What is the limit of my QUAD 909 power amplifier?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Been a while! Looking at upgrading my Dynaudio Excite X-12's. Can my QUAD happily run the likes of Dynaudio Contour 1.4's or PMC Twenty .22's I have a B&W PV1d I would pair with either if needed or would I be better off moving back to the Dynaudio Focus 260 or PMC Twenty .23's and get rid of the sub? Thats IF my Quad is up to the job.

Thanks,

DJ

jmjones

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi DJ,

I would have thought 140wpc from a power amp was enough to drive any of the speakers listed without an issue. The only way to answer the question on the subwoofer is by listening to the alternatives - a lot comes down to personal preference.

Having tried a sub-woofer in my system I decided against it, mainly for two reasons - I thought it didn't add much to my system (decent floorstanders) and if I cranked it up, the kids could not sleep upstairs.

Spending the kind of money you are talking about gives you the right to expect a decent improvement!

I've been using my speakers for over 15 years, but have always been more than happy with the results. The reason I remain happy is that I spent a considerable amount of time demo-ing alternatives before purchase. I brought alternatives home, lugged my old speakers to the dealer for side-by-side comparisons, etc. I am shocked by the number of people on this website who appear to buy things "blind". Don't do it, most particularly for speaker systems.

Happy listening!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts