What are your thoughts on my audio conundrum

matthj6

Mar 21, 2023
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade, not really worth mentioning my current system other than my recently acquired Dali Spektor 2’s

So, as much as I am an audiophile I simply don’t have the funds to spend and upgrades, spend and upgrade.
With that in mind, I am old school in that I come from the CD, amp and speakers generation. Although the wife is of a much younger generation and likes the convenience of streaming music, and is most certainly not an audiophile!

So down to my conundrum…

I have two systems in mind…
Rega Brio with a Marantz CD 6006se or 6007 - this is my choice but doesn’t address the wife’s needs and although I’d happily buy the Marantz secondhand I’d rather buy the amp new for the lifetime warranty and peace of mind as I have read about amp issues.
If I went this way, what would be the best cost effective way to get streaming added in to appease the wife?

Or am I best just to plump with a technics SA-C600 as it kind of ticks all boxes and would look neater in the bedroom where it would live. Aesthetics is more to please the lady.

Cost isn’t much different either way and I will look at upgrading the speakers as my one and only upgrade at a later date once the wife has forgotten the grand I’ve already spent 😂

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
1) Get an amp with an optical input, get a CD transport, get a Wiim Mini, stream from the Mini to the optical input. Don’t use the Mini analogue output.

2) Get an amp with streaming support and get a CD transport. The AudioLab 6000a Play does that, and there are some at £630 online. The Bluesound Powernode (Edge) does that too. There is a Yamaha at £900 that includes a CD player, worth listening to it IMO.

3) Get an amp with Airplay support, and a CD transport. Stream from your iPhone to the amp using Airplay. The disadvantage is that the music is streamed to the iPhone and then from the iPhone to the amp, doubling the wifi bandwidth used.

matthj6

Mar 21, 2023
Visit site
1) Get an amp with an optical input, get a CD transport, get a Wiim Mini, stream from the Mini to the optical input. Don’t use the Mini analogue output.

2) Get an amp with streaming support and get a CD transport. The AudioLab 6000a Play does that, and there are some at £630 online. The Bluesound Powernode (Edge) does that too. There is a Yamaha at £900 that includes a CD player, worth listening to it IMO.

3) Get an amp with Airplay support, and a CD transport. Stream from your iPhone to the amp using Airplay. The disadvantage is that the music is streamed to the iPhone and then from the iPhone to the amp, doubling the wifi bandwidth used.

I did look into the cd transport option, but kind of parked that as I liked the sound of the Brio but the Brio being analogue is no good for the wife’s needs or indeed a cd transport

matthj6

Mar 21, 2023
Visit site
Yes, sort of. There are several all-in-one systems that will do the job. Choose the one that is best for you both.
A sage answer, I have to say I am an old dinosaur who is tighter than a ducks rear end. But recently I bought a HomePod mini which came with free Apple Music and the convenience is great.
the sound through the home of mini however is far from great.

TRENDING THREADS