Wilmslow Audio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
AEJim:Richard Allen:

Just goes to show James, they're not all they're cracked up to be. I'm glad I don't have to use them.
emotion-19.gif

Absolutely, the older design team spent a ridiculous amount on some flashy agency which gave us some nice computer renders but nothing we wanted to use! I've just simplified most things and it generally looks better - clean and pure works for me over garish and "bling" any day of the week.

Also James, look at it from the engineer's point of view. Wheeled into a meeting with a 'so called Industrial designer', given a horrendous shape with bling, glitz and the like, and then told "MAKE IT WORK!!!!". Dunno about your boys but I really hate ID's with a passion with the excception of 1. Phil Hansen.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:

drummerman:Why has my post about World Audio been removed?

It hasn't DM. It's on the 1st page and my reply to it.

Thanks Richard, not that one. I posted another one. Never mind.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Balderdash:

Richard, thanks for the advice. I do intend to visit Wilmslow and in addition through this conversation I have become aware of Acraydis products. I like the idea of the DM1 and am pleased that a quality product is available at that price point. The EB1 also looks good for my needs.

Do you feel the DM1 & Cyrus 8vs would work well for listening to the likes of Neil Young, Nick Drake and the occasional bit of White Stripes? If so i would look for a suitable set of stands and make a decision. If you feel that the EB1 justifies the extra cost then I'd focus on that model.

There are quite a few people who use Cyrus with our gear and are very happy with it. Good for them. Personally?, leaves me a bit cold.
emotion-8.gif

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if anyone had experience of making their own speakers from a kit or more specifically from Wilmslow Audio (based in Leicestershire).

Having spent a fair amount of time considering my options i.e. off the shelf new, used and ex demo I decided to visit Wilmslow and see what they had to offer. Prior to this I had listened to a number of speakers including active models but hadn't found anything that I felt would completely satisfy me for a good number of years. At Wilmslow, I listened to a set of Gemini 2 stand mounts that would cost around £900. This was well over my £550 budget but convinced me that Wilmslow can indeed supply very capable and very well finished speakers. After further thought I opted for a set of compact floor standers using twin bass/midrange drive units and a treble. The cabinets calculations were made on my behalf using Joseph D'Appolito principles and made of real wood veneered MDF and the crossover designed and assembled by Wilmslow.

The result - beautifully finished speakers with exceptional clarity and imaging and all made to my own specifications. Wilmslow is well worth a visit.

garrywhiting

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Having owned 2 pairs of wilmslow audio speakers in the last 20 years I can assure you that you will NOT be able to by a new manufactured speaker costing less than two grand that will sound as good as a £500 wilmslow audio kit speaker. Manufactured speakers don't even come close. Wilmslow audio speakers have very high end cross overs inside them that no manufacturer could ever provide and still make a profit after paying wages for the cabinets to be made up. Wilmslow have no middle men involved such as a hifi shop to pay. They are also the biggest supplier of drive units in the uk. The drivers in even their lower price kits are still much better than the drivers in manufactured speakers costing twice as much. My wilmslow vogues with hovland musicaps, pure silver wire and silver circuit board, scan speak carbon drivers, and scan speak fabric dome 9500 tweeters cost me £800 in all to build and a friend of mine spent far more on Castle floorstanders only to be gutted because his castles didn't even come close, his own very words. These kits are so easy to put together, and think of this, anything hidden from sight in a speaker, the manufacturer is most likely going to use only the very cheapest components, The labour cost of making the cabinets is higher than the price of the component used. wilmslow kits have extremely low labour costs and have the very highest standard components inside them, you can check this for yourself. Get the Kit speaker don't even hesitate.

Garry Whitingd

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Balderdash said:
Many thanks for the thoughts. I was interested to know the price of the units that are used in your N-Sats - It seems like a reasonable percentage of the overall cost.

Perhaps I can ask you one further question, namely can you suggest a great set of £500 bookshelf speakers that will give me really good clarity (the sort of floating vocals and transparent instruments that I aim towards). I am interested in used speakers, ex demo or new -anything really, and I want something that will keep me happy for a few years at least. I mainly play through itunes, dac magic, Cyrus 8vs and occasionally on old CD63 KI Sig. My current speakers KEF Q35 MK2 which I have enjoyed but feel they sometimes sound "confused", struggling to keep coherent.

I have enjoyed music for many years but do find the endless upgrade path quite daunting especially when considering finding a suitable partner for existing kit.

Thanks

I'd try to find a second-hand pair of Sonus Faber Concertos. They are often on the usual bidding site for around £500-£600.

I had a pair of these, and they were quite superb at vocals and acoustic instruments. They actually worked very well with Valve Amps too, being a relatively easy drive. Bi-wiring improved their focus, transparency and bass definition too. They are very musical, easy on the ear and certainly not bass light. They also look great too!

Really wish I'd kept mine, as I'm setting up another system in a different part of the house.

tazzman600

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
The Wilmslow Audio in Leicester is not the original one which started about 40 years ago actuality in Wilmslow. They sold up to a guy who kept the name and moved the business. I dealt with him.about 20 years ago regarding replacement tweeters for my beloved kef 102's which he duly helped.
From the original Wilmslow Audio I bought a custom designed subwoofer for my kefs in kit form and the kit was suberb detail. It put together excellently and I still have it near 30 years later. I also bought a 6th order bandpass subwoofer kit from them and it too was superbly made and fitted excellently ( that was for car use and I still have that too and works superb as does the other one)
Don't be put off because it's a kit form. The kits are so well made that anyone can make them up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts