you may lack inputs for other sources. However, the volume controls on them aren’t typically as dependable as on a good preamp, especially if it occasionally starts at 100%. That would potentially damage amp or speakers, so unless you are careful and want to try ‘minimalist’ I’d use the M33 for more user-friendly operation.

matthewpianist

I've heard the NAD M33 with GoldenEar BRX speakers and I thought it sounded outstanding. The build quality is also top-drawer and as a very high quality solution to your needs I think it would be hard to beat.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
Back when I started showing an interest in HiFi, when sources consisted of vinyl and FM radio, I n my price range I had a choice either a NAD 3020 or an A&R A60 amplifier, it all seemed so easy, having said that I ended up buying a technics SU-V3!

Based on browsing the bewildering array of devices out there I have been eyeing up the NAD C298 or a M23 to use with my present DAC which has built in Volume control, or maybe a NAD M33, as a 'clean the decks' all in one solution.

Tell me, what am I missing out on?
If you're planning to add a power amplifier to your existing dac/preamp you really need to demo them, the M23/C298 both use the same power amplifier section, with the M having some refinements. The M23 has three fixed gain levels the C298 is a variable dial.

I'd also see if you can hear a Lyngdorf SDA-2400 power amp uses the same amplifier modules as the M22.

Going with the M33 or C658/C298 NAD amps gives you built in streaming and DIRAC room correction, the Lyngdorf TADI-3400 also has built in streaming andtheir own s/ware called room perfect.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I just purchased the Rega Elicit Mk5. If you’re ok with limited digital options, it’s an amazing amp. I’m not sure about the input selection button, I don’t quite like the touch & click element, but that’s a tiny price to pay for the sound which got me pretty excited.

Along with what I was told is an excellent MC input, the 2 digital inputs is exactly perfect for cd & the WiiM mini to cover my needs. I didn’t even know the Elicit Mk5 was a thing, and it fell beautifully into my lap just as I needed exactly those features on something where the sound blew me away.

I had gone hunting to listen to the Roksan K3, but got distracted by the Caspian M2 with a decent open box deal. I was ok but not thrilled about needing to upgrade my streaming box & buy a phono preamp, absolutely no brainer of an amp if you’ve got those already.

doifeellucky

I just purchased the Rega Elicit Mk5. If you’re ok with limited digital options, it’s an amazing amp. I’m not sure about the input selection button, I don’t quite like the touch & click element, but that’s a tiny price to pay for the sound which got me pretty excited.

Along with what I was told is an excellent MC input, the 2 digital inputs is exactly perfect for cd & the WiiM mini to cover my needs. I didn’t even know the Elicit Mk5 was a thing, and it fell beautifully into my lap just as I needed exactly those features on something where the sound blew me away.

I had gone hunting to listen to the Roksan K3, but got distracted by the Caspian M2 with a decent open box deal. I was ok but not thrilled about needing to upgrade my streaming box & buy a phono preamp, absolutely no brainer of an amp if you’ve got those already.
I’m interested in the Elicit, and others circa this price, like the Exposure 3510. What is your existing amp and speakers? Is it a significant improvement?

There have been a few reports of the digital inputs malfunctioning (on the Elex mk4 also) so keep an eye on it. Apparently Rega have not specifically acknowledged it but have replaced faulty units.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I’m interested in the Elicit, and others circa this price, like the Exposure 3510. What is your existing amp and speakers? Is it a significant improvement?

There have been a few reports of the digital inputs malfunctioning (on the Elex mk4 also) so keep an eye on it. Apparently Rega have not specifically acknowledged it but have replaced faulty units.
Thanks for the heads up on the potential error, will bear that in mind if anything plays up.

Should be a significant step up- current amp is Marantz PM6006 UK with Monitor Audio Silver 300, hoping there’s a lot more to come from those. I haven’t got the amp at home yet, that’s something to look forward to at the weekend 😊

Reactions: doifeellucky

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Bit later than expected, managed to get the amp home today.

Super interesting: compared to the Marantz PM6006 UK (with loudness on) there is a lot less bass & the sound feels colder. Took out the plugs from the back of the speakers & that helped a lot.

In general, a lot more presence to the sound at low volumes, and can definitely hear improved clarity & detail in the instruments & separation. Stereo is even more pronounced.

It gets hot quickly, but seems to stay at the same temp. Need to keep an eye on that as space is forcing the turntable to sit on the amp.

I guess I need to run this for a good few hours before I can start to really critique the sound. In general it’s a massive step up & it sounds delightful. Just a little clinical with my speakers on first listen.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Bit later than expected, managed to get the amp home today.

Super interesting: compared to the Marantz PM6006 UK (with loudness on) there is a lot less bass & the sound feels colder. Took out the plugs from the back of the speakers & that helped a lot.

In general, a lot more presence to the sound at low volumes, and can definitely hear improved clarity & detail in the instruments & separation. Stereo is even more pronounced.

It gets hot quickly, but seems to stay at the same temp. Need to keep an eye on that as space is forcing the turntable to sit on the amp.

I guess I need to run this for a good few hours before I can start to really critique the sound. In general it’s a massive step up & it sounds delightful. Just a little clinical with my speakers on first listen.
If I were you I would not put anything on top of the amp. If it gets hot it has to be able to dissipate the heat. Surely you can find a solution to keeping the amp top clear.

Reactions: Revolutions

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
But might that be because you're comparing with the loudnessed Marantz?

And that turntable - I'd be doing whatever it took to get it well away from the amp....no way directly on it 😱
If I were you I would not put anything on top of the amp. If it gets hot it has to be able to dissipate the heat. Surely you can find a solution to keeping the amp top clear.
Thanks for the tip. The amp is a lot smaller than the Marantz, which couldn’t fit on the shelf below the turntable, so will try that. That might cause a problem for the cd player, but that’s hardly the critical part of my setup.

*edit* solution not ideal, yet works for the 1 in 20 times I’m likely to put on a cd…

IMG-0718.jpg

Last edited:

Gray

Thanks for the tip. The amp is a lot smaller than the Marantz, which couldn’t fit on the shelf below the turntable, so will try that. That might cause a problem for the cd player, but that’s hardly the critical part of my setup.

*edit* solution not ideal, yet works for the 1 in 20 times I’m likely to put on a cd…

IMG-0718.jpg
Nice old fashioned cabinet (y)
Apart from the heat / ventilation issue, getting some distance between TT and amp avoids electromagnetic interference (You've got a massive mains transformer in the amp and a highly amplified couple of coils in your cartridge - sensitive to hum pickup).

You've probably got enough distance there.....but I'd be checking - with the volume control at normal listening level and no record playing - that there is no sign of hum on speakers or headphones.

All will be perfect once you tell your partner to lose that plant - it's got no place on a speaker....imagine that getting knocked off onto a playing record - or being watered a bit carelessly.
If I sound like a fussy old git, it's because I am.
Hi-fi takes priority for me...as it should for everyone here (y)

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Nice old fashioned cabinet (y)
Apart from the heat / ventilation issue, getting some distance between TT and amp avoids electromagnetic interference (You've got a massive mains transformer in the amp and a highly amplified couple of coils in your cartridge - sensitive to hum pickup).

You've probably got enough distance there.....but I'd be checking - with the volume control at normal listening level and no record playing - that there is no sign of hum on speakers or headphones.

All will be perfect once you tell your partner to lose that plant - it's got no place on a speaker....imagine that getting knocked off onto a playing record - or being watered a bit carelessly.
If I sound like a fussy old git, it's because I am.
Hi-fi takes priority for me...as it should for everyone here (y)
Thanks, I love the cabinet. Sadly mid-priced flatpack, not proper craftsmanship. I wish it had more vinyl storage & room to fit the cd player. Then again that would make it different unit 😁

One of the best things about the new amp is zero noise when turntable is on (and when records are spinning between songs etc).

I live by myself - but I’m a clumsy git & getting a bit older, so should probably move it. Dropping on it on the turntable would indeed be a travesty 🫣

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Ha clumsy
Thanks, I love the cabinet. Sadly mid-priced flatpack, not proper craftsmanship. I wish it had more vinyl storage & room to fit the cd player. Then again that would make it different unit 😁

One of the best things about the new amp is zero noise when turntable is on (and when records are spinning between songs etc).

I live by myself - but I’m a clumsy git & getting a bit older, so should probably move it. Dropping on it on the turntable would indeed be a travesty 🫣
Ha ha clumsy huh. Yeah I'm clumsy. I have to be careful when getting within a few feet of the hi-fi. Or putting CDs in the tray.

Reactions: Revolutions

Gray

....I wish it had more vinyl storage & room to fit the cd player. Then again that would make it different unit 😁
It would.
I promise to stop telling you what I would do.....but 🙄

An extension shelf, if only to raise the CDP off the floor.
Could be an invisible support under the CDP, but attached to the bottom of the cab.
(Nothing that would permanently alter the appearance of the cab - should you ever decide to remove it).

Maybe just ignore me - my hi-fi cab is a heavily modified Ikea double wardrobe 😆.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
IKEA have lots of storage solutions :)
Failing that a wall mounted shelf for the turntable.
I’m out of space with 2 kallax units thanks to books & vinyl. It never ends (because I keep buying them 😊)

Wall mount for turntable is what I had in mind. I’m in a rented place & might be out in 6 months so not sure if I can be bothered with drilling & filling for the sake of the cd player that I can’t see when I’m sat on the sofa

Reactions: WayneKerr and Gray

Roog

May 20, 2016
Visit site
If you're planning to add a power amplifier to your existing dac/preamp you really need to demo them, the M23/C298 both use the same power amplifier section, with the M having some refinements. The M23 has three fixed gain levels the C298 is a variable dial.

I'd also see if you can hear a Lyngdorf SDA-2400 power amp uses the same amplifier modules as the M22.

Going with the M33 or C658/C298 NAD amps gives you built in streaming and DIRAC room correction, the Lyngdorf TADI-3400 also has built in streaming andtheir own s/ware called room perfect.
Thank you James, the Lyndorf looks like and interesting option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts